Gimme cool-sounding names for power ups

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Gin_Hindew, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im writting a novel and i need a wall to bounce ideas on, so im asking for suggestions

The story is a shounen battler and i have a tiered power system, but i also want to have clear power ups to shut in the middle of battle
    There are several variations on the same power system, and im looking for two name suggestions
    In one power up the characters transform into monsters, and become more exposed to potential long-term injuries in exchange for temporary power
    The other power up consists on separating a portion of one's power to create a living creature, so its a more passive one, but the creature can be called upon for power, kinda like calling upon a spirit animal
    Any ideas?
    Im looking for simple cool-sounding words, like Bankai or Ignition, something that sounds raw or primal to go with themonster vibe
    Although im mostly asking to stimulate my own ideas

2. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    MONSTER ENERGY !!!
    ... eh, wait, that's a beverage name XD

3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Zerker!

-------------------
    Connect! <-- followed by SWOOSH as him summoning something connect him to another dimension or alternate reality to summon a creature.
    you could also make it 2 words Dimension Connection!

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  4. Worldrefrain

Worldrefrain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    UBER DRIVER !!!
    uhh never mind… that’s just a job

5. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    the characters transform into monsters, and become more exposed to potential long-term injuries in exchange for temporary power
    -Bloodlust Incarnation
    separating a portion of one's power to create a living creature, so its a more passive one, but the creature can be called upon for power, kinda like calling upon a spirit animal
    Split Soul/Spirit Bind

6. Reack

Reack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Monstruosidad and Bestial

deadlyexistence23 likes this.
  7. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Monster-up and Monsfer.

I.e. monster power up and monster transfer... well, maybe a bit cringy ones tho.

8. Despapa69

Reading List:
    Link
    One worders. Hmm, those are hard. These are some words that I hope will help. Transmutation, lycanthropy, sacrifice, abyssal, frenzy, equilibrium, shade, ethereal, wraith, spirit and instinctual.

9. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always go for foreign words. Just put in a few words together that sounds good.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  10. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    already considered whatever-Connection, still pending until i get the right match

Overdrive is already the powerup for another system, its cool enough already so i didnt mention it

"-Bloodlust Incarnation" is pretty good, edgy enough to be cool, but not too much to cringe, "Incarnation" may be, there could even be several types of incarnations

i considered variations on those, but they sound quite basic
    i realized i need clear power ups when i was watching Power Ranger videos, but Morphosis-like stuff sounds too Power Rangy

11. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Dimension Door! a door opens on the floor and summoned beast or monster come out. and you can call it DD for most of the story if you don't want to write the whole thing.

Link access! <--- also sounds good.

Call!

Conjure!

Invite! <--- the main character could use a magical card that looks like an invitation to summon a contracted person/beast/monster

12. Despapa69

Reading List:
    Link
    I came up with some Blood Equilibrium, Bestial Transfiguration, Lycanthropic Ailment /Transformation, Ethereal Call, Wraith Create, Summon Spirit, Abyssal Dowry.

13. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    When I'm naming things like this, I tend to go with simple names related to what is actually happening.

The first is simple, Berserk, Rage, Overwhelm, Overheat, Overpressure, Overdrive (know it's already used, but still), and Limit Release can all give a generic impression of "going beyond one's limits", though I personally dislike Berserk & Rage if your character isn't mentally affected by anger while the effect is active, and Limit Release has been used in so many stories where the negative side effects you're intending may be passed off by readers until you make it absolutely clear that they can be debilitating. Alternatively, you can use the word "Spirit" to state that you're doing this with Spirit Energy, and something about how it's being used, like Spirit Compression, Spirit Overwhelm, Spirit Limiter Release, with each possibility being a different type of specific action that is one of the ways in which a person can overload their body with Spirit Energy to cause a temporary power boost at the cost of damaging themselves.
    - Spirit Compression is the act of taking the Spirit Energy they have around them and forcefully compressing it into their body, heightening it's density at the cost of increased physical strain, as there's a reason why that energy isn't in their body to begin with.
    - Spirit Overwhelm is the act of overburdening your Spirit Energy. It's the equivalent of pushing yourself until you pull a muscle. Sure, pulling a muscle once every 6 to 12 months may not be a big deal if you're pulling different muscles each time, but if you do it every month, you're in trouble.
    - Spirit Limiter Release relies on Spirit Energy being absorbed from an external source (and, yes, a living animal that you made purely to access energy and grow can count for this). It expands upon how fast you draw upon energy through this source, harming either, or both, yourself and the being you're drawing energy from in the process. Those limits are there for the same reason why we have pain receptors activate when we touch a hot surface.

The second depends on the specifics of how you want to use it. Sure, they split off a part of their power to create a living creature, but you didn't mention any specifics on how doing this helps them, or how they're empowered by it. As such, I will make multiple guesses:
    - 1 - Allies: Living Beasts that work alongside their creator/originator, with a mental link that makes them highly effective in battle. May have more than one, but creating new ones requires training oneself back up to their natural potential or literally crippling themselves trying to split off enough energy to form a new Living Beast. Whether or not the beast is permanently external, or can be stored inside the person's body is up to you. Names for this include Spirit Beast, Spirit Bosses, Familiar, and Summon.
    - 2 - Fusion Partners: Allies Type that, instead of fighting alongside their partner, merges with them to improve them with the beast's aspects (thick skin, protective fur, a couple of "fun" techniques, that type of thing). Again, can have more than one at a time, but now needs to have all fusion partners develop enough power to create the new beast without crippling themselves from giving up too much power. Due to lifespan producing soft "level caps" and this requirement, the maximum amount of Spirit Beasts a single person has had in their lifetime without crippling themselves is 5, but by the time they gained their 5th, they were too old to do much in any reasonable battle. The reason why all fusion partners need to provide enough energy to create a new partner is so that they can all merge together, so if a human survives when their fusion partner dies, it's possible to develop a new one. Names for this include Spirit Companions, Spirit Merging, Fusing, and Possession.
    - 3 - Medium: You create the Spirit Animal and possibly keep them as a pet (or attack animal) afterwards. Possibly, because it's possible that the only important part of this was the creation of the Spirit Animal, and after their creation they serve no practical purpose. Alternatively, they need to keep the beasts alive so that they can use them as a way to absorb spirit energy into themselves, or even actively train them to strengthen the spirit energy they receive (which is the "keep them as a pet/attack animal options). Calling on the Spirit's Power can effectively be said to transform a person's unused Aura into a more usable form determined, if not outright imitating, the beast that was formed. I used "medium" as the term to describe this due to the similarities to being willingly possessed by a Spirit Beast. Names I can suggest for this include Spirit Mediums, Beast Spirits, Spirit Armour, Spirit Weapons, and Beast Aura.
    - 4 - Ethereal Beasts - Mix of 1 and 4. You only create one Spirit Animal, and it becomes a living creature (that you may need to look after/train). However, you can manifest imitations of that creature to fight alongside. Either the stronger you become, the stronger the manifestations become, or the stronger you become the more manifestations you can create, while each manifestation becomes stronger when the created Spirit Animal becomes stronger. The Spirit Animal, if important, is usually kept home safe and sound, but may be able to observe the wider world through the manifested copies and the person who manifested them. Relatively good names I can think of include Spirit Masters, Ethereal Beastmasters, and Beastmaster.

Sorry for making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I saw so many possible ways to read and interpret it. I don't know if you're intending to do some of them, thought to do all of them already, or to change it up on a case-by-case basis. This just came flowing out. I call myself a poster of verbose posts for a reason.

14. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    You should not do this at all.