Tricks Chinese Content Creators Use to Bypass Censorship

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is amusing watching dramas trying to skirt censorship rules.
    Especially in harem, which is essentially dead as a genre thanks to censorship.
    Reverse harem is allowed to thrive for some reason.

The Myth 2010 had every female love interest die lol. That was a brutal way to do it.

My Heroic Husband 2021, has a less brutal way: the male lead basically marries and divorces repeatedly.
    It was quite amusing.
    Have you noticed any tricks used to skirt censorship?

@Lissi @lnv @ToastedRossi

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what I'm doing here.... *lurks*

FIEND likes this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing that came to my mind is just the "grass mud horse"

FIEND and UndyingSLIME10295 like this.
  4. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Have the dubbing censor-friendly and let the audience lip-read the actual lines...

rhianirory likes this.
  5. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    A silent film but Chinese drama version? :eek:

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Sound of the Desert" takes the cake in terms of bypassing censorship. It started out life as a straight adaptation of Tong Hua's "Ballad of the Desert", but it sure deviated from that. Originally, the production company finished the show and submitted it to SARFT and SARFT refused to let it air as is until changes were made. So what did they end up changing? Outside of the plot, everything. They changed the names of all the characters, the name of the country, the title of the show, and the show's dialogue was completely redubbed. Bear in mind that this is well after the show was filmed so they must have put in a huge amount of work.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot more stories then dramas that tries to bypass the censorships to greater or lesser degree's.
    For instance Emperor’s Domination which is not a drama but while it is a full on martial arts story instead of a drama it does include a big harem and the MC will quite often rape or sleep with women it just all happens off screen.

Like how in one part of the story he meets up with a woman who I believe has a fiance already but she's being full on confrotational with the MC and eventually loses a fight/bet with the MC so he I believe he takes her back to his place and then the story just jumps to the next day and she starts acting like a maid to the MC doing anything he tells her to and then even tells her fiance it's all to late now when he asks her to get back with him.

Again nothing was outright said but then the author went and wrote comments like "you know they did the "thing"". Heavily implying that the MC either somehow managed to seduce and sleep with her in a night or much more feasable raped her. Then with the chinese thinking, especially in the old times, that a woman has to become a wife/concubine with the man who takes their purity and then become their faithful servants pretty much.

Overall the story is filled with stuff like this happening all over the story but again cause nothing outright is written and all that stuff happens outside of the written story it's all okey and the censorship hammer can't touch it.

To sum it up the story is aimed at 13+ I believe so it can't include any form of nudity or sexual stuff at all which the author is bypassing by simply jumping over those parts and then have the characters behave like it's already happened while he heavily hints at it to his readers with his comments on the site he publishes his work on.

8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    xDD The actors say the lines from the script and the dubbing team read the lines from the revised script. So lip-readers can see the difference when the camera zooms on the actors' faces.

Wujigege and MasterCuddler like this.
  9. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    There are no age categories on Chinese TV, and I don't think there are any for film either. So everything that airs has to be appropriate for all ages. Also, the censorship has gotten a lot more restrictive and there's a ton of material that came out 10 years ago that wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

10. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course you can't age restrict a tv show, what I was talking about was a webnovel thats on here. While I don't have a good idea of the chinese censorship I do believe that it has gotten stricter as well. Which to me who reads a lot of chinese novels have noticed in when the novels were put out. Like for instance Tales of a Reincarnated Lord that ran from 2015-2017 got axed because of the censorship laws gettin more strict and the author refusing to tone it down since he didn't think it would make sense or be as realistic since he was going with the whole the nobility is mostly corrupt and they do big orgies and spend money.

So he wanted to write about those parts as well which was not okey and it got axed. Also because of how it works with the authors selling the ownership or their stories to the sites. The author lost the right to continue it anywhere else.

All in all I'd say that the censorship got more restrictive at around 2017-2018 probably because the censorship law got revised or something.

11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I, uh, don't watch C-dramas... so not my style >.<
    Gosh, the drama

But yeah, Meteor Garden's thriving, isn't it? XDDD

12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha explains why Chinese in the diaspora are so pissed off by dubbing
    Especially when the lips and sound say completely different things
    I watched a lot of Hindi movies with a lot of dubbing and didn't find it odd
    Maybe it is because I don't know the source language
    @Indiboy @MangoGuy

Indiboy likes this.
  13. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how familiar you are with the way Chinese film and TV production works, but a ton of works are dubbed, and it has nothing to do with censorship. What happens is that all shows have dialogue in Beijing-accented Mandarin, but the actors are from all over China or are from other territories. So what the productions do is throw out all the recorded audio and have all the dialogue dubbed in a studio. There are some actors who speak the proper Beijing accent so they dub for themselves, but everyone else is voiced by a voice actor.

The rule of thumb is that some shows set in the modern era will use the on-set dialogue, but because period works tend to shoot in Hengdian, they automatically get dubbed. Also, I know for sure that Cantonese don't bother saying their lines in Mandarin and it's probably the same for the other dialects.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am aware of that.
    My point is that I never so similar backlash with Hindi movies.
    If I recall correctly, Katrina Kaif who is British of Pakistani descent only spoke English and became a big star using a dubbed voice.

I did recall a South Korean actress : Moon Chaewon getting a lot of flak for Princess Man in 2011 because her accent didn't fit the ancient setting.

I felt dubbing with a professional might have prevented that.

Then again this was in the early 2000s, maybe the news was not as accessible in the case of Katrina Kaif

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  15. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese voice actors are professionals. Not only that, but the bigger actors will constantly get assigned the same voice actor; thereby building consistency between roles. See I don't know how how dubbing over voices is regarded in China and among the diaspora, but if there is a discrepancy between the two groups then I imagine that the latter are just more used to live recording.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    They could just be elitists whining on reviews.
    The same way anime community have groups that are against dubbed anime by principle

17. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly fuck harems. So I’m glad it’s dead,
    But other things like speaking against government,,, like my poor bbaby reverend insanity

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Live action harems are not the same as the crap on novels.

I recommend Man Comes To Tang Dynasty.

That the female characters are played by actual women helps.

The so called female characters in novels are just dudes in drag

19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Married then divorced repeatedly? What about alimony?

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    He actually got alimony.

He married the first wife to pay his debt.
    He was a matrilocal husband. She needed to be married to inherit her family business but needed to keep the family name.

Never heard that word before, I thought it was a matriarchal society but it wasn't