Does bootlicking exist in real life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by phonebinder, Jun 30, 2021.

?

Does bootlicking exist?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. phonebinder

phonebinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a lot of webnovels with bootlicking so I was curious of whether it exists in real life. I didn't go outside in a long time due to covid so I don't really remember. Can you guys care to give examples of bootlicking if it does exist. Thanks

2. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, a lot, especially in working world. I assume you arent quite there yet if you’ve never seen or even forgotten bout em

3. phonebinder

phonebinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats why I'm scared. I'm trying to practice bootlicking for the future, but I'm horrible at it. I'm going to fail in the working world lol.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm still learning the ropes [of said skill] from my seniors. :blobhero:

It is the second important stage that marks a child's growth, the first being tying their own shoelaces.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  5. ryuu28

ryuu28 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A common example is the trope of the yes man. It is common for people to have troubles disagreeing with the bosses ideas, so they just agree and say the idea is good. That is how somethings that you question why they are ever produced happens.

6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally? Or metaphorically? If you mean literally, I imagine it does exist as a very specific niche fetish, but I’m not going to go google that to find out. If you mean metaphorically, yes, absolutely.

Depends on the type of boss you have. I’ve gotten along just fine without it so far, but I’m currently unemployed. Last job I had, I got let go when there was a new boss and they decided to clean out a bit, but my direct boss who was also let go, seemed to appreciate my work, so I don’t think it was a me problem.

reagents 11 likes this.
  7. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it’s anything like the hamfisted portrayals shown in these novels, but there’s no doubt that it happens though.

8. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    American's usually call it ass kissing.

9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    XD 18 votes for yes and 0 votes for no

Yeah, bootlicking's real. There's even lots of other terms for it and stuff! :cookie:

10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever watch Aggretsuko? Watch for the character named Komiya, he usually hang around the Pig Boss (Ton) character

Beren likes this.
  11. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While bad bootlicking is easily discernable, good bootlicking is almost impossible to see at first glance.

Bootlicking involves aspects that garner goodwill from a party you would like to gain it from.
    This can be as trivial as looking kempt/wearing something professional or simply born beautiful.

Depending on the effect you would like to achieve, a polite conversation, a brief smile, or if you are a female, a small touch is all you need.
    While the touch may work for a small percentage of guys, it works for the overwhelming majority of girls that doesn't look like ugly goblins.
    Especially if the bootlicking target is a male/lesbian.

So to answer your question: Yes, bootlicking exists in real life.

A warning: While no one likes bootlickers, everyone likes being praised and honeyed with words.
    So while hard and too obvious bootlicking will get you a bad reputation and the stigma of being a sucker for people with authority, a small bootlick there, another small bootlick here will make life easier.

reagents 11 likes this.
  12. LWolf

LWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course there is! it's pretty much a neccesity for politics... and in office-based enviroments it tends to make things easier on your way up (not so much with your peers however)... even a bit of low -level bootlicking serves as a lube in those enviroments... like the classic move of gifting snacks to your boss, bringing coffee unprompted... and by the way it's not exclusive of a work enviroment... even in academics it's useful... if a teacher likes you they can go easier on your papers (provided they are not pure ****)...

13. ryuu28

ryuu28 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey proper gentlepeople call it Brown Nosing.

14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if this would be called bootlicking, but I became friends with my boss even before I knew he was my boss. we met at a car show for classic cars mostly muscle cars and I was participating with my dad's car a 70s challenger (we didn't win any prizes it wasn't a contest). he fell in love with my dad's car. and you know how this goes in popped the hood showed him the engine and since we were inside we aren't allowed to turn the car on at least not when the event is ongoing.

Cut to 3 weeks boss shows up to work I was still new hire and we don't work in the same floor so he rarely comes down, but then he spots me and we start talking about cars and stuff and I told him I was going to the race track and if he wanted to come. (I let him use my dad's car and he was like a little kid who just got his favorite toy.)

that's when your kissing it so deep you stain your nose.!! XD

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Just be kind to everyone and you should be fine. No need to worry about social hierarchy that way.

16. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One girl spent months studying the Star Wars movies, stuff about pop culture, and the related actors to get a promotion from a Star Wars fan.

In real life, social skills tend to matter more than actual competence. It isn't as exaggerated as in the novels, but between someone you get along with and a worker you hardly talk to, 2/3 times the bootlicker will get preferential treatment.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  17. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s cuz working with a good team member is better than the one that doesn’t care about communication

18. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Boot licking, coat tail riding, ass kissing, the whole package. Especially in big businesses I'm sure~ I've seen it a lot in stories. The only 'sucking up' I've seen in RL has been mild cases at school, or passing by a scene in a store. It's very much alive still.

19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's real.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So come, lick Ai-chan's feet.
    [​IMG]

reagents 11 and ongoingwhy like this.
  20. God slayer