Discussion Why do authors avoid romance only to force it later on?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 314196, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Question: Why do authors make it so the Mc can't answer to someone's feelings?
    I get that the author themselves wish to move on with the plot first... But, its just that by that time, its all too forced to be interesting...
    Throughout the story the mc only focuses on his goal and doesn't answer any romantic feels, but as soon as the story ends, a random love interest is introduced, because the author wishes to continue the story, and the mc just suddenly fall madly in love? Why? It just ruins everything thats been built up till now...
    And then we got those stupid ones where the mc is hung up on their childhood promise and rejects everyone because "the promise they made to each other as a CHILD to marry each other must be absolute"

{Everything stated above is just personal opinion}

Dr_H_16, Cerene and Reader_Yana like this.
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    the virgin effect.

or you know. the tension makes you comment more, even in anger. which boosts the algorithm by a slight
    or the author is simply a virgin
    or the author doesn't know how to write romance at all.
    or whatever. who cares

kyoshijiro likes this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? Can't say I've seen many of those myself. Maybe you're just reading the wrong novels?

Jojo775 likes this.
  4. Reader_Yana

Reader_Yana Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly feel that same it's especially with shounen it just feels so out of place like??
    I just feel like romance ruins the whole story when the theme is not romance itself because I never search for romance but I always get it when I did not ask like I will search romance when I want romance but I do not and it's frustrating because it could've been so good and then, garbage sigh

Dr_H_16, seemanta and MillenniumMoon like this.
  5. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think this one is that stupid unless his/her partner doesn't want to fulfil the promise.

It can be because MC has a goal that he/she desperately wants to fulfil and doesn't want any distraction. Or maybe the MC isn't ready for romance. Or maybe MC just is the type that doesn't think about romance at all.

It can also be that the author just doesn't want to write romance because they can't but is forced by their reader. I don't know, there can be plenty of reasons.

6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's not a very good story then, right? But yeah, what you mention is the effect of lack of planning. Most people create a story without thinking about where they want it to go. Some then develop a good chunk of the story before they do a rewrite and polish it up, but thankfully they haven't published anything yet.

But when it comes to webnovels, they're publishing as soon as fingers hit the keyboard. It doesn't help that ratings and reader comments can influence the direction of the story.

Dr_H_16, Fluffums, MMWO and 1 other person like this.
  7. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Because people can't have a male and female character be platonic for a long period of time unless they are siblings and if every girl has a bf around the protagonist it will make the audience feel like he is constantly cucked. It can also do with lengthening the story

8. Cerene

Cerene The Abandoned Woman

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? Can't say I've seen many of those myself. Maybe you're just reading the wrong novels? (2)

Jojo775 likes this.
  9. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds like shonen/seinen korean webnovel in a nutshell, most of them sucks at romance and slice of life

Can't say the same to jp web/lightnovels that i read though, most of them wrote it like jrpg boy meets girl though most of it are exaggerated into harem or drama

10. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The one I'm reading the childhood friend has been off the face of the earth for 5 years(well, almost 10 at the part I'm on)...(it has yet to be disproven that she isn't reincarnated in the same world....)

Kuh- must be correct since I arrived at this conclusion by reading JP WN/LNs... (like I've only read less than 3 chapter of a novel that wasn't Japanese)

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  11. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Then that's indeed a little stupid. Maybe the MC is the type that just can't move on.

12. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A proper romance requires certain levels of fidelity to reality that most authors don't intend to follow.

So the 'love' you see simply serves as a means to an end. Be it self-fulfillment harem or the author's concept of closing act.

Childhood friends with unrealistic crushes, random promises to marry each other, or even falling in love with someone for basic human decency are just cheat codes that are used to skip over the difficult parts of writing a story.

13. Deleted member 367916

Deleted member 367916 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    'cuz the author wanna rush the 'end' + true happiness= true love! IMO, that's the reason!!!

asriu likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Money
    2. Forced by editor or publisher
    3. Paying readers request it in a poll

asriu likes this.
  15. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly notice this phenomenon in shounen mangas like Bleach, Naruto, and etc. Even though the protagonists have shown no romantic interests to these female characters throughout the whole story, suddenly they fall in love with them in the end/epilogue/sequel. Feels like it's just the author pandering towards their fans and also not knowing how to write a believable romance. :facepalm:

16. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say it depends more on how the author is writing the work. If the author is writing chapter-by-chapter, there is less likely to be a well-developed outline of where the plot is going and how characters are going to develop. Often, these types of novels are influenced by their reader's comments and how their editor/agent responds.

It's difficult to add in character development to allow a change in a character's point-of-view visible to the reader in only a few chapters. At least, that's my opinion when I've seen forced pairing. However, when an author is needing income and sacrificing their character's chastity and emotional well-being is still an option, it's an easy decision to make.

I'd think if you look at all the early novels and match it against an author's lifestyle and emergency events, you'd see a direct correlation in how their novel's development unfolded.

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    chastity?
    For a second there, I thought this was the 1600s.
    What you said is just wrong on so many levels.
    Reminds me of those fans of Kpop idols who attack the girlfriends of celebrities for ruining the chastity of their Celebrity crush.

Chastity does not exist. At least not the type people who use the word think.
    Sex is not unclean.

18. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read manga for years to realize this but this is actually so true....

19. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that is it. If hinata wins by chapter 200 why do people care about the hinata v sakura war? It is to keep everyone reading. The shippers include.

Actual I think there is something way worst than this.
    Harem manga in which you know only one girl will win and no of the other girls get pair up with anyone else.

20. Zissel

Zissel Blue Blue Gold❣❣

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually read the title as "Why do aunties avoid romance only to force it later on?" :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

Deleted member 314196 likes this.