Discussion *Is NOVEL ENTIRELY FICTION OR A PARTIAL TRUTH OF ONE'S LIFE*

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Koro-sensei, Jul 24, 2021.

?

Is Novel entirely fiction or partial truth of one's life

1. yes, inspired by truth

30.8%
  2. no, just really a fiction

7.7%
  3. I don't really care, I just read it

46.2%
  4. Really? I don't know, I'm not sure

15.4%
  1. Koro-sensei

Koro-sensei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Min'na-san, I always wonder how other people have time to reflect beyond what they read about fiction books, regardless of its' romance, fantasies, sci-fi, you name it. I am really curious to know how people see beyond the naked eye, the perceived thoughts about the novel author is trying to convey.

What I actually wanted to ask, is novel an entirely vision of author's imagination or is there fragments of what an author looked like in real life----his/her desires, hopes, experiences, trauma or fear.

Have you ever wonder at one point if the character that you're reading in a novel might resembled a partial truth of the author's life...?

Or if you are a writer, have you felt like writing a story, ....characters that might reflect what you wanted or what you hated about yourself...what you hoped you wanted to become and the failures from your experiences?

If I were to be asked, Harry Potter could be an example. Harry Potter's life is a resemblance of author's life...an explanation of Harry Losing his loved ones.┐(´д` )┌

Welp, Feel free to argue and stand for your own thoughts. ╮(╯ ∀ ╰)╭ I'm happy to read it! *nurufufufu*

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I'm just reading to see what facts about reality the author was conscious of as they were writing. For example, do physical laws still apply to the fictional world in the story? Did they use and cool theoretical concepts to flesh out their world? Conflict rarely interests me in a novel so it's more about the author's ability to create a world with the information they know about, and sometimes I'm very impressed that they can teach me something here and there.

mir, Koro-sensei and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  3. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really a yes or no answer. Sometimes, yes they do use some parts of their life in their story. Other times, it can be completely unrelated. Really depends on what they are thinking about when writing.

mir, Koro-sensei and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  4. Koro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    That good to know Ungrave chan (^◇^ ;)

Yes, that's very true (^◇^ ;)

UnGrave likes this.
  5. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering everything I do is a culmination of my past experiences, stories written by me would also be influenced by what I've experienced. Whether they actually are based off of real events is a different story, though. They can be based off stories I've read, or things I've thought up, not necessarily events that took place in real life.

I certainly do believe that works contain the author's sentiments. Since it's a creative thing, they'll do it differently depending on what they think. But a lot of them don't really push an agenda and are just influenced by what the author thinks would be something they and/or readers would be satisfied with.

mir and Koro-sensei like this.
  6. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Every novel should be fiction even it was based the truth/true event.
    There should be something in the beginning that say “This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events, is purely coincidental.”

Well, actually I only find 1 or 2 on the hardcover/published book and most of them I can't find any at all or I just missed

Koro-sensei likes this.
  7. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    KORO SENSEI!!
    ME ME, CHOOSE ME!

SENSEI! I AM AN AUTHOR ON SCRIBBLEHUB, AND ADDING A PART IF YOURSELF INTO YOUR STORY..
    *coughs coughs*
    I shouldn't yell,
    So, it is normal for amateur authors to intentionally or unintentionally relate themselves to the characters they made. This is because the characters are like author's children.

However, this is not recommended, since it will make storytelling hard. It would be difficult to write any obstacles if you believe yourself to be the characters. Even killing a minor character can make the author cry.

Koro-sensei likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The things I experienced and my morals are certainly reflected in my writing, and I think that goes to everyone... To some extent.

Like, someone may purposefully make an evil character by making someone that does the exact opposite of what they consider right and stuff.

It's impossible to not be influenced by your experiences when creating something because those experiences shaped you...

But well, if you're asking if I put something that directly resembles the experiences I went through in life, or characters that are directly based on someone I know... Then the answer is no. Some people do it, but that depends on each author~

The influences are a lot more indirect and subtle than a direct insert on my case~

mir, aShinyVaporeon and Koro-sensei like this.
  9. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    It is even possible that since author loves his characters so much, a simple inconvenience might be a major even for the author, but minor for the readers.

About your question, do I do it?
    Well, I am a comedy author Koro sensei, I live on making fun of everything

Koro-sensei likes this.
  10. Koro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a good insight, thank you Vaporeon-chan! ~ヾ(^∇^)

Now I remember it is indeed essential to put that in books @Harry-chan, but it is sometimes funny to know how things are coincidental in the first place. If I were to be asked, some things are simply meant to happen the way it should be.

That's amazing! @Agentt -chan, and yes that's interesting to metaphorically relate the character as author's children ~ヾ(^∇^)

That's a very good thing to ponder from you @AliceShiki-chan ~ヾ(^∇^)

It suited you well on putting glad faces delighted by your pieces @Agentt-chan ~ヾ(^∇^)

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  11. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels are always fiction. Despite how much the author put themselves in the story, it's still a different world with different people. It has it's own laws and societal norms. The characters themselves have their own stories.

Koro-sensei likes this.
  12. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's sometimes based off IRL?
    Like character relationships and stuff usually need some modicum of logic in them, and I would guess some of that is from IRL (though often, it's going to be exaggerated for drama and stuff)

Settings feel more likely to be purely fictional, though.

Koro-sensei likes this.
  13. Koro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    I may have to agree with that because novels are still considered with many different aspects. Thank you for the insight Storm-kun! (〃´∀`)

Bad Storm likes this.