Discussion Are Chinese and Korean Authors/Translators at risk of being canceled by SJWs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hothotpot, Aug 3, 2021.

1. hothotpot

hothotpot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Introduction:
    In Western standards, "whitewashing" means a character is turned from other races to Caucasian or tan skinned to pale skinned. "Blackwashing", according to some people, it simply doesn't exist in their standards since "whitewashing" is a more "prevalent problem" to them because of history. Simply using the term "White" triggers some sensitive people on Twitter. Misusing the term "Black" also triggers them. Even now "fat", "exotic", "tan" are racist terms according to them as they cry on Twitter about it.

However, Chinese and Korean novels/manhua/manhwa industry has started to use the term "Whitewashing" as in "cleaning one's stained reputation to pure white" and "Blackening" as in a Villain or Protagonist has started to turn towards illegal acts like mass murder or destroying the national economy with a sneeze. Black market is also often the theme of mystery/crime novels on mafia and police.

Potential Problem:
    These angry mobs may also attract unwanted trolls to join the train to flame on translators and authors (run into official page to attack authors using Google Translate and English). It may even affect your favorite series' author motivation from continuing their series. Not only that, it will come to light that some of us read fan translations translated without the author's consent to publish and many novels may be taken down due to Piracy and Copyright issues. The East Asian countries might even ban foreign IPs from accessing their official website of online novels/manga/manhwa/manhua

What do you all think?

(i'm also testing on how to post a thread)

Lissi and otaku31 like this.
  2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there's too much of a risk of being cancelled from translating something. I've been considering translating sometime very yabai to see if anyone cares, so I'll get back to you then.

aShinyVaporeon, otaku31 and hothotpot like this.
  3. hothotpot

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I was just curiously asking a what if scenario

Good luck in translating (ง •̀ω•́)ง✧ I hope those aggregator bots stealing translations will get confused copying your translation because if they copy it's garbled

I also want to translate something but I'm too lazy to do so

4. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the term “whitewashing” originated from the practice of painting walls white using lime. Then it Naturally transitioned to mean clearing away sin and then to mean placing a Caucasian into the role of another race. But I could be wrong. Point is those sjw need to be extremely bored to go cancel a random novel from another culture...

asriu, Wujigege and hothotpot like this.
  5. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh,
    Isnt attacking another countries language and culture completely opposite of what sjw stand for?

Wing0, aShinyVaporeon and hothotpot like this.
  6. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations on your first thread! :blobparty:

I wouldn't worry to much about that because it would come down to cultural differences. I'm not saying no one would get offended but the majority of people wouldn't care.

An example of this is the korean word Niga / 니가, some people got offended but it literally means you (informally).

I read BL so I get trolls already but they are ignored. I honestly think there are other issues that would trigger people, patriotic works, rape culture and mpreg.
    The publishers are very aware of piracy they don't like it. They put in effort to stop it but there is simply to much for them to take everything down. That is why I buy the raws if I like the novel.

aShinyVaporeon, Vanidor and hothotpot like this.
  7. hothotpot

Reading List:
    Link
    But they feel entitled to shove western political values to asians
    Slightly tan becomes blackfacing, to them ganguro fanshion trend is also racist, cosplaying fictional character and paint skin a bit (not too dark) and they go bonkers

8. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asian has nothing to do with the enslavement of the black people, at least none that I'm aware of, so they can use the same word without too much to worry about.

Random.poet and hothotpot like this.
  9. hothotpot

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes, thank you ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ
    I agree with you
    I wish I could also buy the raws but currently I have no way to pay internationally on websites except webtoon and webnovel apps, google pay fixes it( ꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ)
    Thank you for your effort to buy the raws too

IceLight303 likes this.
  10. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you,
    Tho, we cant forget about the fact that some asian authors use racist remarks, and are very patriotic to the point of making readers roll their eyes.
    So... imo, it totaly depends on the content.

hothotpot likes this.
  11. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    We'll burn cross that bridge.
    Surely with some basic baidu + google translate, people will figure it out.

hothotpot likes this.
  12. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I think actually using the words whitewashing and blackening is a bad translation. It borrows the literal meaning of the words and uses them as translation instead of translating the meaning in English terms. Though I know the reason is that it's hard finding nice literary translations for a lot of words. That said, SJW's don't have a say in other nations' vocabulary. Even so, they still do shit like this: https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ended-saying-chinese-word-sounds-english-slur .People in authority positions should really listen to them a little less and use their common sense instead of always appeasing the rabid mob. Then again, people in authority positions don't appear out of nowhere, and the chance they're also SJW is probable enough. Haha, with this kind of soft and sensitive attitude, China is set to world domination, just wait. We're all fucked.

aShinyVaporeon and hothotpot like this.
  13. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whitewashing is a horrible practice. Same goes with any "washing" when used racially.

hothotpot likes this.
  14. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Should be fine... Twitter can go crazy by itself, but as long as most other people don't support them I think it's fine~

hothotpot likes this.
  15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no clue what you just said, but I doubt it'll be an issue. Most don't go to foreign websites to begin with.

Hypocrisy is a thing...

Yeah... tell that to common sense-chan... unfortunately, people love to come up with all kinds of weird logic related or not... you use it all the time.

hothotpot likes this.
  16. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Outside of twitter, where trolls and 12 year olds(some of which are also trolls) argue, do you think anyone cares? There's a lot more people faking SJW reactions than actual SJW reactions, for example reddit's Tumblr In Action is mostly faked or blowing up people with 5 viewers.

I expect actual SJW's would be actually off put by how many rapes happen in so many novels than anything else.

Novelfanman1, Wujigege and hothotpot like this.
  17. hothotpot

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh (。☉౪ ⊙。) I didn't know that about Tumblr in action since reddit is banned in my country

So from your reply, I know now there are many unreasonable people wanting favor and attention on their side so much they made normal SJWs look bad.

It's just as you say about twitter, there is also tiktok having toxic children. In the post, I mean a what if scenario they decided to go to Twitter and cry about it since those kinds of people are the noisiest

:sweating_profusely: now I feel bad for normal SJWs having pig teammates like that

Vanidor likes this.
  18. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more than just SJWs having pig teammates, you see it across all spectrums. I've seen articles about some radical opinion then went and looked at the likes on the tweet or whatever and the person has 5 likes.

hothotpot likes this.
  19. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slightly off topic but still in line with, there was a case (around a year ago?) in the US where a university professor said 那个(nèige/nàge, it basically just means 'that') and stepped down since some people took offense over it. I remember reading that Github also no longer uses the terms whitelist and blacklist 'cuz of race reasons. Erm, they imply that 'white' is good and 'black' is bad, and that's why they had to go. Seems a bit of a backward move to me, but I guess I don't know much about the topic. So, no. It's actually not completely unheard of for this to leak into real life.

About the professor's case: there more are intricacies involved with it, but the professor brought it up as an example of a filler word and said it a few times in class. A few students contacted his superiors claiming that he intentionally mispronounced it to sound like the n-word and caused them mental damages. In the end the incident blew up and the professor stepped down on his own (actually, he might of just taken a break or something--I forget). I've already checked his pronunciation, and it seems very in line with plenty of others', it's fairly accurate. My theory is that the students who complained learned a different dialect of Chinese.

Random.poet and hothotpot like this.
  20. hothotpot

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, ludagad up there posted the link to that case
    https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ended-saying-chinese-word-sounds-english-slur

Some people get offended by similar pronounciations of different languages, Japanese words for example, "進む"(susumu = = move on) and Indonesian word "susumu" (your milk), girls will probably give a big slap for sexual harassment :sweating_profusely:

Also, i think not far in the future, western people can't casually call black paint black or else
    "omg u r blackpainting, that's so racist using my skin color for art omg, i will record this and post to twitter so my twitter friends can doxx u" :blobsmilehappyeyes: a little amusing although it is terrible for your language to be limited

aShinyVaporeon likes this.