Discussion Have you tried speeding things up?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jul 22, 2021.

?

I wish the pace of life is a tad bit slower

1. Yah me too *sits and watch the rain with you*

50.0%
  2. I'm perfectly fine with it *goes on your own merry way*

8.3%
  3. I want it to go faster tbh

25.0%
  4. I want it over.

41.7%
  5. *noms skullie*

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yahallo, it's me again xD

Ever tried listening to audio books and podcasts or watching movies and series in higher speed?

I've been doing this for years now. Not all the time but most of the time. I set audio books and podcasts in 2.0 speed while I set vids at 1.5 speed. I can't recall when I started, I think it was during high school days. I'm always listening to something while in commute, my travel time takes more or less an hour or two. I remember being Radiolab the first thing I tried it with. It was hard at start. Everything was so fast. So I started with small increases. from 1.25 to 1.5 to 2.0

Amazingly, your brain would start to adjust itself, and it would feel the same as normal speed. You'd still comprehend it despite the speed. I don't suggest it with music related things tho. It doesn't sound nice at all imo. Aight, that's it for me. Have you tried it? Do you want to try it? Thoughts?

2. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Speeding videos up gives me a headache when I watch them....:blobconfused: I haven't really done it more than a couple of times long ago.

3. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I do think the idea of listening to audio books etc. on a faster speed seems like a good idea. And once used to it, maybe listening to Math lectures or stuff would be a good idea too. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

With movies and most story-related things, I think in my preference I'd watch them at their normal pace.
    I already miss stuff when they're not sped up:facepalm:, so speeding a movie up would probably leave me confused and missing plot.

Myself likes this.
  4. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't tried it but I will totally try it out now. I have a short attention span so when listening to stuff i usually don't get to the end before i decide to go and do something else. It happens the most when watching anime or listening to/reading a book, its really annoying so will try and see if this helps, Thanks

Bad Storm likes this.
  5. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, I had it hard at first too. But now I barely feel it.
    I thinks it's good for straightforward shows. It's not that good if the show has some complicated interweaving details.

Ayez good luck. It took a bit of time to adjust tho but hope it works for you.

Mr. Tired likes this.
  6. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, specially on boring parts. But if its a video in another language with english sub, i sometimes just 1.0x for the sake of learning

7. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some youtubers talk agonizingly slow. I have to speed it up to get it to normal speed. Other times I’m cramming information and need to speed things up to finish in time. Never tried movies though

8. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, Ikr. If I speed up things with sub, I'm not done reading before next scene comes. I play those 1.0 speed too
    Yah, indeed. Especially those videos that takes more than 30mins :blobexpressionless:

9. Myself

Myself Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can confirm, very useful for watching math lectures. I don’t even revise anymore, about a week before the exam I just rewatch all lectures at 2x speed and it works pretty well.

10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually started to pull away from my audiobooks because it just became boring. Never thought to try to increase the speed. Maybe I’ll give it a second chance. I’ll try what you suggested and speed it up. Worth a shot

11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can adjust to high speeds, and it's quite nice for class videos, but I still have to pause and slow down when I come across confusing stuff... :blobsalt:

12. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped using audio books for a different reason. I usually listen at night and more often than not I fall asleep without meaning to. When I wake up, I don't know where I am at so I end up repeating the same portion again and again hahaha

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  13. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve never tried it or even been tempted to try it. I’m perfectly fine with my stuff being at normal speed.

14. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes. I mostly just press skip. I prefer a transcript of the audio cause I read faster than the audio which pisses me off, since the narrators always have nice voices I want to listen to.

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I only do it in rare occasions... Like...

1) When I'm watching an anime that I'm disliking on sheer willpower, I'll probably watch it sped up so that I can go through the episodes more quickly and see if it can somehow get my interest back... If it doesn't happen in a few episodes, I'm dropping it (only happens if the anime is part of a big franchise I'm a fan of, otherwise I just drop it without trying to plow through with sheer willpower.).

2) When I'm watching a really long youtube video that I only care about one specific thingy. By speeding it up I can get to the part I care about quicker.

Otherwise... Not really. I like stuff at normal speed~

16. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometime watch yt videos at 2.0x speed. Usually i slow it down when it get to the interesting stuff.
    Although slowing it back to normal speed sometime makes me feel that the sound is off somehow for a few second before my mind adjust back the speed.

I wonder why there isnt a 4x speed..

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna try 4x speed too...

In this case I'd just skip skip skip till I reach the part i need haha

GonZ555 likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I do that too, but sometimes I'm unsure of where exactly is the stuff I wanna hear about, so I just try speeding up.

And well, I can also skip and use speed up together! \(^^)/

Bad Storm likes this.
  19. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I get distracted too easily for that, but hoping if i do it enough i can comprehend better