Question What do you think is a bad way to end a story?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 445566, Jul 19, 2021.

1. 445566

445566 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started readind a story around a year ago, dropped and saw it got finished, so I was curious about the ending, and saw something that made me start to fell bad,
    one of the two main characters had to sacrifice her own life to save the world or something, by doind that, she would b erased and not have a new life, the other main makes a deal, then she can reincarnate, but they can't meet again, if not both erased, time passes, effects of deal no longer valid, they meet again, or rather, he meets her reincarnation (same appearance and everything), that by the looks of it, has no memories, then END.

That got me thinking, she lived a entire new life, no memories of the past, basically, a completely diferent person. If she gets her memories back there is no guarantee that she'll be the same as in the past.

Now to the other lead, he'll have to, if they get together, live with someone with the same face, same soul, but diferent on the inside, not the one he wished to be with.

If he moves on that's ok, they can be happy and all, but if not, she'll always have him comparing her to someone she isn't and he'll be always be expecting her to be "his one", leading them to, basically, self-torture. Another thing would be their development, which ended up in the trash can.

All that made start thinking about ending and it's consequences making them "shitty", then I thought
    what other people would think it's a "Shitty Ending", right of the bat I can think of a few:

-One lead reincarnates memory-less, while the other doesn't and they reunite.
    -One lead dies, the other gets hung-up their entire life on it, not moving-on.
    -Everyone gets a happy ending (yes, EVERYONE, even those that doesn't even make any sense).
    -The main antagonist, in the end, after having fucked everyone lives, is not so bad, even had noble goals, but not even for a moment showed in the past (KH if anyone is curious).
    -After and entire romance, drama, development that the main couple have, in the end, because a side-character wanted to kill itself, they separate and side-char wins in the end.

Now, back to the original question, what do you think is bad way to end a story?

TL;DR: Saw a shitty ending, tought of others, want to know what other people think.
    And yes, my english is bad, and I don't care.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    sound like the execution kinda bad, da idea is not bad tho~ but depend on how the story flow before ending, meet reincarnation with same look with no memory can be good~ its not first time this cat see it on fiction~ the idea is meet once more then.... the end~ leave to imagination~

for this cat~ rush end, you can feel it from fast pace like explosion on last or near last chapter~

no ending cuz the story abandoned.... lul

ending twist, the ending betray this cat expectation on bad way

3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    YuGiOh is one of those animes that despite focusing on trading card games and duels (and somehow turning the whole thing into somesort of big deal that can threaten the existence of worlds if not universes) but still manage to create a good or cute love story in the process, despite none of them leading anywhere in the end, just MC loving or being loved (sharing some romanctic moments) and then nothing, it kind of became the signature in every season XD (I am not a fan of romance focused shows but I don't mind it if romance isn't the main focus)
    But then comes Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, the main character had this childhood friend girl that he loves, and he went to great lengths to rescue her (multiverse travel and world's destruction and lots of other things), the anime version honestly wasn't bad, I wouldn't call it a perfect or awesome ending but it was good enough where everyone lives ever happily in the end, the manga wasn't yet complete back then or at least that is what I remember so I didn't care much and thought even if the anime makes a different progress than the manga it shouldn't be very different or anything drastic so I didn't pay much attention to the manga and watched the next season of the anime but then recently by pure chance I found out about the manga ending, Arc-V was really different than the anime but here is the most messed up thing:
    In the end they were separated, each going to a different timeline, with the childhood friend going back to the past, dreaming of meeting the MC again by pure luck she comes accross his father (a younger version of him) and it seems she falls in love with him and later becoming the MC's mother or so it seems, Arc-V manga simply takes the cake for the most messed up love ending in my opinion compared to the rest of the YuGiOh series, here is a video I found which summarizes the stuff I said

Yes, the manga ending was bad

4. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate; it was all a dream endings, memory loss endings, and endings where they move on with there new family/life disregarding there original one that they just went to great lengths to save.

Spoof likes this.
  5. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    endings that have completely pissed me off:
    amnesia - what's the point of the entire story if you take away all of the MC's experiences and character growth and reset them back to before the story began?
    it was a dream/ novel - lazy writing. the Wizard of Oz did it back forever ago and now when a write can't figure out how to end their story they pick this to troll the reader. such bullsh*t.
    everyone loses their power/abilities and goes back to being a "normal" human - again, what's the point of all the struggle to become stronger if you just lose everything you worked for at the end, resetting back? often paired alongside amnesia but not always.
    hypocritical ending - for example, a gamer is reborn and starts playing the game again, spends the entire game railing against guilds, talking about how much he absolutely hates them and would never join the darkside....only to join one at the end. usually with some BS comment about how he only meant he hated the guilds in that particular game, he was fine with joining them for the next.
    MC dies/ everyone dies - the entire reason I stopped reading GoT long before it became a live action adaptation. I'm not a fan of novels that abuse the reader.

6. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, a bad ending is just a "twist" ending. Endings are supposed to be related to the beginnings, so if someone wakes up and it was all a dream, or it seems like the author's just trying to surprise the reader with something completely unpredictable based on the story so far, that's all it takes for an ending to be bad.

7. miscellani

miscellani Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a book called Shining road, and it was one of the many typical game fantasy novel in Korea. It's about a guy who almost died by a gut selling gangs, go back to the past, play vr game and success with his future knowledge/memory.
    The thing was that at the end of the book when this guy, a main character, was attending his sister's wedding, had a happiest moment of his time, and then fade out.
    Someone says "Bro, this dude is smiling."
    The main character was just dreaming all along, and gangs were ripping his guts out to sell.
    You can say at least that such ending did make people to remember.

8. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate novels in which endings are made when there is so much space for growth and the authors just keeps on halfheartedly completing the story in just few chapters. I mean we read the mc growing up and working so hard to become powerful, the mc hasnt even accomplish anything significant until now and the author just ends it in a few chapters. I get it if this happens to novels which are not well written but some novels are so good but the author has just set his/her mind on starting a new novel, it happens so often they just drop it in the middle and end it in few chapters just to start a new novel i mean they can work hand in hand why leave something if the structure is made the story line is good the response is good why do they leave it like that...