Why do people complain so much about harems in Chinese novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Han_Shuo, Jul 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well ... the YM, tournaments are used to be enemies of the mc and make him fight and create problems .... but the story of the explicit romanticism is not so necessary for the novel.
    See ... the YM and the other enemies in the Chinese novels are the same as the "Demon King" in a manga where the protagonist is "the Hero".

2. Shiio

Shiio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem kinda ruins the story for me. I think the harem genre is okay but sometimes the way it's written annoys me. Like, I want to know more about what's gonna happen and not like the girls getting jealous over one another constantly. At least that's for those I've read before although those were quite some time ago,,

3. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, first of all in the Chinese novels the MCs that behave in a good way are very few: at least ninety percent of what I have read have the protagonist anti-hero.
    However remember that once the MC kills a person they will never be righteous (in my opinion).

Well, men who cheat on their woman are all evil, so I don't see what difference it makes.

4. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    What no? Which part of my statement did you disagree with?
    Why say 'first of all' when there's no second one
    Hypocrisy is about the difference between what they say (or think, since in stories we can get inside their head) and what they do; if they say killing people is bad and yet they're killing left and right, they're hypocrite, whether or not you think killing is okay doesn't matter.

5. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most harems are underdeveloped, forced, unnecessary, boring, filler and bring a shit ton of annoying characters into the story (AYM and peerless beauty that has less layers than the toilet paper from school and is as bland as everyday air)

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need a harem to ruin the romance, harem is by nature terrible done romance with multiple people. Or you like terrible done romance?

Overall, I think you simply don't want to read things that are romance genre. But that is completely unrelated to harems.

PS Hypocrisy is a terrible trait, again, nothing worse than a hypocrite.

7. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I got my words wrong:
    you immediately mentioned the straight evil mc comparing it to the "MC that doesn't consider itself a
    good person". (At least that's what I understood by answering your answer) And I gave you this answer.
    Oh well let's change the subject:
    I think in harem stories most of the MCs are more unfaithful than hypocritical. And I used the example that usually (in most novels) the "MC claims not to be a good person" to state that they are not completely hypocritical characters.

PS Sorry if my answers are incomprehensible, I'm using Google Translate to translate my answers

8. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing for me is not the harem angle, but the relationship angle. Often times in xianxia they pick women up like candy. Which is fine. Even thou no real woman would do that. The problem I have is how they treat their women. These women are discarded like used tissue. Like all xianxia it’s main focus is getting stronger. Which is the main plot. Which is fine, but the MC becomes a trashy partner while doing so. He goes after these women, but when he levels up. He discards them. MC treats them as their greatest love than when he has to decide either getting stronger or the girl. He of course chose the power. Personally I hate the fact that he draws innocent women that love him and than throw them away. The sad thing too. Is that they never even stay together for very long before he move on. What’s even sadder is that a lot of these women stay in love with the MC and wait for him. That’s just piss me off. No loyalty. No respect. No common decency. Than when you bring in multiple women. You get the same broken women, but now there are many of them. Yeah I’ll pass

9. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems, when done reasonably well, can actually liven up a cultivation story. harems done poorly dont and are what draw the ire of readers.
    I think, though, that if you're going to aim for a good harem then you need to lean into the premise and not just tack it on. Dual cultivation does exists (though a lot of harem cultivation stories surprisingly paint all dual cultivators as evil AF so it feels wishy-washy)

Rumby and Westeller like this.
  10. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypocrisy is a human trait, and the MC is more of an infidel than a hypocrite.

11. weirdreader

weirdreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends to be honest, sometimes harem becomes the main plot of an action plot genre which becomes annoying because what happens is that the MC becomes a complete dense idiot, where each of the harem members become a plot starter and end of becoming a baggage.

However there are also novels where the harem is done really well, where each of the harem members actually make the MC stronger or simply have more character development.

Maybe all I'm saying is that sometimes harem in novels are unneeded because sometimes it has nothing to do with the plot making it seem that it was forced.

12. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, depends on your definition of unfaithful, I guess.
    I'm quite conservative, so for me even two people having sexual relationship outside of marriage is already being unfaithful

I don't think that's the word you're looking for

13. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right about this, it pisses me off too when he abandons her to ascend to a higher plane

Yes, but some people have also complained about the Martial World harem, which in my opinion is very well done: its women get stronger, and they are also useful for the plot.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat dislike play catching pokemon, those story remind this cat with pokemon catch so this cat dislike it~ its not romance, its not about face, it all about pokemon
    this cat neutral toward harem just dislike pokemon theme, it like read forgettable stuff~ you read it then forget it seconds later~

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are definitely not Chinese and certainly not Asian.

Saying these novels should not have harem or romance is like saying Japanese stories should have no loli.

Are you mad? You can't be that cruel.

This is wishfulfment crap and we read it to count our meimeis.
    [​IMG]

Just accept that you are not the target audience.
    I am not. I don't read them

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  16. kalmujho

kalmujho New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, you are right.

17. SkySolluna

SkySolluna Moon Warrior

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz theres many just "one chapter" harem member that will be just forgotten.

18. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    They usually suck ass. It's mainly a method to increase word count and give reasons for the MC to go court death by storming some clan to obtain a fortuitous encounter to become more op along with being fanservice to some 'readers'. A Xianxia or Xuanhuan is usually about a story about a quest for immortality, power or something else like that so why can't they just focus on that instead of tens of chapters of jade beauty conquering. Sure, authors try to justify making a harem because 'That girl has a (Insert a super op physique blah here) and by dual cultivating with her the MC can cultivate 100 times as fast' or something to which I say bullshit. It's nonsense and I'd prefer the MC just slaughter them all to concoct pills instead of just being female side-characters who gain power at an unnatural pace so that they don't get left behind in the power creep and remain relevant to the plot even though them cultivating that fast doesn't seem believable in the first place due to the established power system in the story.

19. errantknight

errantknight Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm gonna assume that we're only talking about stories where the MC, regardless of gender, collects a group of people who all want to be with them or serve them devotedly, and not novels that take place in a harem. I can read the ones that deconstruct the genre,or where the devotion of most characters is non-romantic, but the others.... nope, but I'm not a teenage boy or girl who wants to experience an unrealistic ego boost that they don't experience with their rl crushes. Nor do I like love triangles, let alone love octagons. Neither of those things explains why I don't like the vast majority of MCs in harem novels tho. That's a separate issue.

I generally don't like them because most of the novels don't give me a reason to like them. Interpersonal relationships tend to be lazily written in the extreme. The MCs get massive credit for basic human decency, or simply for for being in the right place at the right time. The worship is completely unearned and sometimes at the expense of other characters who do deserve some credit. They also tend to be utterly selfish, self absorbed, dense, and with no awareness of other people's feelings or the group dynamic they're creating--and that's in a best case scenario where they aren't purposely entertaining themselves with others or manipulating them for their own reasons, sexual or political. There are exceptions of course, and those are the books of the genre that work. TL;DR--bad writers write bad harem novels and harem novels require a particularly adept writer to work, so most are bad.

20. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end it's all just wish fulfilment most of the times done badly. But people still enjoy it even if it's done badly because it's mainly what they like or are indifferent towards it.

Personally I dislike it all the time because I want to read a story and harems detract authors from the plot, unless if it's a good romance between two which I wouldn't mind if it's a good written monogamy relationship.

Also I'm gay, so harems/ecchi or any of those have zero interest for me at all and are just annoying. So that's most Chinese novels I'm not reading. Anyways people will like what they like.