Resolved Has anyone else received this spam mail from "Norton Billing Department"?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Eishun, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The mail goes like this:

dear SPECIAL purchaser

Thank you for using our norton pc protection and being a LOYAL consumer for the past one year.

your pc support plan has expired YESTERDAY, hence your subscription plan is auto renewed for $261

Since you have chosen the auto renewal option, we have billed your saved ACCOUNT details for the annual amount of your plan upon the expiration of your contract.

If you wish to cancel our services, please contact us within 24 hours, after receiving this email CONFIRMATION

They have a phone number for Norton billing department at the bottom of the list. But so what if you call the number? Does your phone get hacked that way? Or would a salesperson pressure you into purchasing some plan or other?

Also, somehow, the spam mail got past my Gmail spam filter...

2. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna use an internet phone to call and waste their time lmao

3. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    No but I’ve gotten, “This is your last chance to get your 100$ Gift Card . After this, there is no turning back” from “Costco”. The scammers have turned their game up 110% this year

Cerene likes this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of these are phishing campaigns. Their goal like many such phishing campaigns is to trick the person to handing over personal information or account details.

For example, they can ask for your name. Then access your stuff by asking you to fill in your security questions which they will read to you and you will pretty much fork it over.

Other option is saying they will text you something and pretty much have you hand over your 1 time password or 2FA.

They can also ask for account details to confirm it is you.

They can also trick you into downloading a file saying they will give you a 1 year free extension, or give you a refund if you switch to a different version and etc.

Eishun likes this.
  5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should go to the real Norton online site to check with their support staff though. My father got stiffed with a 2k bill from an autorenewing "subscription" from a telco before.

6. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. Problem with this scenario is that I don't have Norton on my PC. So how can I be a customer when I am not using their product?

7. seife

seife Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a scam, skip it

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't matter if you are a customer or not. The goal is to have you panic for being "billed".

And just like with the nigerian prince emails, they are fine if most people realize its a scam, cause their main goal is to filter out the gullible people. Cause even a scammers time is precious, if you filter out the gullible, you can get a better return on your time.

9. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok then it's a scam.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the start of a typical scam where if you contact them, they'll have you download a remote access program. Then, they'll screw with your computer and hold it hostage. Under no circumstances should you contact them.

11. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont ask how many paypal or wow account pending , last warning, important messages etc i got without using either of it over the years

normally with just opening such a mail you made your first mistake