Commercial Space Travel is Stupid

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Jul 15, 2021.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Diameter is a problem. Because the larger the diameter, the more aerodynamic drag and more weight.

That graph doesn't merge china and SpaceX, you can see all of them pretty clearly in 2015. SpaceX is also on the bottom.

The graph also only covers COMMERCIAL launches. What that means is it doesn't cover if a government is doing its own launch, or SpaceX launching their own stuff. The purpose of the graph is to show who is winning when companies and countries have to bid on their launches, not delegate one to themselves by default.

It is not. Most of the station is again put up by the US, not Russia. I see no reason why US would need to send up a 2nd control unit when one is already there. The whole thing is a collaborative effort to begin with. (albeit Russia is behind on their commitments to the station)

Really? You are aware that SpaceX isn't the only one with small engines out there, name me who has better thrust to weight ratio?

SpaceX is not selling any seats to Mars. So not sure what you are talking about. The only mention of 100k per seat is their goal is to make getting to Mars "affordable" at they estimate 100k per seat. But they are not taking any reservations or anything.

SpaceX is also not on the stock market. So I am not sure what you are talking about there.

Again, when any car goes on the highway, they need to merge into the highway. Which requires acceleration fast enough, before the car from behind crashes into you. This goes quadruple for a semi truck.

No, you are totally confused. Again, Hyperloop and Boring company are 2 different things.

Blind skepticism and blind infatuation is the same thing you know right?

Objectivity is a noun that means a lack of bias, judgment, or prejudice. When all you do is look at the negatives and leak out malice, that isn't being objective at all.

Lastly, forget understanding science, you are literally ignoring common sense in your bias. (from not being able to read a basic bar graph, to not being able to differentiate between what Boring company is doing and the Hyperloop). All you are doing is blindly spouting talking points, not thinking for yourself. So again, how are you better?

Do you even know what a scam is? If Musk promised to launch things into space while taking, and never launched anything. That would be a scam. If Musk promised to release a car taking money and decades later, nothing was released, that would be a scam.

There is no scam here (at least not so far, who knows what the future will bring). Anyone who is objective, and not simply copy and pasting talking points fed into them would realize the meaning of the word doesn't line up.

As for my support of progress. I think you are confused on what progress is as well. Progress isn't created through invention, it is created through innovation. Many things we have today have been invented long long ago. Innovation is about taking those things and making use of them. It is the same issue where everyone gets too focused on breakthroughs that they don't realize that incremental improvements over time is what actually gets us there.

What Musk has done with SpaceX and Tesla has been tremendously positive for both industries. That doesn't mean that everything he does is correct (And I am well aware he is a jerk as a person). And again, unlike fanboys who want SpaceX and Tesla to own everything, I do not. I want to see more REAL competition. And I believe only if the market has true competition will we progress both faster and prevent stagnation.

Again, I am for progress. I don't care who gets us there. And I am not blind enough to not see both the good and the bad.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  2. lord95

lord95 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The new project has been started by the private company Blue Origin. To develop a fully reusable upper stage for New Glenn, which may potentially use stainless steel propellant tanks. ..." https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/07 ... -projects/ Interesting fact that the new project by Blue Origin is called ``Jarvis``

3. lord95

lord95 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some new pieces of news came from NASA. It is about to use Ingenuity, which has spent $ 80 million in development, to explore areas that a six-wheeled rover cannot reach, as well as to create 3D maps of the planet’s surface and solve other scientific problems. The purpose of the rover’s mission is to try to find traces of possible existence in the distant past of life on Mars.

4. lord95

lord95 Member

Reading List:
    Link