What do boys and girls think of harems?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by phonebinder, Jul 3, 2021.

?

What do boys and girls think of harems?

1. I'm a girl and I absolutely detest harem no matter what

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. I'm a boy and I absolutely detest harem no matter what

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. I'm a girl and I'm okay with harem as long as its good

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I'm a boy and I'm okay with harem as long as its good

31 vote(s)
    39.7%
  5. I'm a girl and I love harem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm a boy and I love harem

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. I'm a girl and if I see a harem novel, I'll I ignore it right away

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. I'm a boy and if I see a harem novel, I'll I ignore it right away

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im a guy and while I dont go out of my way to look for harem titles They generally dont bother me either. Overall I prefer mono relations but I enjoy my trashy harems too

2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Chaotic emperor
    Sex: Male
    Affiliation: I like harem when they are good, but I hate when they just start adding women just because all women should land on the main character's D.

Template was stolen from Otaku31

3. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Female
    I’ll bare with it if the story has good plot . I have areas quite a few reverse harems tho. I don’t go looking for them . It just pops up sometimes in the stories I read. They do annoy me sometimes but I try to ignore the harem. Harem is just meh I don’t enjoy it nor do I hate it.

4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    sex : male.
    i don't mind harem, but usualy i read them when there isn't any other novels that pick my interest.

5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    im a male cat.
    i like harems. (1 male and many females).

i detest reverse harem. (1 female and many males)

my reason?
    1. in harems, you spread your seed in many females thus making sure the continuation of your lineage. if done right, you wont end getting your genitals cut-off.

2. reverse harem is filthy. in my POV, all i see is the female having tons of male genitals using her. dont you say that stories dont happen like that. what do you expect? male and females in their prime just doing tea parties and just smiling all day?

6. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the top choices and the bottom choices are pretty much the same, so your results would be skewed.

I'm a guy in the middle: I like harems for
    1. partial wish fulfillment, and
    2. more romcom hijinks potential than regular romance
    , but I'm particular about the harems I read

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  7. grass_is_tasty

grass_is_tasty Grass is more than just weed.

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know man, it is kinda hot though.

8. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a girl, whenever I read an action novel/manga and I sense a harem, I would usually dip very quickly. The most common development of those novels ends up with the girls being brainless and, of course, weaker then the male(s).
    In shounen, at first, the females might be described as strong or smart but under the influence of the MC they become like any other pebble on the side of the road - except the good looks of course (;. For me, most of the time they seem to be there just to be there and I need to waste precious brainpower just to keep track on who is who, and who did what. Just a pain for the most part.
    With shoujo/josei the men tend to be very stereotypical, where even the cute one turns out to be a goddamn phsyco, and whatever strengths the FL initially had is overshadowed - which isn't really fun :c
    As such I just tend to avoid harems, which is a shame since many of them might genuinely be good reads.

9. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me clear this first, I love harem but I will never make an harem. I remember about my friend that had many woman before but now I can say this clearly, I feel sympathy to them now.

It's because if you want to make harem, the most is important to have is Money, physical, strong heart, and woman.

Money don't need to say how important is. Without money, even how handsome you are will not make stomach full. Especially if you had many wife to handle.

Physical, you might think I say face but no. The physical I say is about intercourse. 2 maybe you can do it but more than that will tired you to death and I can say that I can't do it each day. Maybe I can do 2-3 but that I mean in week. I feel amazing for the ancient emperor had harem more that 10. How did their do it?

Strong heart.... If you don't had this then I can tell you that you family will be in chaos. As the head of family, you need sometimes to make an hard choices. If you had weak heart, then I believe you will die fast. Believe me, I see it happen few time.

You need to find a woman that had open minded. If not, war will happen. Even if the war end... It will happen again and again. It's hard to find a woman that happy to her husband had another woman.

As I don't had, time, money, strong heart, or physical to do it, harem is just an burden to me. More like punishment.
    Ps: one of my friend had many girl is living like a slave to search money for her girl and ironic, one of the girl cheating he with another guy.

10. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Female

there are a (very)few Chinese ones that are written fairly well with the harem integrated into the plot instead of taking it over so I don't write them off completely, but I've recently I'm finding them annoying as hell so I filtered both out of my releases page.

11. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    Sex:Female

Not really a fan, the trope in itself isn't appealing when I don't understand romantic attraction in the first place. Many harems throw characterization out the window for the sake of harem, and when I say that I mean both ways reverse or not. Done well, I'll bear with it, if a character's sole personality trait is liking the MC, burn it with fireee

I agree with the part about "who will she pick" when there's multiple possible love interests. They basically have an otome game without the option of choosing or even knowing who you are going in for. Not many go true harem. And most of the time, the nicer one is always the second or third ml or something and a douchebag gets picked instead. :sushi_dead:

12. Arkanth

Arkanth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care much for harems, but I mostly read CN xianxia/xuanhuan, so... there's no way to avoid them

13. Mopeah

Mopeah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a girl and I most always avoid the harem novels. Someone mentioned there are two types of harems, one that actually has one person surrounded by men/women and they're dating/having sex and the other that is just someone surrounded by men/women who want to date them or have a crush on this person, but the person in question is either single or in a committed relationship with one other person.

Usually in the harem genre the plot centers around a high school dweeb or author's self fulfilling fantasy while they're getting bombarded with women who want to fuck them. Or they 'seduce' or 'conquer' a different type of girl every 50 chapters and move on to the next rank of women in a higher realm, while the older women are pushed to the side and forgotten without a clear break and they're expected to wait another 300 chapters for their husband to come back with a trail of other girls he seduced. This is mostly Chinese harem fantasy novels and sometimes they're REALLY bad. Like, a lot of them skirt the line of consent and it's really icky to read.

A lot of Japanese harem manga don't have a plot. It's just a lot of contemporary or isekai BS with a bland background and a lot of "oh, no I've fallen and my breasts/lips/ass has accidently come into contact with your face." Sometimes there's a harem novel that has a decent plot to look into like Mushoku Tensei, but the harem put me off. At least the idea of the harem is talked about and acknowledged and there's a level of self awareness. There's an argument to make that it's all a parody of the harem genre, but some scenes still skeve me out and there's soooooo many incels online who will defend the asshole decisions some of the trash people make in this anime/novel.

I have no problem with harems that aren't actual harems and are actually entertaining for the non ecchi factor. For example, Ouran high school host club and Irregular at magic high school (the incest does freak me out)

14. ajhearne

ajhearne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this guy came from ancient China then he learnt how to use our technology and now he's communicating with us. Back when he was in ancient China he was a therapist for emperors and there people in polyomas relationships. Look at how he talks about there being war

If the harem is done by someone other than the mc then I hate it less because at least there's no attempt to justify the harem for instance "I didn't want to hurt their feelings" as though it would be less hurtful to find out the person you love is in love with 4 different people instead of just being rejected.

15. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems are fine as long as it's bigger on the 'romance' aspect than the 'collecting' aspect. No humongous harems with harem members being there just for the sake of being there!! :blobspearpeek:

16. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like harems mainly bc in irl have heard stories where people had two wives and big family but conflicts and stuff or just well y'know. So I guess reality makes me view these harem stories as well unrealistic and wish fulfillment for some, but definitely not for me. Ofc, there are some that in harem or poly relationships and all involved are happy. Also heard a lot about these harem stories and how the characters basically become trophy wifes or pokemon collection after being added to the harem and does nothing else to the plot after. I do watch some cn dramas where its in the palace so yeah there's a harem but of course, the ladies do not all get along and some especially have snakes up their sleeves; sometimes wonder if its just too much always fighting but realistically, its more realistic edge. Sometimes a story that's a bit too out there just doesn't pull my interest compared to a story that is more reliable to some real world stuff in some way, but granted just enough realistic touch but set in a more happy story route/ending. I did found some reverse harem and it was interesting but I don't really read or finish it all; heck even bxg stories where there's no harem I haven't really read and finished completely in awhile tbh...

Villager Anonymous likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    watching firestorm on other side of shore while munching popcorn, cakes and snack sometime just grinning along or laughing when see carnage blow up, on rare occasion it good show fill with enjoyable drama~

thats harem for this cat~
    such thing is fun to watch from sideline but pain on da butt if happen at home~

18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a fan of harems for the T&A. Then again, depending on the premise, it might be a harem that I detest and not like the series as a whole or at least not follow.

19. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    .... I don't like harem and thus don't read any novel that have harem tag.:blobsip::blobsip::blobsip: and I don't think I ever will. After all I read novel to pass time and there's no need to force myself to read something I don't like.

20. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Then ill replace the female with condom...
    Yeah someones gonna bark at me for this. So any feminist in here, fuck off.

So you will use a "used" condom with cum inside of it without cleaning it, putting it on and using for round 2. Sure, sounds sanitary.