LCD Matan's Shooter

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by gary0044187, Jun 13, 2021.

1. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manhwa name: Arcane Sniper

Hey all, I am just getting into this one. Really enjoyed the Manhwa and one thing that bothered me about it was when even after he learned the tap method of reloading the musket, he is still firing at a rate of every 53 seconds or something like that. I commented there that it's because he has crippled hands. does the author correct that in the novel? or should I expect mc to be reloading 1/minute in this novel as well?

As for the LCD, I haven't caught up so I can't quite comment, but the premise is interesting, even if it's a bit rough rereading it. It seems in the novel he's been moping about for 4 months, where as the manhwa he had made a serious effort to work on physical rehab. has anyone noticed anything else that seems significantly different between the two?

also, did anyone else start calling him "crippled hands" while reading the manhwa? I got the term from planetside 2, where the heavy assault's reload for most lmgs is 2 seconds long. and with the lack of motions, it looks like the toon is just moving his hands very slowly. where as the mg42 from stray dog, where dude had to lift that mechanism over the barrel, remove the belt for the old ammo, grab the belt for the new ammo, and feed that into the firearm before lowering the mechanism again and triggering the latch or whatever it was, which totally looked like it would take 2 seconds, in planetside 2, your character merely had the motion of ejecting the old drum, and then replacing the new drum, just slowed to take 2 excruciating seconds.

Either way, I am only at chapter 7 now, can't wait to catch up.

chapter 7: part of the reason I am having a hard time getting through this is it's hard to experience someone else's mobility being destroyed like what happens to Ha Leeha. He's lost feeling from his stomach down. he's lost his mobility. he's gone from an energetic and successful young man to a bitter, injured person. it's terribly sad to see, but it's encouraging as the arc of the story seems to push towards him being healed eventually. I've lost range of movement and functionality as well, but I am not nearly as young as him. hate to see it, and I can totally empathize.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to experience the feeling, it is easy. Just cripple your hands and try handling an (toy) gun, As for the one with the stomach, i know some people who can amputate you. If you want to know more, you can contact me.

3. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, chapter 23 and without the system he's taking 2 full minutes to load. which I am pretty sure I was able to beat as a teenager at scout camp. there are only so many physical actions required to load, you literally cannot physically perform them that slowly. is this a mistranslation?

4. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I have seen, I think the author (or in world game devs) got the statistics wrong for for the type of gun the MC uses. There is some false info out there if you do not actually look for info from people actually using those weapons.

It is also in wrong in the way I could see devs handicapping something they do not like for "balance".

EDIT : By stats I mean everything, RoF accuracy at range, etc. It feels like the default accuracy is way to low for the Mc to be able to be as accurate as he is, and he is to accurate for a non-rifled barrel.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    ErryChu and gary0044187 like this.
  5. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, sjmcc13. I get you. it just seems incredibly strange that he describes the game as super realistic, yet 5 total movements (after he starts using the tap method) is taking him a minute and a half? just how delayed are his movements? is he getting a cooldown between steps? are his arms being slowed by some inexorable force? it simply doesn't make sense if he is in full control of his movements.

here's the exact video I scene the author is referencing the MC using to learn to load with the tap method. which is entirely unnecessary for firing in a rapid pace, but cute nonetheless if you don't mind losing quite a bit of the muzzle velocity of your shot.-

literally, the poorly trained troops were firing at 2 rounds a minute prior to learning the tap method (which was my expectation having fired black powder rifles as a youth). IE, they are firing 4 times as fast as him and yet they are considered subpar by the officers training them.

there's a similar scene in glory and in the last samurai where the officer demonstrates the rates at which the men are expected to load using the correct process at rates similar to what sharpe expects, but without the silly tap method. glory and last samurai they were using caps instead of pouring gunpowder into a priming pan. but the rate of fire expected of them should (still) be 3 shots a minute.

yeah, I agree about that point about accuracy, which would have been fine if he was able to reload every 20 seconds like a trained shooter should. hell, if "bayonet" was actually a ring bayonet he could affix and use to fight in melee instead of a ridiculous active skill. MC's accuracy should not be quite what it is, however.... the author did imply this guy was a damned good shooter. having never missed a bullseye even out to 500 meters while in the army. if you watch good sharpshooter channels, you will find guys missing the entire target as they try to range in a shot with a gun they are unfamiliar with. so maybe MC's got a preternaturally good sense with shooting that is beyond what even well trained snipers can acheive. the only thing about his accuracy at range is that they do describe his musket as being like an early 1700s level, which could be rifled. as they were invented in 1520 and started adoption in militaries in the 16th century.

edit: this is not to say I don't disagree with the assisted combat being so slow considering his damage per shot, if you are going to include assistance like that then great, and it makes sense, but the moment the character turns that off, it is mechanically improbably he's performing those steps that slowly, unless as I said in my first post, he's got crippled hands.

glory-

last samurai (ehh, it's not quite as much about loading in a timely manner, but boy did that dude fly through the steps when he had that revolver being shot at him)-

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. Novirp13

Novirp13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, did he even turn the system off in the first place? I don't get a feeling he did, cuz he just went to log in after the forced log off

If he didn't, then I get why he's slow tho

7. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    initially no, but by the time he's hunting bears he's turned it off. it was necessitated by the cost of powder. ol' cripple hands, just like a ps2 heavy assault.

8. Novirp13

Novirp13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...I don't know much about gun in the first place. Whether it's because it's been a while since he train or the gun is too heavy, I enjoy the manhwa anyway :'D

9. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    figure that by the time he has made it to the capital he's fired his musket a few hundred times, which should be enough to make the motions pretty much ingrained. so by then the actions would almost be habit. at this point we can assume it's a game balance thing in spite of the assist being turned off which runs contrary to the supposed realism. imagine a swordsman's swing speed being slowed to one third of what you can achieve realistically. players would be flocking to the forums to bitch.

10. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but most people have a sense of how fast they can swing a sword.
    There are a few other issues that show the author either does not have a full understanding of historical firearms, like the majority of people do not, or is banking on the reader having none.

11. Novirp13

Novirp13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Author not having a full understanding is pretty common. I read FPS Isekai (or whatever the name of that novel is) before, and the translator is waaayyy more knowledgable than the author themselves. It's kinda funny how the translator btch about the innacuracy XD