Spoiler Under the oak tree

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lovina, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Chikitaki

Chikitaki New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do wish that b@$+@7*! Is never born :mad:

bradpitt69 and tunafish007 like this.
  2. jujurlah

jujurlah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CAN'T GET OVER. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Thank goodness Riftan and Maxi werent attached to the miscarried baby, that'll be another trauma for the two. Riftan was hella traumatized not by losing a child but by witnessing his wife almost dying because she lost a lot of blood and her bloody appearance was deeply embedded in his memory.

Mind you that Maximilian is the only family of Riftan, she was the only reason he was able to live up to now because she was his only good memory and the dream that fogs his nightmares.

Max tend to seem selfish because when she wants something so desperately, she will do whatever she can to get it which causes her to act reckless and stubborn - to add, her decisions often go against Riftan's who hates to put any feather-sized burden on her shoulers.

When she dared to follow riftan alone and got caught by Kuahel and Ruth, Ruth was probably expecting it and Kuahel probably had a orientation from Riftan, i thought it was a bit irresponsible for her to go there on her own.
    She could've died, got lost or worse burdened the rest of the group. What do you think will Riftan do when that happens?
    I hope the somehow makes Max realize there's a time to be reckless and a time to just wait. Also, thinking twice or several times before doing something that will cost her own life and others.

Max wont be existing either.

3. moshimoichi

moshimoichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i wouldn't blame him! ruth spend almost three paragraphs freaking out over how huge riftan is :blob_grin: by the age of 16 i think riftan was already 5'10-5'11 and he was pretty muscular already :blobdizzy: even riftan himself was shocked at how huge he was growing

ooh i think it was his mother who was from the southern continent? they keep mentioning that it was his mother who was the foreigner, but i am not sure. nonetheless riftan got them genes yo

this hurt too much :-: atleast now riftan has a reason to be proud of his last name. his last name will live through maxi and their future children T-T

4. renuaapturkar

renuaapturkar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How i can find ' under the oak tree' novel on ridibooks??

5. jujurlah

Reading List:
    Link
  6. renuaapturkar

renuaapturkar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can please how find this book on ridibooks???

7. sheerankamar

sheerankamar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My POV on Maxi
    To say that she’s selfish is the complete opposite actually because the only reason why she makes detrimental choices is the fact that she values other people’s lives before hers and honestly it makes me sad seeing she’s still struggling from her insecurities even after becoming a wizard. She’s a bit unsure of her capabilities and I feel like she disregards her life as unimportant most of the time as she’s accustomed to it. Not to mention, she doesn’t understand why Riftan has this blind affection towards her. I get why some people hate her and the decisions she’s made but I have to disagree on her being selfish because the choices she made was due to putting other people’s lives above hers which is considered a very good thing. She’s been alone her whole life and this is what Riftan is familiar with. I just want them to talk things through as a married couple and share their weaknesses together. I’m not blindly supporting Maxi but I understand that the choices she made and I understand it hurts Riftan too. Riftan has seen her pain down to the core because he saw it with his own two eyes and so I can’t imagine him having to almost lose Maxi, lose their baby and only finding out that all this while he regards her as a noble lady of a high stature and then seeing her be beaten like an animal. Maxi doesn’t know much about him and she wants him to share his weakness which he’s not inclined to because Riftan doesn’t want to burden her but fails to understand that healing comes from expressing and sharing pain. It’s a complex love story tbh. No one is wrong and no one is right. They just need to sort it out through a conversation.

8. exactly7bees

exactly7bees Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Richt Bleston's father was a reincarnation of Uigru, so he thought by becoming a knight he would also inherit the title, but he's careless and brash so he doesn't. He hates Riftan because he's racist and jealous. So technically Riftan should fight Richt's dad, he's the one with the title!

9. jujurlah

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying she is selfish. I never thought she is like that.
    What im trying to say is that she appears to be selfish because of the reason u stated above, esp towards Riftan. Her decisions hurt others but benefits a mass of the population.

If Max didn't do what she did, though she almost died in the process, Riftan wouldn't see himself and realize he is already being too suffocating and obssessive of Max, hurting both of them in the process.

her will to help people, despite having the least experience in almost everything because she was hidden by her damned father, is similar to a selfless heroine willing to give her life if it'll benefit a lot of peolple especially those who she cares for.

Their differences teaches both of them and maybe day they'll acknowledge those and adjust their mindsets.

Dasol. My bad. I can't express my thoughts and ends up creating a big misunderstanding. This is my last post. jk.:censored::ROFLMAO:

10. sheerankamar

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually Bleston is also considered the reincarnation of Uigru. In Book 2, the wizards mention that prior to the war, there are 4 reincarnations of Uigru. Problem with Richt he’s obsessed with that idea and I feel like he’s coming duel with Riftan, he might even want Maxi as a trophy wife.

marucalypse likes this.
  11. meeowmeeow

meeowmeeow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, its Richt’s father, Greyhart Bleston, who is called Uigru’s reincarnation.
    Its mentioned in author’s q&a and “seven kingdoms handbook” (you can search it up).

And Riftan already beat Richt in book 1 (when Richt tried to attack Riftan with a knife)

12. sheerankamar

Reading List:
    Link
    Sir Uigru was the best knight in the continent. If I’m not mistaken, in book 2 someone did say that there’s a hierarchy between the best knights and you have to defeat the best or leading knight from other kingdoms to reach the top. From the song, it’s mentioned that Sir Uigru rode a white dragon and left his nymph under the oak tree. According to my research, nymphs are beautiful beings and drayds specifically are forest nymphs. They’re generally lovers of great heroes and gods.

Riftan’s mother is from the South and is believed to be a Pagan. It’s apparent that the southern part of the continent are pagans or use to be pagans and were widely criticised since majority of the people in the seven kingdoms are believers of the holy church. (It’s a bit insensitive so I’m really sorry if I said something wrong)

No actually. They have to have a duel or swords fight. The knife incident was barely called a fair fight.

It’s alright. This forum is made as a discussion. I understand why people side on Riftan but I also need to express myself that the MC isn’t as bad as how people think she is.

13. meeowmeeow

meeowmeeow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I bought the entire books on ridi but I’m surprised no one has spoiled Riftan’s pov ch.44
    It’s one of my favorite chapters, right before Riftan slayed the dragon

Would anyone be interested if I post it :X3:

14. Chikitaki

Chikitaki New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please ;).. Looking 4wrd for it.

15. Alessiavie

Alessiavie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PLEASE PLEASE SPILL ITT :blobmelt: THANKSSSS :aww:

Skylard3008 and GED like this.
  16. moshimoichi

moshimoichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MY GOD YES PLEASE YES YES YES

17. Safeng

Safeng Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Wow, this is a detailed list! You could also include Garrow; he was a bit on the sidelines because of Yurixion (although they're usually together in book 1), but he managed to save her from an attacking goblin even when he was still recuperating from head injury in book 2 during the war.

I don't know how to spoil, cos in Ridibooks, I click on the direct view and read the mtl; copy/paste doesn't work. With the mtls, you can get a sort of overview/gist of the scenes, BUT a lot of the dialogues don't translate well (maybe mostly because of Maxi's stuttering) so it actually misleads.

I discovered that I'm missing a lot of nuances with mtl while rereading the earlier chapters of OAK in LNH, and there was an overseas Korean who was correcting the translation there (the earlier chapters in LNH seemed more like an mtl that has been roughly edited). From her, I learned for instance that the 'ha..ha..but...' (which comes out a lot in mtl) should have been translated 'b... b... but'. The explanation is that in Korean the word is actually 'ha..ha..hajimah' which means 'but'.

So I hope there will be more people, who can read and understand Korean, who can point out things we may be missing from the spoiled mtls/translations here. We really need an official English translation.

18. meepmedicine

meepmedicine Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Riftan's mother is a maid from Southern origin (brown/dark skinned). Riftan's father, a handsome looking knight, "had fun" with this maid and got her pregnant, gave her some money and abandoned her.

Riftan's mom then found a kind man to take care of her and Riftan, and gave him the coins she got from the knight. The coins became dowry and Riftan's stepfather kept it safe by hiding it. Riftan's mother did not love this kind man nor care for Riftan. All she did was brush her hair neatly, dress up nicely and waited on a small hill every evening sunset, hoping to see the knight to come back to her.

Riftan is now a peasant, working at a horse stable at Croix castle, and his father is a farmer peasant too. Their family could barely feed themselves. Peasants have no surname so Riftan does not have a surname, only "Riftan".

After Riftan grew up to somewhere before 12, his stepfather took out the precious dowry coins and paid on Riftan's behalf, he begged the blacksmiths to take Riftan into apprenticeship. His stepfather did not want Riftan to end up like him, a useless farmer peasant for the rest of his life with no way out. At least, becoming blacksmith would get Riftan to live decent life.

Riftan hated everything in his life. Everything is messed up and horrible. He now works at the blacksmiths place, even though he's an apprentice now, but the blacksmiths and other apprentice work him like a slave, all because of his eye-catching dark skin amongst the white people. Everyone in that place hates dark skinned Southerners.

The only thing that soothe his heart is seeing a bright red curly hair girl at the end of his horrible everyday life. Even though his arms and body ache like it's going to break after all the unfair hard labor, he still tries his best to make the little girl happy.

Despite his efforts to go closer to getting happiness, he knows clearly deep down, that red haired girl is a noble, daughter of Duke Croix (most powerful/richest man in his eyes), and he himself, is the lowest of all peasant (farmer+dark skin). A damned piece of nothing like him should never dream of getting close to that red haired little girl.

Some stories happened but you can read this on Riftan's POV. It's available if you Google it

Riftan suddenly fell very very ill and for the first time ever, Riftan's mother became very caring to him and fed him porridge, took care of him.

He finally felt a bit of love in his life. He wondered why his mom was suddenly so nice to him. He thought to himself, maybe being sick isn't so bad after all.

The next day, Riftan's mother hung herself on the ceiling, which haunted and traumatized Riftan so so so deeply because he witnessed her dangling body after coming home at night. She killed herself because the knight died on a battlefield and all her hopes for waiting for him to come back to her shattered. And it is revealed here that, the reason why Riftan's mother did not want to talk/interact with Riftan at all is because Riftan looked too identical to his biological father and it broke her heart everytime.

So, this is when Riftan closed up his heart to the outside world. Before this, Maxi, the only good things he sees, has already been planted in his heart. Riftan simply hates the entire world and only has Maxi in his heart.

Riftan then grew up and finally joined the knights. He named his surname as Calypse (sword), as that is the only thing that fed him and he relies on.

The skills Riftan has gained is not from his father.
    He got the skills because of his extremely tough life. He sees everyone as an enemy and he thinks from his opponent perspective. That makes him very keen in hitting fatal points and defeat his enemies. Riftan is a deadly killer before he became a knight (or maybe after, since he's killed so many people just to survive/complete his job).

Does all of this answer your question?

*Additional: Riftan's obsession on Maxi is the exact situation of Riftan's mother on her lover knight.
    Riftan himself clearly knows how messed his mother is, and does not want to end up like her, waiting eternally for someone who has abandoned her. How pathetic it is, in Riftan's eyes.
    This is why Riftan is so overprotective and attached to Maxi. He's afraid he will end up like that. But he just cannot control his feelings towards Maxi, all his life he just wished these stupid feelings would just go away and he should just move on, but it just cannot. It's excruciatingly painful to him. This love is hurting him to the core.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  19. GED

GED Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read chapter 44 here will post later what page when I get home

bradpitt69, tim718 and Y0jik0 like this.
  20. tim718

tim718 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This ^^ it was very hard for Riftan. Specially when the Duke used his father to make him marry maxi and go to the dragon expedition. And how other people thinks he raped maxi. Our boy is misunderstood. And he has difficulty expressing his feelings.

I really feel pity and sad for his step father. He tried to do what he thinks is best for riftan even if he's not really his son. And that he was jailed to threaten riftan. His step father doest deserve that, and so riftan agreed to what the Duke wants. :'-(

bradpitt69 and marucalypse like this.