Question about using too many "he" and "his" in a single sentence.

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Eishun, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for helping to improve the following sentence (in bold).

However, he also knew that his father had his own emotional burdens to carry, so he could not say anything to intervene.

In the above sentence, I don't think i have quite made it clear who's who. I mean, when I say "his father had his," do you understand that the father was the one with the emotional burdens and not the "he" at the start of the sentence?

And when I say, "so he could not," do you understand that the "he" here no longer refers to the father but to the first "he"?

PS: The reason why I started the sentence with "he" is because I've already used the person's name in the sentence before. I thought repeating "James" over and over again make it sound... not nice?

Cerene likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty clear to me when taken in context. The 'his' in "his emotional burdens" obviously refers to the father while the 'he' in "he could not say anything to intervene" refers to the son. Elementary English, really. You're just overthinking. :blob_tilt:

3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you're not crazy excessive about it in the rest of the paragraph, it looks fine. If you are being excessive about it, I believe the saying, "show, don't tell" should be used.

Deleted member 348269 and Eishun like this.
  4. navybluecake

navybluecake Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand it easily. Or you can add he,as the son,

Cerene and Eishun like this.
  5. Cerene

Cerene The Abandoned Woman

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. It's pretty clear. Don't worry.

6. Haniyeh

Haniyeh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's clear who is who. Don't worry!

7. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy way to make this sentence flow better is to replace the first "he" with his name.

Example: However, John also knew that his father had his own emotional burdens to carry, so he could not say anything to intervene.

8. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, grammatically, yes, the second "his" is technically an ambiguous pronoun because you're technically not supposed to have the same pronouns refer to different people in the same sentence. However, most native speakers will understand what you mean.

You could also vary sentence structure to get around this: However, knowing that his father also had emotional burdens to carry, he could not say anything to intervene.

9. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Focusing purely on the he/his/him issue, I would only make minor changes, since it can be easily understood, even without outside context. Specifically, I would change it to:

"However, he also knew that his father had their own emotional burden to carry, so he could not say anything to intervene".

The only change is that I am changing the term for James's father's from "his" to a more removed "their", so to prevent any possible confusion. This results in, for this sentence only, all the he/his/him to refer to James, while the other indicative pronoun, "their", being used to indicate the father in question. I'm not certain if others would consider this use of "their" to be 100% grammatically correct, but it solves the issue you were having without retooling the entire sentence or changing its structure in any way.

CadmarLegend and Eishun like this.
  10. Smileflower

Smileflower Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand it pretty clearly