No Incentive to Watch the Olympics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by otaku31, Jul 26, 2021.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I speak as an Indian, as one of a nation of 1.4 billion people, with a paltry (as paltry as paltry can be) haul of bronzes and silvers. I cannot find in myself the altruism to cheer to watch and cheer on for our contingent when I don't particularly enjoy the sports or most importantly, when I don't expect them to win. Not that it's the athletes' fault; it's our system, where all sports save one— the one Shaw considered "a game played by 11 fools and watched by 11,000 fools"— which is responsible. They're not simply considered viable careers and those that go against the grain and pursue them are not provided adequate support and assistance until they win— a paradox since how can they be expected to perform when the aid is not there in the first place?

But enough of that. Let's go back to the woe of every Indian when major international sports events come around— the medal tally. And unlike many countries which have their specialties where athletes are expected to haul in the gold, Indians rely on happenstance more than strength in particular disciplines to add to their meager tally. It's entertaining though, anticipating where our next bronze or, god willing, silver (we usually dare not hope for gold) is going to come from. And hoping it's not the last one.

I hope this post comes back to bite me in the ass. Face-slapping, anyone? :aww:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never watched a single Olympic game ever. Maybe the highlights, when watching the news. Similarly I have never cheered for any athlete ever. Because it wouldn't make a difference. It's not like I know voodoo magic or something, that cheering for the athletes from miles away will miraculously boost their chances to win. The government should instead use fake online ID's to generate cheering and morale boosting messages and posts, since no one will be able to tell the difference anyways.

3. Shipper_notM

Shipper_notM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, regardless of whether I think my county will win or not, I can't seem to bother watching.
    It's not like I have no hope in them or anything, actually I have a lot of love for my country and pride (in some aspects) but I still can't find in me the strength to go out of my way to watch them compete for something like the Olympics :blobpeek:

otaku31 likes this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Fellow Indian here mate! I didn't watch the Olympics before, but watching the spectacle this time. I don't cheer any athletes while sitting in front of my mobile screen, I suppose. There can probably be a long debate on why India has poor sporting output, but I won't bore you with that. All that I can say is, stick to the sports you enjoy. That would be enough for you to enjoy the Olympics. You don't need to love all of it.

Lonelycity, FIEND and otaku31 like this.
  5. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, American here. I’m pretty sure we win here and there but I still don’t watch the Olympic. We have to pay media subscription to watch it. :blobwhistle: It’s just not worth it now

6. Lord Sith Lego

Lord Sith Lego Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only watch the Olympics for the female volleyball and female gymnastics with the occasional female tennis matches. I never been a big fan of sports in general as the indoor type.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your modesty makes you all the more delicious attractive. :blobdrool:
    A true man of culture sees culture in everything. :aww:

8. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't watch sports at all. Even though I love playing football, I've never watched a single match yet. To me, it feels like I'm an extra, waiting outside for my chance.

My cousins however are hardcore sports fans be it cricket, kabaddi or UFC. I was lowkey dragged to Raipur by them to watch an IPL match. I can't even remember which teams were playing let alone the year. Plus I had forgotten my specs in the car lol. My brother kept shouting 'Yuvi' while I devoured three biryanis that day. Good times.

I don't think anyone in my large family, relatives or friends watch Olympics. Though we get an update on Whatsapp groups whenever someone wins a medal. Yesterday, I read an article saying our silver medalist Mirabai might just win a gold medal as the one who won it, has to undergo a dope test, reportedly.

otaku31 likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never felt any need of watching the Olympics myself regardless of the win ratio of the athletes of my country tbh... >.>

And if it makes you any happier, soccer is basically the only sport that anyone gains any reasonable amount of money over here too. Everything else just has a garbage-tier wage.

I used to train artistic gymnastics just for fun back when I was younger... The same gym I trained in was a place where pros trained at... Not because I was in a fancy place, but because it was the only gym in the whole city.

And well, because my teachers were the same teachers that trained the pros, I often overheard them talking about the pros' situation and stuff... And like, they were people who competed in those big events themselves back when they were younger.

... Basically, most of the people aiming to be pros give up due to lack of money and/or lack of space to train if they're in a city that has no training facilities... So like... Either they find a different job, or they become teachers in places with actual gyms for them to train other people in (this includes the people that get gold medals in the Olympics btw).

Soccer players meanwhile retire at their 30-40s with a few million dollars in their accs and can go participate in tv shows or whatever if they want more... >.>

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I don't pay much attention other than the volleyball matches because our teams are pretty competitive at it and it's fun to follow the matches with my family since my older brother and his fiancee really like it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like being bitten in the ass, Ai-chan knows a dog that would be happy to do it everyday. Bastard must've had non-lethal rabies or mental illness or something.

12. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't really follow olympics except badminton cuz Indonesian people love badminton, and it's something we proud with. hmmm

otaku31 likes this.
  13. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve never bothered watching the olympics

otaku31 likes this.
  14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Man I'm sad enough the athletes has to compete with such conditions at all and here you go busting some more bleak reality on things. Not to mentions that Japanese hosts this time gives out quite a lot of scandals as well.

15. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I only watch the sports I like to watch . I watch clips of it but not the full thing because I’m not paying to watch it . I like to watch swimming , gymnastics , volleyball and table tennis . I’m not the hugest sports fan but I watch them on occasion .

16. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Why watch sports when you can play them instead

17. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There have been times that I have brief moments of watching past Olympic games in a family/living room at my house or someone else's. However, never got into the modern Olympics nor do I intend to.

18. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't bother cheering or watching for croatian teams.
    was in London 2012 that a guy went to the games, without support from the country. and won a gold medal in shooting.
    nd then suddenly there is support from the government. they always believed in him and that crap. after the guy had to pay for his own trip and stay for the london games. fucking disgusting.

now I'm mostly cheering for china. although I don't watch live, i do watch highlights on douyin. woo~

Hazel00 and reagents 11 like this.
  19. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Never watched it but I did find listening to success stories interesting. Just recently, my country won it's first gold medal ever and for some reasons I feel happiness as well. Then you year what they had gone through to reach that gold (and world record) and it just hits a little deeper.

Deleted member 367916 likes this.
  20. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    We'd rather find winners with Indian roots than actual Indian winners. It's become such a bad attitude of Indians, they take pride in "Indian Origin" things rather than becoming better. Just one word to this attitude : FOff

otaku31 likes this.