Spoiler Under the oak tree

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lovina, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Y0jik0

Y0jik0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More on the chapter84
    This is on Riftan's POV
    As he carefully examine the strategy in his head, he looked around the marching Weadon's men, preoccupied with what to do with Richt Bleston in his head. Then through the tanned faces, the white face of his wife caught his eyes.
    Riftan reflexively slowed Talon's speed. He starred as she came down from her horse and walked at the pace of the spearmen.
    It looks like she came down from the saddle to give the horse a little rest. Riftan who was starring at the figure soon made a stern expression. Max went behind Ruth whose been slouching, and began to push his back with her hands as he staggered.

Riftan who's been starring at the pathetic sight hardened his lips. He knew she's comfortable with Ruth, he also knew there is no malice between the two. Still, every time he see her being friendly with him, he felt something is squeezing his stomach.
    Riftan tried to remember when was the last time she's been comfortable like that with him. It been too long ago. Now it has been reduced to lesser relationship than others. He is of course well aware that it is purely his fault. He starred at them for a while then turned his head.

2. Sidetrack

Sidetrack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @ppoyoung. - YES! We all want to kill the Duke!! The villain we all love to hate!:mad:

Mxt likes this.
  3. Y0jik0

Y0jik0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is part of why i posted this. I know a lot of members here sides with Riftan. But we also have to see why Maxi is doin what she does. She's always been stubborn and strong willed even as a small child, that's why riftan has to save her when they were kids.

Shes not deliberately being insensitive to Riftan. Its just how she is.
    During the war in Book2 she longs so much to be the person beside her husband during battle and not Agnes because shes a "Knights wife". She wants to be strong because she's seen him being vulnerable.

As much as Riftan is unreasonable in trying to keep her safe, she's also being unreasonable in trying to be by his side at all times even in the face of danger.

We say there's a reason why Riftan wouldn't touch her. His wounds are deep and it won't just heal because Maxi is back.
    Same goes with Max, shes been abused and hurt. Further more, shes seen her savior/hero hit rock botttom because of her. She turned her life around to be a better partner and she's getting rejected over and over.
    They both need some healing is what im saying.

4. Sidetrack

Reading List:
    Link
    @Y0jik0 - - Also when they were at the inn after rescuing her from the Duke-
    Riftan told her. "I don't think my heart is mine. From the moment I met you, my heart was not my own'

She is everything to him - everything

Another question - someone said Maxi knew about his mother's suicide?? When did he tell her? I missed this completely!!!

HoneyTeaWithRabbits, Mxt and Y0jik0 like this.
  5. moshimoichi

moshimoichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree! they're both wrong and right on different aspects. maxi is not perfect, she's no angel that would sacrifice everything and know everything for the people around her. she's human, like us, and sometimes humans tend to be selfish even though it's not on purpose. she just needs to realize how much riftan is in pain. also i don't think she expects a welcome party, she just wants riftan to tell her his feelings. i don't blame riftan for being closed off because yeah the guy is hurt, but it's not something he should keep doing for the rest of his life. they're both frustrating and they both made mistakes.

also i've been thinking this for a while but i feel like she doesn't realize how loco riftan is for her because of her low self esteem? maybe she thinks "there's no way he's that hurt. i'm just a normal girl nobody would love me that much" but riftan goes crazy over her. they need some extensive therapy smh

6. GED

GED Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't side with her when she lost their unborn child due to her recklessness. So sad for Riftan when he saw Rosetta's child but his was lost.

moshimoichi likes this.
  7. Y0jik0

Y0jik0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He told her on last few chapters of book 1. He said his mother waited blindly for a man who had fun with her. That she killed herself when she learned he was killed in battle.
    Riftan told Max he will never be like his mother. That if she leaves, he will not wait for her

But.... Of course we all know what happened next. The moment he heard Maxi was out of the tower, he finish his expedition like a madman and rushed towards where Maxi is :D then acted cool like he didn't care about her :blobamused:

I always have this impression that Riftan never the type that rushes, hes always cool and collected. But he always lose his composure when it comes to his wife.
    Sample : when he runs to her when he saw Aren kissing her hand. :blob_grin:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. tickytocky

tickytocky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that was almost at the end of book 1. When maxi asked riftan to let her go to Nornui. She went to find riftan in his office, she found him asleep. She was about to leave the office, then Riftan told her about his mother.

This is just sad, isn't it..
    I feel like.. There is a bond between Riftan and Agnes that Maxi will never understand. And there is a bond between Maxi and Ruth that Riftan will never understand.

9. sheerankamar

sheerankamar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I don't think there's even a bond between Agnes and Riftan. It's more of an obligation. However, Maxi and Ruth are much more closer and they have a friendship. The way Maxi was worried about Ruth and Hebaron when they were stuck at Ethylene, clearly depicts that it's not an obligation, rather trying to save her friend. I don't think Riftan feels that way even the slightest with Agnes.

Mxt, Arifiana, maribe and 4 others like this.
  10. jjcheng

jjcheng Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Maxi was being a little pushy in the beginning of Book 2 because she was anxious!
    • Maxi hasn’t heard anything from Riftan/Anatol for 3 years, all she can do was to write a letter every 6 months.
    • When she finally got a chance to go back home earlier (with the price of going on a dangerous expedition), she found the only place she could call home has drastically changed...
    • Also Max wasn’t sure if Riftan still loves her after all the turmoils they have gone through
    • When Max and Riftan finally met, she was trying to be nice to him (e.g. gave him good food, comb his hair, talk about their past memory, etc.), but all she got was a cold shoulder from Riftan..

11. sheerankamar

sheerankamar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Maxi isn't standing up to Ruth because she's also a Wizard from the World Tower and it's against the law to leave Nornui especially for an advanced wizard. It's not that she doesn't want to protect Ruth but she also understands the laws of Wizard Tower. It's complicated. It's like Ruth carried a lot of information and research that allowed him to use taboo magic and then left Nornui with the information. He's not a bad person, but if you break the law, you're a criminal. The Wizards from World Tower see him as a criminal for leaving such a place with probably confidential research or information. There's a reason why they prohibited wizards from leaving the World Tower, so taboo magic can't be used freely to prevent misuse.
    • Ruth stays with Riftan because he owes his life to Riftan, serving him as his Wizard. Knowing Riftan, he doesn't care about his situation with being ostracized and ridiculed by other wizards because I'm sure Riftan feels the same way since he is born as a mix blood and bastard, so he's had his fair share of ridicule and normally he doesn't even show a slight interest.
    • Because of Ruth's presence in Anatol, most wizards if not all avoid confronting or even seeing the "criminal" with their eyes. Therefore, they lack wizards despite being the best knights in all of Whedon and the Seven Kingdoms. Plus, Ruth nags a lot so they probably get annoyed hearing him talk. Although, they all treat him as a member of RDK.
    • If it weren't for Maxi, Ruth, Hebaron, everyone stuck at Ethylene would have died. You hate Maxi so much but what she did with the cost of her miscarriage saved everyone's lives. It's a blunt way to put it and I can't imagine the trauma she experienced first hand from being abused for almost 16 years of her life, not knowing a single shred of what love is and having to go through criticisms each that when she first arrived Anatol till the end where she was about lose everything. She wants to be with Riftan because she mentioned herself that she's never felt alive than she does with him. I don't know about you but if the RDK are afraid of Riftan when he's being his terrifying self, I'm pretty sure Maxi feels the same way too. She's trying to mend their marriage but with the circumstance is just against all odds. He's angry that she took the mission to go to Pamela Plateau but she took the mission to go to Anatol and see her husband as soon as possible. Riftan fails to understand that Maxi worries about him so much and Maxi fails to understand that Riftan worries about her so much too. The star crossed lovers have faced so much damage in their lives that they desperately rely on each other. Maxi couldn't have grown to be who she is now if she didn't leave to Nornui, yes it hurt the hell out of Riftan, but he needed space too to actually confront his demons because he was suffocating her to the point he wanted to lock her up in the room. Even the RDK thought she was held hostage. All the things that happened good or bad in the book between them is a process of growth for both because both of them have never received unconditional love until they've met each other.

12. covertcookie

covertcookie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly agree, and your comments are well-thought-out Maxi gets on my nerves too, but if not for her stubbornness, she wouldn't grow this much.

Mxt, sheerankamar and jujurlah like this.
  13. Sidetrack

Reading List:
    Link
    I just LOVE:aww::bloblove: this forum. So much to Read. So much to Learn!
    But when reading questions here, I HAVE to go back and find read - research the part to find the answer. Then - - when I go back to the part of the story I am reading I get Book 1 and Book 2 plot confused in my brain.
    Its an Attention Deficit thing, I can concentrate really good on one thing at a time! But there are so many things here! Its so much FUN TO READ THIS STUFF!
    Anyway - thanks bunches to those that oversee this forum and those that provide the spoilers!! Wheeee!:blobparty::blobparty::aww:

Mxt and maxi_anatol like this.
  14. Charlesberlenka1

Charlesberlenka1 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok.
    1. I understand what your saying by she’s a memebers of the world tower but standing up for somebody even if they are a criminal persay is not breaking a law….whenever they call him a criminal she can simply say…his name is Ruth…or he’s only trying to help, etc.

2. why do Ruth owe his life to Riftan? I understand he’s serving as his wizard but he doesn’t necessarily have to…from the book….other wizards get PAID to serve the other rich nobles….so why do Ruth have to put up with threats of all sorts from him? And why doesn’t he say anything back? If anything Riftan owes his life to Ruth because if it wasn’t for Ruth who saved him even before he was his wizard …Riftan would have been dead….(from my understanding)

3: I do mot hate maxi….I felt for her I’m the first book…and I understand she got abused…and I understand that if it wasn’t for her that a lot of people including Ruth and Herboron would have died…I understand why she went to the tower and .I also understand why she left the tower early…I do not disagree with a single thing she did there….I am PROUD OF ALL SHE DID AND SHE REALLY IS A Genuine person. However all I’m saying is she can be a bit insensitive….from what I’ve read so far….yes Riftan is obsessive…however he’s really a given person…he not only gives maxi gifts but he also gives in to what she wants as well such as being a healer in anatol even though he doesn’t want her to….Howeber Maxxi after leaving the world tower is not really compromising to him….even though she agrees to not be reckless….she’s still reckless….he wants her to go left she goes right….he wants her to jump she walks…I get it she wants to be by his side but she ALSO KNOWS BY DOING THIS IT HURTS HIM and she still does it anyways….for example like joining the second war…she kept saying she doesn’t think Riftan would be ok with it…and she’s correct…HES NOT OK WITH IT…but she did what she wants anyways because it’s WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO…and it’s like what is she going to do when she becomes a mother…leave her kids behind just to chase after him? She doesn’t relieze that she also puts him in danger the most just by being there….instead of him just looking out for HIMSELF AND somewhat HIS TIME….now all he can do IS FOCUS ON HER SAFTY and make decision based on what he thinks would get them to end the war faster REGARDLESS OF HIS AND HIS MEN SAFETY.

sorry for the long reply I hope that makes sense

jujurlah likes this.
  15. jjcheng

Reading List:
    Link
    I think probably the last thing Maxi expected when she came back was a welcome party...like she was hugely relieved when she saw Riftan kept her letters by his bedside, because she was afraid that Riftan might no longer interested in her...(Remember at this point Maxi still doesn’t know why Riftan loves her in the first place)

I can understand why Riftan wants Maxi to stay inside the Castle in Book 1, but in Book 2 Maxi has already become a high ranking wizard and Riftan still wants Maxi to stay inside the Castle...I know Riftan loves Maxi but sometimes his way of expressing love is kinda opinionated...Soon or later I feel Riftan needs to become comfortable with the idea that he won’t have a stay-at-home wife :blob_grin:

Also, I want to see Maxi to be more blunt (yes blunt!) in expressing her love to Riftan too!! In the scene where Maxi was on the way to rescue Riftan’s team (who didn’t come back after investigating the monster city), Maxi swear that she would tell Riftan that she would never leave him again. However, after our couple found each other and had a kiss:blob_blush:, Riftan started scolding Maxi for rescuing him... Then Maxi became angry and said none of the words she swear she would ...I mean girl where is your resolution lol, your husband is just acting like a big man, don’t mind what he says and just show your affectionate and love:blobhero:

16. Flyinghigh79

Flyinghigh79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing I would love later on, is that Riftan tells Maxi that he once asked her father for his blessing to offer her the knights geth, and Maxi tells him that he should do it and he then gives her a knights geth.

Mxt, marucalypse and Elfstress like this.
  17. jjcheng

Reading List:
    Link
    Just my thought on this, Riftan is always acting as a provider in their relationship (probably because of his inner inferiority so he thinks Maxi is too good for him). But love isn’t a one way tunnel, just as Riftan always wants to protect Maxi, Maxi wants to protect Riftan too!

When Maxi wants to help him (like give him recovery/healing spell, come rescuing him when his team is in trouble, goes to the rear when he is fighting in frontline), he always says no or disapprove her, even though Maxi is capable of doing all of these...

I understand our boi Riftan had a hard life when growing up, so he always has to act as the strongest and try to solve everything on his own, but it shouldn’t hurt to receive help from the people he loves. I don’t think the way to console Riftan’s feeling is by doing what he wants. If Maxi does not fight for her ground, Riftan will continue to treat her as a fragile little girl who need his full protection.

I feel Riftan puts too much weight on his shoulder, there is an inner boy in Riftan who need to be cherished and pampered. I hope Maxi will continue to grow and truly be the one who can support him.

18. fruKv

fruKv Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In book 1, when Riftan leaves Maxi in the monastery when he goes out to war (chapter 136 on ridi). He gives her the coin as a good-luck charm.
    The whole scene is equally adorable and heartbraking, actually
    Kinda like the entire story is, come to think of it....

19. tickytocky

tickytocky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obligation, yes. I felt that way too. But when Ruth explained to Maxi why Uslin was hostile towards Maxi regarding the force marriage:

All the Knights of Remdragon thought that would happen. Those two had great chemistry in combat and they looked great on the outside. But Lord Calypse doesn’t speak his mind very well..

Those great chemistry was what i was talking about. From the pov of others especially the RDK, there is a bond between them. I agree with you about Ruth and Maxi, what they have is much more closer than a friendship. And of course from the pov of RDK, they could also see a bond between Ruth and Maxi.

Those types of bond is something was what i was saying that Maxi and Riftan would never understand. Maxi knew Agnes is just Riftan's colleague, Riftan knew Ruth is just Maxi's friend. Yet they still jealous of each other to the point of stupid and hilarious :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy:

And of course, there is a bond between Riftan and Maxi that other people would never understand. The RDK knew what Maxi meant to Riftan, but they dont really know their bond is too deep that it started while they were younger.

20. Rixi Calypse

Rixi Calypse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m dyinngggg!!!

So intrigue with those books from the club!
    Glad that Maxi got friends from the Tower!

Now it makes me think, it might do good to spark a fight, discussions, and opening up leading to an explosive snu snu we the (anxious frustrated readers) have been dreaming of!