How do Cultivation Sects and Cultivators in Wuxia novels earn money?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TheLauMan, Jul 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TheLauMan

TheLauMan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously, how?

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a very complicated question, but I'd often boil it down to taxes and trade.

Shio likes this.
  3. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do missions and sell beast parts/pills/spirit weapons and stuff. They can also make money from properties they own like mines. They also get gifts from people wanting to make connections.

4. IXAzraelXI

IXAzraelXI < Atheistic Angel >

Reading List:
    Link
    just like mortals taxes lending selling trading making goods performing services

5. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Protection money from mortal kingdoms, Subsidiary companies in mortal world, and grave robbing. There are also some specialized sects that create weapons and pills and sell them. Such sects also own mines and grow herbs in their gardens.

Ilyusha likes this.
  6. MinUp

MinUp Maidenless, yet Homiefull

Reading List:
    Link
    Donations? Like how temples and shrines does stuff.

7. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They usually have some people to make pills and artifacts and whatnot, and they have some magic resources like spiritual herb farms, mineral mines, demonic beast corpses, spiritual beast farms--I guess they might sell that (since oftentimes this is the property of the cultivator who made/found it, they might collect a fee from sect members' earnings). They could also engage in normal trade of nonspiritual goods.

It's also possible that they collect protection fees, since, as righteous sects, they usually act like vigilantes/police. I suppose they are also big influences in their area and may accept bribes to back political figures and merchants, or do errands and missions for the local bigshots (or just normal people).

In the case of demonic sects, they probably just rob/raid, and do black market stuff like human trafficking.

I know buddhist monks and temples accept and partially live off of donations, but I'm not sure how daoist sects deal with donations, if they accept them at all. There also those ascetic sects that are pretty much completely self-sufficient and cut off from the mortal world and/or the cultivation world, and thus don't need money. But I feel like these are actually pretty rare in xianxia/xuanhuan.

8. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    It's 99% spirit stone mines. It is the hard currency for cultivators plus the tax from the mortals of the kingdom or region where they are based since the sect is supposed to flourish the economy of that region and that supposed region is supposed to be more safer as the territory of ABC sect

9. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    They are many industries: hunting, mining, alchemy, farming, artifacts, scrolls and so on. The best thing about wuxia is it's economy.