Recommendations Looking for hidden gems

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by evilwang, Jul 29, 2021.

1. evilwang

evilwang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tired of the conventional novels that dominate the recommendations front page. I don't want to see Reverend Insanity, ATG, LOTM, ISSTH, or any of that trash.

I've read all those popular novels and tired of the same writing structure that dominates each respective genre.

CN: Call off the marriage, trash becomes genius, MC face slaps young masters.
    It can also go this way, Lowly disciple in a sect gets a system/ old grandpa and steps on the path to immortality.

JP: Strong to weak, easy to manipulate, can't kill a fly, romance is bad and you wonder if writer ever been in a relationship.

KR: Power tripping lunatics, hands down the worst romance, full of themselves, character growth is nowhere to be found. Novels generally start good (LMS) but take a massive nosedive or the opposite. Korean writers have mastered the Dao of disappointment, but despite knowing that we stay till the end hoping author proves us wrong.

I'm here to collect hidden gems :giggle: drop your recommendations

ToastedRossi likes this.
  2. kuro106

kuro106 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really hidden but you won't find it here don't know why.
    Faraway Paladin, 5 volumes already translated.

TXHY likes this.
  3. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I quite enjoy “Trash of the Count’s Family” (KR, no romance, 500+ chapters ) and “Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint” (KR, little-no romance, 500+ chapters).

They might be too long for you, but it’s not a bad novel.

5. evilwang

evilwang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite interesting, worth another read.

Omniscient has quite a bit of the listed faults I am accusing the KR novels of having yet you recommend it to me? As for Trash of the Count's Family. I'll just give points for the honesty to the author for including the word TRASH on the title because that's all the novel is.
    MC wants to avoid death but keeps on looking for the most dangerous followers (assassins, a dragon, Choi Han)and getting in absurd situations. Can't refuse the king and is a boot licking dog.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    Ezro likes this.
  7. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you need to look into the completed section, you might find something there.
    There are a few interesting novels I have recently read in CN - The First Order and Spare me great lord (by the same author, interesting system, also loved the MC and other characters). A world worth protecting has a fat MC, and decent I guess, for a CN.

In KR, my favorite to date are some of the Toika novels - Everyone else is returnee, Stop! Friendly Fire and Never die extra(I find them as comedy gems, the harem can get annoying though). There is also Ending Maker and Emperor of Solo Play.

Finally in JP, I like the MC from Tsuki ga michibiku, although you will need to read quite a few chapters before you can realize that he ain't beta. Other good ones are Zero no Maria, Konjiki no moji, Irregular at magic high, Mushoku Tensei, Sevens, No Game No Life and my personal all time favorite, Oregairu(My rocom is snafu). They are not perfect, but each one has its charm. If I dig my memories, I might find a few more, but that's it for now.

8. TheLastAeon

TheLastAeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if this has novel, but manhwa Three Thousand Years To The Sky is good

9. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if this is hidden gems "The Villain Wants to Live" is really good only 15 chapters translated..
    I also don't like to read what you pointed out but this one manage to make me MTL the novel. xD

10. ForeLeave Clover

ForeLeave Clover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon Chain Ori - Spirit in the Heart
    Very plain, and while reading it you would think that there would be more novels like it, but it is surprisingly rare to find novels like this one. And while there is lack of plot twists, it’s very nice to read. The only issues that I see is the romance (what I see as romance) being shallow and MC being a coward (emotionally).

11. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Soul of Searing Steel - MC is a badass from the get go. There is a combination Sword/Magic and Cultivation system that is unique and the MC literally becomes a hunk of metal in order to fight better. A lot of good ideas in this novel and it is a shame it is not more well known.

12. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try the author’s other works as well, if you haven’t already.

TXHY likes this.
  14. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
  15. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure of your preferences, so maybe:
    Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
    Housekeeper of the Hundred Blossoms Palace
    Yumi-Ojisan
    The New Gate
    Shadow Hero's Everyday Life
    We Live in Dragon's Peak
    Isekai Izakaya Nobu (no updates on novel & manga translation, afraid they've gone MIA)
    Isekai Shokudou (anime S2 coming on Fall 2021)
    Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
    Cultivation Chat Group (Qidian/Webnonel, MC's definitely not the usual CHN novel's arrogant young master & you definitely gonna have lots of laughs reading the characters antiques)
    MC got assigned by the group's seniors to "babysit" an esteemed senior who just came out of closed door cultivation, but he need to go to his hometown
    Senior wanted to go w/ him, contacted the group admin to prepared them vehicle for the journey, got a parking building filled w/ all sort of possible cars from the cheapest to the most expensive supercars & luxurious ones
    Senior choice of vehicle? :D:D:D
    A hand tractor :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

These aren't hidden gems, but still worth watching if not reading:
    Youjo Senki
    BOFURI
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bonus marks for actually pointing out what you're trying to avoid!

For a Prosperous World
    This is a book about a character with immortality, but not immortality of many xianxia novels where she's able to join the special club of the super elite. Instead it's immortality in the sense of being able to live for centuries in world where everyone else dies of old age.

evilwang likes this.
  17. Fleighfire

Fleighfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. HafidzM

HafidzM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Archean Eon Art and The First Order, the novels are really good. Trust me!!

19. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Mercenary Group of the Demon Lord Army’s Former Dragon Knight, if u want good jp without flaws mentioned above.

Possessing nothing is very good kr novel as long as u can wait for the character growth

20. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.paultwister.com/

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28687/the-last-science-se?

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21374/epilogue/chapter/303113/chapter-1-matt

Try read first ten chapters, if you thought them good then continue if not then stop