Discussion Do you need laptops in university?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cutiebinkie, Jul 27, 2021.

?

Do you have a laptop

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. What's that? Can you eat it?

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. cutiebinkie

cutiebinkie Nuju

Reading List:
    Link
    In university in your country, do you need laptops?

I'm probably starting university in January (Covid messed up my country's school calendar so bad TvT, we still haven't recovered), I don't have a laptop yet and I'm just wondering whether you guys need it.

I need it for work, studying, etc. Wbu?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    100%. Even before Covid a laptop or tablet was absolutely necessary. All assignments were pretty much digital for me and a lot of resources were available online too~

3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Even when I was in college over ten years ago, a laptop was a 100% necessity.

4. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need it, most colleges should have solutions for students who really can't get their hands on a laptop, but it'll definitely make your life much much easier. If you can afford it, I definitely suggest you get a laptop. Personal experience, in college some lecture classes go so fast typing is the only way you can keep up. Sure you can print notes (if provided) and write but it can get hard. It also depends on your campus but they most likely have some sort of publically available computer which is how you can survive even if you don't have a laptop. But realize these computers may be occupied and if you have an assignment or essay due online that's not a good experience. There are ways you can survive without a laptop, typing on your phone handwriting notes and essays to type on a computer when available or emailing professors for an exception if really not possible, but laptops make your life so much easier. Especially with COVID, some of your classes may be entirely online and unless you want to rely on a phone or public computer get a laptop and make your life easier.

5. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Gaming Laptop for ms.word

6. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    We need that, HARD.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that's a yes. However, the cost of the laptop will depend on what course you are studying. Don't go for those fancy touch screen fully 360 type laptops... Waste of money.

otaku31, Wujigege and cutiebinkie like this.
  8. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    In our current world. Yes. Most university have computer lab. Some even have multiple of them. I survived my first semester without a laptop by using the public computer in the computer lab. However getting one empty computer is like a war. And now with covid i don't think they would open the lab anymore with how packed it is usually.

Get a laptop. A used one is good too. Just make sure to upgrade the hdd to sdd for way smoother experience. Unless you're majoring in computer science or engineering that need to use some heavy software, you don't need an expensive laptop.

Some of my friends during university spent thousands on a laptop and mostly use it for gaming instead of their studies, which backfire since they got crappy exam result after that.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  9. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Universities do provide computer access to their students for most of the day, but not having your own laptop is pretty inconvenient. So unless you absolutely can't afford one, I'd suggest buying at least something basic.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  10. cutiebinkie

cutiebinkie Nuju

Reading List:
    Link
    I will! I'm going to study Mass Communication as well. I just don't want to worry about it getting stolen though:cry:

SylviaViolet likes this.
  11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried my first semester without a laptop, big mistake. I would walk into class then the teacher would say I uploaded the slides or worksheet before class pull it up to follow along. I always had to ask my neighbor to share theirs. Then my textbook was online as was the homework (I could pay extra for a physical copy but homework was still online). Then if I needed to type anything in class, use excel, look stuff up (needed this a lot, but you can use your phone), work on programs, take in class quizzes (didn't always work on my phone) and for attendance. I used the school computers for a while but they close and I couldn't stay late, sometimes they were all full or booked for a class. I tried to rent one from my school because they have a program for that but they were already rented out. I ended up having to buy one. Yes you need one, at least in my experience.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  12. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That definitely warrants having your own PC/laptop/tablet. You probably don't need anything very expensive, but something along the low-medium range. There are some good affordable choices out there.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    My university has free to use computers all over the campus 24/7. That being said it's rather inconvenient if you want to use those when you don't spend your whole life on campus.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can use a library or other school provided PC then save the money.
    A laptop will probably keep you glued to it instead of making connections with people that you need later in life.

College is not about grades but connections.
    Connections with your future employer or in laws

cutiebinkie likes this.
  15. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    You definitely need one here. Even before covid. Writing essays, assignments, thesis...

cutiebinkie likes this.
  16. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes:
    - IDK 'bout your country, but most unis in mine are still doing zoom/google meet classes due to Covid restrictions (they have considered doing f2f schools classes w/ 50% attendee, but seems it failed due lots of teachers & students got caught w/ the disease during trial run)
    - both to do your paper assignment, downloading your classes materials, searching sources/answers for your assignment, sending said assignments for scoring, class test & scanning (if needed) your papers & assignments
    - IDK your uni's courses, but some like engineering & architecture do need program like AutoCAD. Design courses might uses some others graphics programs (AutoCAD included). And needless to say for those into programing courses. Depends on your country's written law book, you also might need translator program (some old laws in my country are still written in Dutch)
    - if/when you need to works in group assignment, i/o bringing stacks of papers or books, just bring your laptop, flash disk and/or mobile harddisk that already filled w/ the necessary information for the said assignment. Convenient, right?

Just remember to install trusted anti virus program, keep it updated & let the laptop scan the flash disk/mobile harddisk before accessing it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    cutiebinkie and otaku31 like this.
  17. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, I do~ Well, not in class (I can take notes in my notebook, and I can do the homework on a public lab computer or my desktop at home).

But it's quite useful.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an absolute need, but it would definitely be more convenient to have a laptop. Having to wait in line to use the free computer lab is neither fun or efficient. You waste more time just waiting in line, and the computers they allow you to use are so ancient, you can't even run the recommended softwares you were supposed to use for your classes. With your own laptop at least, you don't have to share and can be more productive.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  19. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, while it might not have reached a level of needing one due to school libraries having computers for students to use, having one will definitely make things more convenient for you

cutiebinkie likes this.
  20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you want to hog a public computer for a whole day, you're definitely going to need a laptop since you need to type out your reports and assignments. In the past it used to be that you needed a typewriter but these days technology has improved to the point where you can't find typewriters any more.

And remember, if you want to hog a public terminal, what happens when it is closing time and you have not finished your assignment due tomorrow? Go home and handwrite it?

cutiebinkie likes this.