Discussion Would you rather have all elements or resistance to all elements?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bad Storm, Aug 2, 2021.

?

Skill or resistance?

1. Yes

28.9%
  2. Skill

37.8%
  3. Resistance

24.4%
  4. i don't need resistance for i have gone numb of everything

4.4%
  5. I like to be a normal person, thank you

4.4%
  1. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I want all elements because there are a lot more that can be done with it. I might even be able to mimic the resistance by forming armor made out of element or sth. just elemental resistance also wouldn't really stop danger, a tsunami might just happen and while you are immune to the water, you wouldn't be immune of being pushed off by it and colliding into a wall or something and die. Meanwhile, having all elements mean there are a lot more that can be done. Maybe by controlling the water, flying into the sky, or maybe forming a wall.

2. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go with all element.

Because resistance, is just resistance, not nullification..

And also, unlike nullification, resistance can be trained the more you are exposed to something.
    For example, people that live in cold region have cold resistance, and people that live in hot region have heat resistance. Its not because they're born with it, its because they grew being exposed to it, and so they got the resistance to the cold or heat.

Resistance is in essence, is just immunity. Being resistance to heat doesn't means you can't be burned, being resistance to cold doesn't means you are completely immune to frostbite.

Hence, i think the best choice is being a jack of all element would be good, and by being able to use all element, you can also train your element and build your resistance at the same time, by practicing the element you use on your own body.

Tinty89 likes this.
  3. Tinty89

Tinty89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I want to pick Resistance, because it's a passive.... Going to have to pick Skills, especially if it's modern day.

Reason being, it'd help more; even if you don't go big, you'll be able to cut costs, and improve your lifestyle better than with Resistances.

4. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends... if it's a world of magic, definitely skill since it would be more useful. Normal people and people without power die early there. If it's our current world, then resistance because our modern life revolves around money and identity.

Just imagine not needing many clothes for different seasons and outdoor activities. Just imagine not needing a heater or cooler to deal with the heat or lack of it.

It is less worrying to work in a lab with various dangerous chemicals and fumes too.

Being noted for having extraordinary power doesn't make one life better but more noisy and annoying especially with paparazzi around. Honestly, if I have the skills, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to hold myself from swatting those people into 6 feet under had they bother me too much.

So, yeah, having the resistance would be more useful and easier to stay anonymous here.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Having access to all elements would probably be more practical... Like... I dunno, using water to refill your water bottle and the like.

I don't think resistance would be that useful in day to day life, so... >.>

6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Resistance~ I think my love for close-combat is only limited to games, getting hit with a fireball looks like it'd hurt >.<

I want to stay safe above everything else!!

7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Would go with active control of elements.
    Resistances in this context pretty much always seem like oversimplified RPG stats, so it would pretty much rub me the wrong way if they were reality.

8. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    My decision between "Elemental Powers" and "Element Resistance", or "Status Infliction" and "Status Resistance", or a mix of the four, really depends on the world I'm in, and how everything works.

With Elemental Powers/Resistance alone, I want to know how the powers work, and if having all element resistance would prevent me from learning one or more of the elemental powers. Alternatively, would having all elemental powers prevent me from having any elemental resistance? Even ignoring that, how would the resistance affect my ability to feel what's happening to me, or how the world affects me? For example, fire resistance could make me more resilient to hot temperatures, while ice resistance could make more more resilient to cold temperatures. Or fire and ice resistance's could have no effect on how I cope with natural temperature changes, and only affect magically affected temperature. The first means that I'm more comfortable in a wider variety of situations, while the second means that I can't get the benefits of magical air conditioning and heating, even if everybody else can. On the other hand, if gaining all element resistance means giving up learning any of the elemental powers, or it only really being useful to mean that you feel less (resistance, not immunity) pain when you're set on fire or hit with a rock, at the cost of being able to use elemental powers to raise walls of earth & ice to stop you from being set on fire in the first place, it's not really worth it.

Looking at Status Infliction/Resistance alone, this is complicated in a different way. Most "Status Effects" in video games are an attempt to simulate something possible in real life in a more simplified manner, with an easy solution. Poison is the easy and obvious example (so many different ways to poison people, some fast and some slow), while Paralysis in games is typically that something's messed up your body and it either wont respond temporarily, or won't operate as well. While inflicting video-game style status effects on others is useful in combat settings, it's only really potentially beneficial to daily life if you can reverse them into "buffs", or they're some sort of trade-off effect (eg. Turtle Form: Def. Up for Spd Down; Bull Form: Str. Up for Mag. Down). Status Resistance, however, is more useful to someone just living their life. High cholesterol could be considered a poison, as could actual poison, so resisting the negative effects of an unhealthy lifestyle or attempted assassination can become easier. Confusion and Charm powers would likely be abused as far as they could in a business setting, and paralysis resistance could have benefits to maintaining your body. The only possible downside is that all "Status Resistance" could, in a realistic setting, give resistance to Status Buffing Effects just as much as Status Decreasing Effects, causing things like Heal Over Time, Strength Increase, Magical Power Increase, and other buffs that most normally receive to have a lessened effectiveness on you.

Finally, in a setting with all four (Elemental Power/Resistance & Status Infliction/Resistance), it becomes trickier, and I would honestly want a bit of all four. Particularly if to reach the highest heights of a skill you need both it and resistance to it. But I would need more details about the setting and how everything fits together to actually even attempt to answer what I would specifically want for this one.

9. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    Active desu~! though if it was Maple-chan she'd choose resistance lol

10. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Resistance I am not a masochist I want to be a tank that can punch people at the face and be completely safe

Sti_les likes this.
  11. Sti_les

Sti_les Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having all elements. About resistance, I'll make do with my skills. If you don't get hit, the damage won't be delivered. If your attacks are huge, the enemy won't have chance to hit back. ^^

Lol. Like your description very much!