prejudice in rescuing

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Neiri, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When someone is transported and see 2 group fighting they tend to rescue the cute and beautiful ones or human. They did not think that the one they are taking side with are the bad faction or there is no good or bad faction. Did they not think that the faction that use basically child/teen soldiers are the evil ones?

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    wut cha talking about?
    as for prejudice it normal to have cuz stereotype~ if human see human fight against monster it typical to save the human~ if monster see well you get it~
    using children or teen as soldier, well on what aspect you can judge it? do you understand why such thing happen?

ya talking on the dark here

3. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd just mind my own business and leave. Plot is full of deaths without the protagonist's luck and halo.

4. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Stereotypes are built like that. Beautiful = pure/innocent/perfect. It's less likely for ugly or non-goodlooking characters to be the one in need unless they have that *curse* thing that makes them magically ugly but they always make it that somehow ugly people are also as ugly as they are inwardly. Even in books esp when the good-looking character is a villain they make it to be that the antagonist if not hideous looking, with a really foul mouth/personality. And in general even if we would like to deny it, almost everyone would choose to rescue the one with a pretty face rather than help the ugly looking one esp if they seemingly have similar situations with equally reasonable reasons to be rescued.

5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recall one anime or manga in which they made fun of this trope. The 'damsel in distress' who was being surrounded by a bunch of goblins was the one who committed genocide on them for shits and giggles.

6. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you telling me there are protagonists that think more than 5 minutes ahead? That's crazy!

7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't those type of scenes usually make it clear which side seem to be the attacker though?
    Sure the defending side could be bad, but more often then not it would be the attacker.
    Of course you could make an argument about why the uglier side is usually made the aggressor though.

powwder likes this.
  8. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    funny thing, there is a novel and manga where mc is transported into a game where the developers are trolls and made a beginner trap. The player get into the scenario where there is a highway robbery . A group of lizardmen and a woman fighting . Normally player would assist the woman then suddenly player is killed. The lizardmen are the merchants and the woman is the robber.

There is also a fat mc that transported into a battlefield with monsters and human. He approached the human first , got rebuked then rescued by the monsters. Turns out the monsters losing a war cause they do not know how. It turn out the maou are transported humans that each taught them something. the first one taught them agriculture so they don't have to raid. and so on. but no one taught them warfare. The mc is a tactician otaku.

on the side note , Spellforce 2 is basically rescuing a dragon from a woman.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Nimroth likes this.
  9. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, fiction makes too big of a thing with "beautiful people" and "ugly people". My thing is that most people in real life look good. Most people are beautiful. I've rarely ever seen people I can think that are "ugly". I'd even go so far as to say I've never seen an ugly person. Sure some people look more pleasing to the eye than others, but just about everyone looks good in my eyes. But in fiction, especially webnovels, they always have to make a clear distinction between good looking people and ugly people, which is just the case most of the time irl.

10. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like situations when MCs(mostly male leads) no matter the context always side with especially girls somehow.. or it's kind of like when authors make males out to be the villains in most situations?
    And when a girl is made out to be a villain in a situation she's usually a demoness/fox/seductress or has a very sad backstory/being lost or alone which is why she is like that. A bit irrelevant but yea lol.
    MCs always jump in those situations to save the damsel