What if suddenly all people could read each other's minds?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Neiri, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will it cause peace and prosperity or will it cause conflict?

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Conflict due to how much I think things that shouldn't be said. It would be the same as if everyone automatically said what they were thinking.

3. Wrath444

Wrath444 Life is such a glorious trauma, is it not?

Reading List:
    Link
    Jail for life half the people in the world or murdering people cause of what they found out

xnvesha.14 and FIEND like this.
  4. gtreed

gtreed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see that turning out well. I imagine it would cause a lot of fighting.
    Or people would live on high alert constantly and have too keep all of their thoughts in check. If people could read my mind I would probably imagine the same song in my head over and over again to...idk...drown out the thoughts or something

5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    It'd be an interesting world

6. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    They will call it disease more dangerous than Corona-chan. Especially the public figure that often think something dirty, they will panic a lot and make the situation worse

7. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    D'ya knew Game Subnautica - below zero ? the aliens who help the MC will tell you the logic of [what if all people able to read each other minds]...

8. gtreed

gtreed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I would be able to get married in this type of world. All potential candidates would runnnnn

FIEND likes this.
  9. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read ' Kino no Tabi ', volume 1? this happens in a place kino goes to, resulting in:
    conflict, and no one wants to be near anyone else
    Personally, I think it depends on the depth of mind reading: will the exact emotions associated with every thought be read? because if it does, it can result in everyone empathizing with the person they read the mind of, leading to a more peaceful world. However, if the emotions associated with thoughts aren't read, I think it would lead to greater conflicts
    actually, I'd say the opposite: it will more boring than our current world, because people would gradually adapt their thoughts to conform to others' thoughts to avoid conflict, so it would result in situation where people have more of a hive mind.

overall, though, I think it our society would be better off with it because collective minds can make brainstorming, understanding and overall scientific progress advance more quickly.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    FIEND and Ardna like this.
  10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well....this comic strip probably represent closest thing to what I thought on the subject (specifically the 2nd & 3rd panel)

11. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think science will be stagnant and slow moving cause people will not challenge the norm. Science community can be dogmatic . Like you said, if they avoid conflict they will not challenge the established theory . You know a lot of theories that is confirm to be true today was ridiculed ages past. They did not just accept Darwin theory of evolution, there are a lot of push back fro the scientific community and this is not the first instance and would not be the last.

12. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laughs in polyglot.

Realistically, people would learn to adapt. Humans can think in images, sensations, sounds, feelings, memories, and language. You might need to train a bit, but it's indeed possible.

13. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of Knife of Never Letting Go. I haven't read it but i think the premise is the same.

14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  15. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you're really underestimating the complexity of people's thoughts, and how science progresses: because scientific progress is a multistep process :
    'person 1', who gets an idea but is stuck on step 1 , would just get his mind read by multiple people so 'person 2' will probably be able to think of the next step, and if 'person 2' is stuck on step 2, then among the multiple people who reads person 2's mind, 'person 3' would be able to think of the next step...and so on.
    Also, even though people will try adapt to others' thoughts, people simply cannot think the exact same way , especially since people have clear physical differences like height, gender, etc, so stray thoughts /ideas will always emerge.

So, it's literally impossible for science to slow down unless everyone is actively avoiding communicating with each other

16. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with that is it it is not only one person who think of a different solution for step 2 multiple people will and they will be stubborn and will want their solution to be done . There are multiple 'person 1'.

The quote" too many cook spoil the broth is true" .There are not enough resources to implement them all in a trial by error. You are underestimating human stubbornness and resistance to change. They are also dismiss things contrary to their beliefs even if there are strong evidence. Just look at the news and see how all sides stick to their ideologies even if there are evidence to the contrary. All sides are guilty of this.

You said it will only slow down if they avoid communicating? This is exactly will happen.They will ignore the ideas of people who does not conform to their ideologies and beliefs.People will police their thoughts as not commit thought crimes. When they able to see the thoughts of people they will not let them join in the first place. They will only admit those who share their beliefs. Gatekeeping is real and mind reading will make it easier.

One reason why some software project fail, late and or overbudget, many stakeholders want their idea in the next step in the development. I witnessed this first hand. The stakeholders will want to implement their ideas even if it is not a good idea.

And worst part if you able to read their mind most of the time they have the best intention.

17. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I always test this by screaming in my head whenever I think something inappropriate :aww:

18. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Conflict

...Like yeah we could understand each other better but I think it would not be fun getting to know all the nasty and mean things in other people's heads >.>;;

19. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a western novel, in which the is advanced enough to colonise different planets. In one of the habitable planets, there are alien beings who communicate via telepathy. However this is uncontrollable, so whatever you think is broadcasted to the outside world. The human was ok at first, eventually, they got assimilated to the planet, mindscape so even their thoughts were broadcasted. There was panic as past crimes and actions came to the surface. People started killing each other until a temporary drug was used to suppress their thought. Then they used that drug in the native alien species and started a genocide.

20. Czaech_Returns

Czaech_Returns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the discipline of the person.If it's a real power it takes a major responsibility and at the same time burden.