Sushi?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wrath444, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Wrath444

Wrath444 Life is such a glorious trauma, is it not?

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you eat raw fish? And what does it taste like? Seems nasty to eat raw fish to me I don’t think I’d be able to eat it

Cerene, simak and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you are thinking of sashimi? Cause not all sushi is raw fish. There are sushi with no fish(vegetables), smoked fish, fried lobster/crab, and etc.

(someone who hates eating fish, but it's okay no fish is wasted
    [​IMG]
    )

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sushi's not all raw fish...?

And I don't eat raw fish myself, but my dad does. If the issue is sanitation problems, then some wasabi/ginger(?) will help.

4. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an irrational fear of eating sushi and getting parasites.

5. Wrath444

Reading List:
    Link
    Same

Despapa69 likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see that. Many people think the same way. So your not alone or strange.
    But personally I love “sushi”. The best way I could describe sushi. Is to imagine a fully cook bite size juicy stake. With no add sauces or condiments. Only purely meat. Now this meat melts in your mouth. Now imagine that meat is on a bed of rice as big as a spoon. The rice has its own taste, but it’s just their to balance the explosion of the meat.
    I guess that’s the best way I could explain sushi to someone, but do realize. Even with this explanation. The taste and texture of sushi is still not conveyed fully. Also realize that you go into this with a certain mindset. It’s almost self prophesy. If you already have a negative view. No matter what sushi it is. It will already be judge. Even before the first bite. Than the end is obvious.
    At least that’s what I think. Good luck

0000000, Nightow1 and Cerene like this.
  7. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a fan. Humans discovered fire for a reason.

8. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like the tastebuds of a peasant. Tuna is delicious. Should try one when you get the chance. It’s a cool buttery smooth texture with a fatty flavor. Dip some soy sauce and wasabi, it contrast nicely with the fat. Make sure to get the expensive ones, not some gas station sushi.

Snowbun and Nightow1 like this.
  9. aienmoon

aienmoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's probably an acquired taste. before, if i just even think i'll eat raw fish, i gag. also when i first tried it. after the second time, it became one of my favorite food. i only like the fresh ones though, if it has been sitting for a while or had been frozen or something it has a stronger fishy taste that makes me gag.

10. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't realise we had so many gourmets of sushi and fish on this forum.

11. lilly2805

lilly2805 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for one some fish it really wouldn't taste good to eat raw, you have to get the stuff that is seasoned to taste good raw or stuff paired with things that work with the raw fish.

My personal favorite is smoked salmon that I tend to eat when I buy a maki boat in the store, they work perfect together and it tastes good enough that you can even eat it without the maki.
    Smoked salmon

Nightow1 likes this.
  12. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried eating sashimi twice~ But unfortunately I couldn't eat it, and had to down it with water. :bloborz:

13. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It tastes like soy sauce. And that is quite insulting to call it nasty just because you personally don't like it.

To burn down houses? :D

14. Wrath444

Reading List:
    Link

15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are eating parasites, you obviously did something wrong, so don't blame a whole culture for something you screwed up.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  16. Wrath444

Reading List:
    Link
    Not saying anything about culture you weirdo

17. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    So you're telling me that sushi and sashimi are not foods related to a specific culture? Ask anyone other than yourself, when people hear sushi, what do they associate it with? Millions of Japanese eat it every day, so you're saying that they are all eating parasites?

Next time, think before posting.

18. Bobwillrule

Bobwillrule Supreme Ruler of Bobylon

Reading List:
    Link
    Salmon sashimi tastes like avocado with soy sauce, so it's not that bad, idk maybe my taste buds r weird. Basically covering most sashimi with soy sauce will just make it taste like soy sauce albeit a little salty. Getting parasites wouldn't be a problem as long as you go to a reasonable chain or restaurant. Eating out always has risks too.
    Just to point out the inside of a steak is kind of raw too.

19. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    "Why would you eat it?"
    For the same reason why some people eat bugs, random weird-shaped fruits, roots they dug from the ground.

"What does it taste like?"
    It clearly depends on the fish/seafood. Each one has a different texture, fat content. It evens depends on the specific part of the fish or the way it was processed (different cuts, marinated, slighted charred, etc. And yes, still "raw").

"Seems nasty to eat it"
    Clearly, it's not a part of your food culture so you seem to have some misconceptions about it. Raw fish is supposed to be eaten super fresh. Nobody is forcing you to try it either so you can probably just keep it to yourself. But alas, raw fish has some health benefits as heating usually breaks down some nutrients and vitamins. Mind you, wasabi and some of the "decorations" (like chrysanthemum petals) you see in sashimi platters are actually said to have antibacterial properties so it's not like peeps have been eating random stuff for centuries without knowing better.

Nightow1 likes this.
  20. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I found that while tuna IMO isn't as tasty as salmon, it helps to "reset" your taste buds, so that your tongue does not get too used to the salmon taste and so maintains the nice taste of salmon throughout your meal. I suspect those that like the taste of tuna better, it also works the same but in reverse, so it might be worth a test to see alternating the food works next time you try sashimi.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021