Discussion Do you typically say "Hi" to an acquaintance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 202210, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I am bad at remembering faces. So when I notice an acquaintance in public, I would usually doubt myself if they really are the person I was thinking of or if they just had some similar facial features. So when I do see them, I would usually look at them but then just go on with what I was doing, or just pretend that I saw nothing.

In college we had this monthly meeting for an organization I belonged to, then all throughout the session one of the seniors kept staring at me. It was weird, yes.

Then at the end, he spoke and said something about seeing someone familiar among us. He said that he saw that "person" in a bus, but never greeted him or approached him. "So they are from here, after all," he said.
    Then he told us that the next time we see him, we should at least give him a nod, or a greeting.

I do remember seeing him in the bus, but just like I said, if I am not sure about the person's identity I would never approach to say hi.

I rarely get to see him and actually I am not sure if I remember his face now.

OechineunAlex, Lissi, mir and 4 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I have at least talked with them before and can remember their face (even if I can't place it), then I would usually greet them casually. Not because I'm a super sociable person, but because I want to forestall any possible awkwardness if they had remembered me and we happen to be thrown together again in the future due to any reason.

3. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I would just usually bow or nod my head towards them especially if they make an eye contact.

4. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't remember names unless you have been around me for at least 3-4 years, but if I suddenly don't see you for a 1-2 years I will probably forget you.

I never say hi to anyone in public unless they say hi first I will walk by and if they call me on it I will say I didn't recognize you.

For a woman I will say (she lost weight or looks better than before) <--- always works
    For a man (you look fit or stronger or I just couldn't tell it was you! you changed so much!) <--- always works

mir and Deleted member 202210 like this.
  5. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the same~ Rather, sometimes I really can't see their face cause of my bad eyesight. And by the time I recognize them the opportunity to greet them has passed you know? And sometimes, I assume or worry that they wouldn't recognize me so it would be kinda weird for a stranger to just say hi you know? (Although, if I think about it, it wouldn't make sense for them to forget me if we were classmates for years or something lol) :blob_blush: And if you do greet them, it would be awkward if you get ignored too~ Which happens all the time for me *cough*. So yeah, plus the likelihood of me greeting an acquaintance decreases as time goes by. blobmelt_thumbs

6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I’m terrible with faces and especially names. So when I come across people I say Hi. This dose several things.
    1. It diffuse any bad blood because how can you or them feel bad when your being nice.
    2. A preemptive strike usually gives the advantage to the attacker. Which usually dictate the flow of battle, but also in do time the victory.
    That’s just to name a few.

Deleted member 202210 likes this.
  7. InstantCoffee

InstantCoffee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Originally I was gonna respond with a decently medium sized post but since I'm currently playing some games, heres the short version because Im lazy.
    If I barely talk to him/her, barely know him ( I don't necessarily have to unless I want to become friends with that person)
    If I know and talk to the person (I would go and talk to him)
    If It's an acquaintance (Yea I would for a couple seconds)
    Heres how It would turn out:
    Me: Hello
    Person: Oh hey
    Me: Are you from *blank*
    Person: Yea, wait are you from *blank*
    Me: Yea, anyways I'm going to listen to some music
    Person: oh alright, have a good day
    Me: Yea you too

8. Cerene

Cerene The Abandoned Woman

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. If I'm not sure, I never approach them. But if they recognize me too and greet me first, I feel guilty. :(

9. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually say, 'Yo, my dude. What's up.'. Cliche I know but it works.

10. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually either wait for them to greet me or mouth something like "Hello" and give a small smile in such a way that it could look like I just smiled and muttered something to myself, in order to get an excuse that I already said hello but they did not hear me. That's literally the first chapter of a socially awkward entity survival guide for crowded places

11. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually wait for them to walk up to me tbh just in case it’s not the person I’m thinking they’re . I usually greet them with a wave and a smile . I might create some small chat like “how you’ve been” . Then after a tiny conversation I usually part ways with them .

12. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I can say hi when I want to talk with someone whether an acquaintance or not, while it is not necessary but it is good manners to start with somesort of greeting when you want to talk with someone (maybe saying hi/hello, smile, handshake, wave, etc...), if you got nothing to say to the person then no need to talk with them, as simple as that, no need to complicate stuff XD

13. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your instincts about the person. Typically I will acknowledge a person I have a tenuous connection with using eye contact, a brief nod, or a wave.

But if I'm not sure about them, I don't want to risk a deeper connection. I will be typically indifferent, or not notice them at all. Avoidance may not be the nicest thing, but in my experiences it's better than open confrontation telling someone you don't want anything to do with them. Of course, I attract crazies that tend to act in ways you don't expect.

14. Deleted member 202210

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish I could do small talks, but it usually ends in disaster. ::blobcatsad::

15. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to see your reaction, let us say, you meet someone you know (at least they act and say they know you but you don't remember them), after greeting each other, they ask you if you want to grab some coffee together, what is your answer?

16. Deleted member 202210

Reading List:
    Link
    "Sorry, but I have something urgent to do. Thank you for the offer though"
    I always avoid situations like this as much as I can Mr Popo

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  17. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    I could tell XD

18. Deleted member 202210

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you already are aware of my introversion. LOL

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  19. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I think it's only the polite thing to say hi even if it may seem awkward, unless you're in an inconvenient situation. If you accidentally just mistook them for another person just apologize and be honest in saying that they seemed familiar.

20. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't say hi if we're not close

Even if we are close.... so awkward for some reason >.<;;