The Mitochondrial Eve

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gandire Alea, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> So you're saying the sperm contains mitochondrial dna? Give source or reference of where you got this information.

2. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Explain why it couldn’t??

3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure but that negates the title you gave it, in fact even by going by the old theory that it comes only from mothers, the way you explained it attaching the term Eve to it simply just gives it a biblical origin, alas implicitly saying that the origin is Adam meaning your title should be "The Mitochondrial Adam" XD

4. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you talking about? I am not the one who created that title, I am just using it and explaining it. Just cause it occasionally gets passed down from men doesn’t change much of anything. Adam is the name attached to the y chromosome.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  5. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the first time I hear it tbh, sorry for thinking it was you who came with it then, but for all its worth let me explain why that title for the theory is nonesense at least to me, originally speaking of the word Adam comes from the abrahamic faith as being the first human created alas a male, the second human made was a female (named Eve) who was made from Adam's rib, so that title is implicitly mocking (in a sense) the theory in itself

6. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want the source. From what I gathered when I went Biology Class and from my textbook and the powerpoints we went through.... maybe they didn't explain everything and just gave general information. But the Mitochondria is already found in egg, as the egg provides everything else while the sperm only provides the Nuclear DNA. Unless you're saying there's mitochondria in the sperm and that they are destroyed when they enter or fertilize the egg.

And if Mitochondrial DNA were to be passed on from the father all I could think about that this is a bizarre case. Maybe of incest or something else; like a mutation within a person's DNA.

From what I gathered from which is basically the same 3 year old article, this biparental inheritance thing is really a result of defect in the process of actively eliminating paternal dna. It still passes on through the mom though. She just had two sets of mitochondrial dna.

Sources
    From reading and somewhat skimming them, they practically spell out the same picture...
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/fathers-can-pass-mitochondrial-dna-to-children-65165
    https://www.livescience.com/64172-mitochondrial-dna-dads.html
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-dna-contrary-long-standing-belief-180970940/
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/dads-mitochondrial-dna/

7. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading the whole thing I wrote again?? It’s more a series of coincidences that lead to one mitocondria being shared world wide than anything else. Because it is something universal and can theoretically be traced back to one woman, it become called Eve.

This is more a theory than fact. From what I understood, the mitochondria in the sperm degrades and dies.

8. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not against the definition or what kind of conclusion it led to XD
    Theories are theories by definition they are mere speculation enforced by logic and/or experiments, till they become undeniable facts they shouldn't be assumed to be the truth, of course there are those who would disagree and work with the theory as long as it provides a certain degree of certainty till it is proved or disapproved.
    My point is that, the naming for a theory that should trace back the whole phenomena to one woman is implicitly leading to a man rather than just the woman, whoever came with that term or title for the theory is an idiot XD

9. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming I understand what you are trying to say, Eve biblically came from Adam, so humanity can be said to be traced from one source. That said, biblically speaking, humanity is said to be from the union of the two. While Eve did come from Adam, that doesn’t degrade her status as “mother” to mankind

10. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    True and Adam is "father" to mankind XD
    The union of the two also can be called as "marriage" XD was the reason why mankind is born and not created from the rest of his bones XD, otherwise probably there will other theories as : The Mitochondrial Eve, The Mitochondrial of Lilith, The Mitochondrial of whoever else female you want, etc... XD
    Fyi, Adam was called the son of god in the bible so pretty much (if you want to rely on biblical sources) then Adam is the single origin of humanity XD
    Point is, using that name is implicitly throwing the whole explanation under the bus and saying whatever turns true goes XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2021
    Gandire Alea likes this.
  11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where is the Mitochondrial Adam?

12. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s called Y-chromosome Adam

13. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mitochondria...

Eve...

Parasite Eve :aww:

I'm sorry, I can't help it. :blobpeek:

14. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing to consider is that the mitochondrial theory state the the mitochondria existence predates the existence of all animal/human. It was in a symbiote relation with another cell, similar to the deep-sea angler fish, after millions of year's it fused with host cell.

15. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Along with some other organelles

16. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. It's fascinating how we evolve in the future as we don't have to rely heavily on natural evolution any longer.