Question Anyone else feel like the novel's these days are getting kinda boring?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sami11, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read web novels everyday. I know it's not good practice, but I usually pick a novel from the top 50 in the rankings and read it. Now I see the top 50 and nothing interests me. Tried reading the number 1 novel for 100 chapters, but I found it too childish and weird. Tried reading the top 10, and it's just not rousing my attention. I gave up reading since.

Last novel I was kinda excited for were Lord of Mysteries and, to a lesser extent, SCoG, and I haven't completed any novels since.

Maybe it's a mental thing. Anyone else feel this way? Am I getting too old or are the novels getting stale? Anyone got a recommendation for a stellar novel?

2. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Same tbh. I can't seem to find any good novel nowadays. It seems that as more *hitty novels I read the stricter my tastes becomes. I read novels with 1000 chapters only to drop it midway or having it ended up with *hitty endings and I don't want that to happen again. I've even resorted to going to raw sites already. Unfortunately most of them are ongoing and updates really slow.

Mr Inanda and animefan217 like this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're just realizing that most of the novels you've read are trash or too cliche and generic. The only thing I enjoy even more than reading novels is looking for absolute trash novels and reading the reviews of people filled with rage, sorrow and regret that they read such garbage.

purit2006, Gadget, lafiel11 and 20 others like this.
  4. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to pay more attention to what you read, picking from the top 50 or top 100 doesn't necessarily mean you will like it, try these ones:
    The Steward Demonic Emperor
    The Heavenly Demon Can't Live a Normal Life (Didn't find it on NU)

xnvesha.14 and Sami11 like this.
  5. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Most things that are highly rated are filled with clichés. You'd have better luck finding good stuff by digging through different forums and trying to find decent lists.

Also, why is you avatar Donald Duck giving a seductive look to the viewer.

Mr v, Mr Inanda, purit2006 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ordinary people

Ordinary people Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i just read old novel, from LoTM,RI,ED,ToMA etc and fanfics

7. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it is really hard to find a good novel nowadays, after reading all those trash novels that you think were good in the past.

animefan217 likes this.
  8. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really should read “less” popular novels or use the random novel function and search through older NUF recommendations since the top isn’t really that diverse.

9. ughughugh

ughughugh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You just have to deep search for them and some pretty solid stuff can be found. Like if you're into CN novels then Infinite Bloodcore is great.

10. NO-USERNAME

NO-USERNAME Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try to find novels in Royal Road

11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called slowly reaching maturity. But, there are many good novels, try understanding your own taste and read according to it

c0debreaker6 and Baldingere like this.
  12. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happend to me years ago, all the novels just blend into one, I stop by this website every now and then but never read anything..

maybe try some fanfiction or something.

13. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe for me many just fit my taste or try out things i like

14. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here . As I read more good novels I feel the ones that I have read a year ago were trash and had so many problems.. but now even the good ones are finished . So I just reread them

15. Suoh95

Suoh95 King

Reading List:
    Link
    Because majority of readers are dumb af and only read shitty novels filled with harem or terribly forced romance to satisfy their virgin needs.
    Authors see this trend and then more of them copy+paste the formula and insert the same shxt in their novels.
    And most translator's only want money so they'll try to translate the more popular series which, as we've now established, tend to be the shxtty copy+paste novels in the top 50+.

They fk up the algorithm and so most popular/mainstream novels end up being the trash they picked up. Usually you find some rare gems in the mainstream stuff but for the most part, they tend to be trash.
    You'll do better looking in the Korean Isle tbh. They tend to have better stories and tend to avoid the mainstream route, which allows them room for more freedom and creativity to write unique gems.

Honestly the cliche stuff ain't even bad, but almost all the time it's executed terribly and feels like the author just wrote that just because it's what he/she read from another novel, lazy af.
    There really aren't many original or unique storysy out there tbh, most of them are the same reused theme, BUT, sometimes, even if a theme is reused, the author can make it extremely great or extremely shxtty depending on his story telling ability.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Mr Inanda, Gadget, Calahan and 3 others like this.
  16. shired

shired Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After I ran out good novels to read here, I am just looking for original works at webnovel but even then most of the rankings there aren't reliable anymore. The ones I read there are those that don't irk me but even then, most are only good for binge reading since they are a little interesting.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  17. xnvesha.14

xnvesha.14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than reading the top novels, you should try reading novels of different genre. Maybe try something you never thought of reading before. I keep switching between genres after every few novels and that helps me maintain interest.
    You can also search for novels with particular tags or genres that you enjoy so that you can find hidden gems and other novels that aren't really popular nowadays but suit your tastes.
    Maybe you ARE getting old (xD) as the preference of the major audience changes every few years.

DewDropsOnMellons and shired like this.
  18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's your problem. You're using a bad technique for finding good books so you ended up having a hard time finding good books. Go and look for better books and you should be able to find them - understanding that the ratings on NU are meaningless should be a good first step.

Personally I've been unable to find the time to read all the books I want to. I've even managed to find a Japanese webnovel to be engrossed in and that never happens!

shired likes this.
  19. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think besides the mostly crappy and inaccurate rankings on NU being the reason, your standards also get higher the more you read. There's a high chance you've read the plot formula of the novel in another novel before, so it could feel boring. I did have this situation before, (I'm not even sure if it's a mental thing so I don't exactly have the answer to your question), but couldn't finish reading any novels past 10 chapters so I took a short break. Maybe a month or two, and I started reading novels from recommendations rather than from ratings and reviews.

20. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the same problem a year ago. I went to Roiyalroad for a change of pace. RR's top trending stories are at a higher English quality than you see here at NU, so it was quite refreshing.

Mr Inanda likes this.