LCD Apocalypse Lord

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Jul 28, 2021.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Series link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/apocalypse-lord/
    C1: "She had set up herself as a tank, primarily adding points to her MP, and had super high defense." What kind of tank focuses on raising MP? Do monsters mainly damage MP instead of HP for some strange reason?

"She did not know what surprises the game would bring players after the public beta." If it was a public beta, then why did she need to be invited?

Personally, I'd be suspicious that I'd been trapped in a game rather than thinking the apocalypse had come or whatever. Though, that would only be if game graphics had reached the level of being indistinguishable from reality.

C2: It feels more than a little selfish for her to not have directed people into her camp to survive the moment she saw her capacity of 200. I wonder how many people died around her that she could easily have saved.

C3: "Legendary equipment and S-rank skills shone with orange light." Wasn't Legendary purple in chapter 1?

"she would turn and run without a word!" Sounds like a good way to die vs a skilled archer.

Why would she drop off her weapon before heading to her house to grab her stuff?

C4: "Will you spend 5 copper coins to become a temporary resident of this territory?" I wonder if she set the rates, or if the System did. If the former, then she's even more of a sociopath than I already thought she was.

"I can’t tell if 3 copper coins is price-gouging or not." Its definitely price gouging. They were three minutes away from completely free water and food, and the drop rates for coinage are quite low.

C5: "Equip Effect: Each time you kill a monster, you get 2 copper coins, and restore 5 HP." Considering the drop rates for coins, how is this not a legendary item?

"He calculated what kind of dinner he could trade for." Seriously? All that fighting and he didn't manage to find a single store or restaurant with food in it?

Ah, well if people have to pay to stay the night, then she feels like less of a sociopath for not encouraging people to hide there. Still, she should have advertised the place to people while telling them about the cards. She could have made several times the amount that she did and saved God only knows how many lives. If nothing else, she should have warned people about getting kicked out before night fell so that they had time to go out and earn money while it was relatively safer.

Honestly, it feels like it would be better to add the 85 coins to her own coins to instantly buy a restaurant or something. She's definitely got enough for it right now, and if people see that their money is causing the campsite to grow and evolve into a more hospitable place, then they may be less inclined to leave and seek safety elsewhere. Even if not, it would open up a new source of income for her.

C6: I wonder how much killing she did that she actually has 135 coins left even after her buying spree.

"Congratulations, Player, for being the first to make your own equipment." Were there no other players that survived the beta and kept their life skills? Or was this just due to the abysmal drop rates?

How is she so low level? She had to have earned like 50 copper on her own, before acquiring the economic item, while fighting mobs with low drop rates. Heck, even if they all gave her one coin on average, her xp should still be higher than 67. As I recall, the goblins were giving her 2 xp each.

That aside, players will be stupendously OP compared to normal people in fairly short order if they're getting 3 pts/level.

"Yun Ling maintained her past style in games, and added the attribute points all to her stamina." That directly contradicts chapter 1, and is also a pretty stupid strategy considering that this is no longer a game.

"That was a recovery item, and does not count as equipment." Shouldn't she be thinking that maybe that means it has its own "first" reward?

Why does no one consider putting up a sign to let people know that the campsite is there and that its safe if you have 5 copper? Sure, it might be hard to make such a sign, but they're not even considering trying.

So, can players not man the stores?

What happens if she doesn't have enough money to pay people for their mats? She only has 35 coins left. If everyone brings three items, that'll be far more than she can pay for, but still less than the maximum of the quest.

C7: "After tidying up, she put it in the linen backpack" So, a completely full bag only counts as a single inventory slot? Sounds like she should just get the biggest container she can find and stuff it full before tossing it into her backpack. She'll be a walking warehouse.

C8: How can she afford to hire John? Did she kill a bunch of goblins and we weren't told? And I mean a massive number of them since she also needs enough money to pay for the Mission Hall's missions?

It feels like kind of a waste to develop her NPC as a front-line tank.

Sounds like she should prioritize farmers and the like in the future.

C10: "She picked out the instant noodles, water, and milk to put into her linen backpack." Why not just put in the shopping cart? She has a strength of 9 with her equipment, so she should be able to lift a shopping cart without too much trouble, and it should count as a single item.

So, does Lu Chuan (very reasonably) not believe her about her status in her camp? If not, then why does he instantly abandon his own camp to join hers instead of comparing the two and suggesting that they both go to the more developed one?

C11: "The players had started to do missions?" She wasn't getting notifications of this? How were the missions paid for then?

C12: "Uncle NPC, the store equipment is too expensive!!”" Seriously. At those prices, anyone who could pay them wouldn't need such crappy equipment.

C13: Why does the quiver only have a 30% chance of a special arrow when a lower ranked quiver had a 35% chance?

C14: “During the beta, the monsters were put in place at once. The game officially opened, and is transforming the game in stages. What other changes will occur in the future?” Then how did she know that the next wave of monsters would come after two days? She even warned that restaurant owner and his family about it.

I wonder why no one ever notices that new NPC's only appear while the MC is in the Mission Hall.

I'm curious what the requirement to expand the population cap is. It doesn't sound like its as simple as hitting the cap after filling all the building slots. Maybe its related to permanent residents?

C15: "[Existing Residents: 147 (Temporary Residents 142)]" Lu Chuan still hasn't bought permanent residency? Weird.

C16: "[Existing Residents: 195 (Temporary Residents 190)]" Seriously, why hasn't Lu Chuan become a permanent resident yet? Also curious what she plans to do about hiring NPCs if she runs out of resident slots. Let real people die?

C17: "Guard A was level 1, had Strength 2, and Stamina 1" So, he could be beaten to death by a toddler?

“In a while, come with me to pick equipment and skills." Are people already selling skills? Considering how rare they're supposed to be, I would think people would still be using everything that they find.

Isn't it generally a very, very bad idea to tell people your stats and skills?

C19: Since when is food equipment? Do they wear the soup as a hat instead of eating it?

C20: I wonder why she didn't make Guard A a backpack before they went on this expedition. That would have been four more slots to work with.

C22: "the arrows from a purple quiver had a 20% chance of having a special effect on it." I could swear this was 35% in chapter 1.

I wonder why she didn't want either of the skill cards. Even if she didn't want to pollute her list with them, they'd be useful for her NPCs.

C23: "Also, I think there is a proper term other than “blood sucking,” but I have no idea what it is." Assuming it absorbs HP with each hit, then Drain, Drain HP, Absorb HP, and Vampiric Attacks could all work.

C25: Honestly, it sounds a bit weak for an S rank skill. Maybe if it recovered 1 HP per second, but at 5/min, it's just too slow to do much in battle. Its far, far weaker than the archer's S rank self-healing skill.

C26: "Priest A was standing by, prepared to cast healing at any moment." Did they bring both priests, or is this a typo?

"Special Effect: -20% damage received." There is such a massive difference between blue and white shields.

“Now, I am a blood tank!” Not really. You're recovery rate is far too slow for that. If you can recover half you max HP in 1-2 seconds, then you're still a long way off.

C27: "As Yun Ling thought this, she set the upper limit of the collection missions to thirty times." They were already at 30...

I absolutely disagree with her bonus choice. The life skills xp bonus was definitely worth more to everyone than the 50 HP in the long run. Increased combat xp vs increased natural healing is a bit less clear cut though. I could easily see the argument going either way. Though, yes, in the short term, her choices were correct.

She gained 800 resident slots, but only 3 building slots? That feels a bit off, especially since it was supposed to only be 2. Maybe its because its only referring to unique buildings and you can make as many duplicates as you want?

C29: "Grandfather, I will not go hunting anymore, I will stay and learn to weave straw sandals from you.” That's probably not a good idea. There's only so much demand for noob gear after all, especially once people stop valuing white drops. Unless you can weave aesthetically pleasing sandals that also grant decent stats, demand will vanish in the not too distant future.

"But at that thought, she likely would be hiring intermediate woodworking/sewing NPCs and advanced woodworking/sewing NPCs to create high level equipment." If she can find them. There's no guarantee that she ever will if we ignore plot armor.

Its too bad that the walls don't benefit from the enhanced HP recovery bonus of the territory.

C30: "She threw the linen backpack to Guard B, and she was wearing the new cotton backpack she had made. " I really don't understand why she still hasn't made backpacks for all of her NPC teammates. Its like burning money to leave all that loot lying on the ground when she could have brought it back.

Considering that she's a pure tank, I would have thought that she'd have taken Taunt for herself rather than giving it to the much weaker Guard B.

Durability will definitely suck for her considering how she likes to fight. Well, if we ignore plot armor.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Master Saitama says Shorten it to twenty words or less...

3. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “A level 2 warehouse could hold more materials, and increase shelf life of food. It should be a good choice to pick this?" Personally, I'd consider it the lowest priority if she's not actually starting to run out of space.

"At the start of the game, he had been doing an overnighter with his dormmate at an internet cafe." Didn't the game start at noon?

"Thinking of how many players surrounded and watched his grandfather during dusk, unable to be stopped" So, why not buy a tent and do the crafting inside of it? Also, why not make straw hats? I'm sure they count as equipment too, but are likely harder to make, and thus, less likely to be copied.

I wonder if NPC's skills can increase, or if she just has to hire new NPCs.

She really should be trying to get people to advertise the village, and form rescue parties and whatnot to increase the village's population. Whatever the upgrade requirements are, maxing out the population is almost certainly one of them. If she can get up to the next level of town before the tutorial period is over, then she can buy a Blacksmith, a wider variety of defensive buildings, or whatever she thinks is needed to better secure the town so it doesn't get wiped away when the monsters are finally allowed to invade.

4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why none of the fighter groups that are less enthusiastic about fighting are selling their services to life players as guards. Its a good, relatively safe way for them to make a living, and they shouldn't lack for clients so long as they don't develop a bad reputation.

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    A Chinese apocalypse novel with less than a hundred chapters? Impossible!

6. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are quite a few apocalypse novels where the main focus is become the new emperor of the world. In fact, it is rare the focus is away from to enslaveing or controling everyone else under the MC.

A Chinese novel that is not focused on recreating a new Emperor is good thing to me. Maybe people should have their ideas and not constantly controlled from above.

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    She doesn't need to rule over them as an empress. Expanding the village helps everyone, even if she never does anything to control anyone.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    "they were clearly not good people." In what way? They could easily be chasing a thief or a murderer after all.

Why did he backstab her while surrounded by six other people? Did he somehow believe that he could kill all seven of them? Or that he could somehow manage to run away after killing her?

[Yun – hoarding fanatic – Ling had a heated gaze. “I will never mind too many materials.”] lol.

It feels strange that the other cities aren't further behind hers, especially locally. Globally, it can be explained by other players with lord tokens, but locally, it should all be NPC run territories, which sounded like they grew in a less than optimal way.

"Was the system pointing out the safe areas for the players to motivate them to migrate?" Honestly, it sounds more like its encouraging war between them. That said, I wonder how many people will try to migrate to Rising Cloud Camp, and how hard it'll be for the current residents to maintain their residency. I doubt most of them have bought permanent status yet after all.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
  10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “A passive skill ‘Self Healing’, recover 10% of HP. Cooldown 2 minutes.” Passive skills don't have cooldowns unless they have triggers...

Wouldn't it be hard to fight with an umbrella in your hand? I mean, sure, the mages could probably do it, but I doubt it would work for anyone else. At most, they could use it to protect themselves between battles.

[“10…” Liang Hui instinctively quoted.] I'm not sure why he's keeping this pig teammate around anymore.

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    10 copper and two meals isn't exactly helping people so much as its exploiting them. If she let them keep half of what they foraged on top of the rest, that would be helping them. As it is, it'll take them months to have any hope of buying permanent citizenship, and that's for the ones who aren't supporting anyone else.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, it feels like the author wants us to think of the MC as a saintess, and the people who don't do exactly what she wants them to do as evil. Sure, the person who stole the hat was very much in the wrong and got basically the only punishment she could get. The one who didn't think the distribution of goods was fair though, wasn't nearly so far in the wrong. Its not like they could have negotiated a fair deal with her. She told them to accept slave wages or die, and then indirectly killed them when they refused. That's not being a saintess.

If she really wanted to help them via capitalism, then she should have just offered to buy whatever they foraged at market rates, provide food at market rates, and protection + rain gear rentals for a set fee. The lazy would be expelled by being unable to pay the fees. The thief would be expelled for stealing. Everyone else would earn as much as they were willing or able to earn and rise or fall with their own efforts. She would lose nothing as she'd still get all the loot from killing stuff plus whatever she and her NPC's were able to forage, plus whatever she bought off of the other foragers. The village would get stronger due to the hardworking people getting richer faster, and she would be the ultimate beneficiary.

There are many other models, but basically, they would all allow the foragers far more freedom and room to prosper, while removing the MC's absolute control over their lives and deaths, so obviously, they were unacceptable. Honestly, it feels like I'm reading a story about a sociopathic villain, but the author doesn't realize that's what they're writing. I can't really root for someone who doesn't see other people as people, so I think I'll just stop here.