Resolved Kindle not archiving books "remove[ed] from device"

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by inactive_rose, Jul 18, 2021.

1. inactive_rose

inactive_rose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • I download the ePubs on my laptop.
    • I convert the file to .MOBI ( because my kindle supports that and not the ePub format.)
    • I send the file to my 4th gen (?) kindle which is connected to my laptop through a USB cable. ( Dragging and dropping whatnot.)
    • Then, when I remove the downloaded file from the device, it should go to "archived items" but instead, it literally is removed from the whole device.
    • I don't have that problem when I buy from the kindle store on my kindle. I remove the book if I'm done reading or if I run out of space and it goes to "archived items".
    I'm guessing it's because I didn't buy it from the kindle store, but I'm looking for clarification.

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    azw3 is better. doesn't amazon have a service where you email the file to your kindle?

suggestion: don't use a kindle

3. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, if you haven't bought them from Kindle Store, they won't be archived.

Whatever ebook you bought from your Amazon account will be available to you from any device as long as you are connected to the internet. In this case, archiving basically means deleting ebook from the device i.e., Kindle. But it still remains in your Amazon account and can be retrieved anytime.

But if the ebook that hasn't been bought from Amazon, is removed, it will be permanently deleted. And can't be retrieved.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    inactive_rose likes this.
  4. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I can't even get kindle to accept my files when I try to send files to my kindle with the direct kindle email.

I think it's their way of preventing piracy so converting files etc. makes them think it's pirated? Idk, I'm not very technology knowledgeable.

5. heartstampexpress

heartstampexpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, when I was using my Kindle Fire a while back I kept running into the same issue! Part of the reason I switched to a Kobo Clara, as I unfortunately couldn’t find a fix. :(

6. inactive_rose

Reading List:
    Link
    I just had one at hand, it's super old but I like using it. The battery lasts days, it's light, portable, small, etc.. I'm guessing azw3 is a file format? I just googled what file format my kindle supports and chose the first one I saw...

Thank you! I thought as much but still wanted to clarify. I guess I just won't archive them:blobsweat: I'll just have to remove them and transfer it back if I want to read them again... Honestly, I'm just lazy.

Have you tried directly sending it from your computer through USB cable or using a supported file format? It worked for me pretty easy and I'm probably less knowledgeable than you. Google has pretty much all the answers:cookie:

:hmm:Is that any better? Although, personally, I would just accept the issue and read from my iPad instead. I basically only like using my kindle because it doesn't require an Internet connection.

7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    IPad requires wifi? I would just use calibri and a wired connection to move stuff to the iPad if that is the issue

8. inactive_rose

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it use a lot of storage, though? I have limited storage due to a lot of things, which is why I tried to find an alternative.
    So instead of downloading onto iPad, I could download onto kindle. But then I found that I also have limited storage on kindle and when I remove it, it doesn't go into archives.
    Thanks for mentioning calibri, I just looked it up and it looks like something I could use!

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh...calibri would be on your pc. it's not a big program by any means.

inactive_rose likes this.