Resolved Modem and router recommendation plz

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MasterCuddler, Aug 8, 2021.

1. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Need a modem and router, anyone recommend any? Around 9 devices will be using it. 300mbps.

Havisu likes this.
  2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should look up this stuff yourself and check the products reviews, if you just want recommendation then maybe this might be what you want but make sure to look it up online and check the reviews, there are other products after all and some are better and some are not XD

Havisu and MasterCuddler like this.
  3. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as a modem, it depends on your ISP. Some modems will work with some ISPs while others won't.

As for the router, I'm assuming you'll be connecting your devices via WiFi. How large of an area does the router need to cover? Will you be using the router for anything else, like connected storage, VPN, etc?

Wujigege and Havisu like this.
  4. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that depends on how big the area of your home, and how much walls it will have to penetrate.

Any router/modem that are called as Mesh Router should be good enough, and ALWAYS make sure your router or modem have QoS feature so that you won't be lagging while gaming

MasterCuddler likes this.
  5. MasterCuddler

Reading List:
    Link
    Just normal/gaming WiFi usage~

Ok I’ll look out for those, thank you~

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How big is your house and who is your ISP? I can't give a recommendation until I know at least that much.

Most mesh routers will tank your throughput. If you want to get anything close to 300 Mb/s over WiFi, you need to be very careful in choosing a router.

7. MasterCuddler

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s about 1200 sqft and by Verizon~

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know if it's Verizon fiber, or is it Verizon DSL? If it's Verizon fiber, you'll probably need to use their modem. If it's Verizon DSL, you have some modem options.

Is your house multiple floors, or is a single floor? Are the walls made of drywall or plaster?

9. MasterCuddler

Reading List:
    Link
    2 floors~ There’s both of drywall and plaster. Most likely fiber

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok. If it's fiber, then you don't need to select a modem. You'll have to use the modem provided by Verizon.

It's likely that the modem you receive from Verizon will include a router that provides WiFi. That might be all you need. If you find that you're not getting the speed or coverage that you need from the built-in router, we can discuss other router options.

MasterCuddler and Havisu like this.
  11. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I live, its hard to even find router that can't tank 300Mbps. Most router nowadays can tank 500Mbps ez, and even the stock router given by ISP can even tank 300Mbps even if you're only subscribing 50Mbps package.

I would recommend @MasterCuddler a quality router that at least can support 500Mbps, for future plan update.
    1200sqft is pretty normal, so there should be a lot of options for you.

Wait what? There's no router/modem that can support fiber there? Impossible right? Or are they modem-locked?

Oh no 2 floors, I take back my words. You need a good router or else you won't be able to cover all the area of your home.. i would suggest mesh since mesh router are used to cover from end-to-end of house area.

12. MasterCuddler

Reading List:
    Link
    What about if it’s dsl?

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tank in this context means lower the speed. If you use wireless mesh without a proper backhaul, you're going to reduce your throughput by about 50%. With 802.11ac, which has a max theoretical speed of around 400 Mbps, halve that to 200 Mbps with mesh. You usually get about half of theoretical with walls in the way, so halve that again to around 100 Mbps. 100-150 Mbps is your likely max actual throughput on 802.11ac with mesh if you don't have a backhaul.

There aren't many setups that will allow for a 500 Mbps WiFi connection. You'd need a WiFi 6 router and a WiFi 6 client, which isn't common at this point in time. In a few years, sure. Right now, most devices are stuck at 802.11ac 1x1, which will never achieve 500 Mbps, even theoreticaly.

Verizon Fios will not provision any modem that isn't supplied by Verizon. There's no option to own your own modem with Verizon Fios.

Again, mesh without a backhaul would be bad if OP wants WiFi throughput near the maximum speed of their internet plan.

I don't think there are any 300 Mbps DSL plans. I could be wrong on that, though. If it's DSL, there are plenty of modem options. You just need to get a modem that supports whatever DSL standard you'll be using to connect to Verizon's DSL network.

EDIT:
    Just checked, Verizon's fastest DSL plan is 15 Mbps. If you're getting 300 Mbps, you're almost certainly on fiber.

EDIT 2:
    Looks like you can own your own Verizon Modem. You can only buy it from Verizon, though.
    https://www.verizon.com/home/router/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Havisu and MasterCuddler like this.
  14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the best place for testing routers and reviews:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Personally, I think the TP-Link Archer is generally a good price to performance ratio

15. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when a service tech replaced my cable modem they had to transmit its serial number via phone to some other support/technican that should be your "lock"

dsl modems were easier to replace

16. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought wifi6 was getting obsolete, didn't everyone go for an wifi6E router?

Best to buy a router with better processors, weaker router can be quite hectic over 9 device.
    Make sure to use bridge over mesh network in future.

now ask your self those question before buying.
    Do you have IPTV service?
    Do you have Static IP?
    Do you need boot over PXE though network?
    Do you need to host VMs though your router with openwrt?
    Do you have a NAS?
    Do you want offline download/uploads with your router from your PC?
    Do you want to have adblock from your router?
    Do you need to host websites with your router?

Openwrt is the best OS for router currently, it can do many things, but you need a fast cpu for your router, it's recommended to get a router with minimum quad core 2.2ghz processor which is the current mainstream.

Though expect to spent a few hundred for the best experience if you want top of the line functionality.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  17. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Have counties other than US agreed to the use of the 6ghz band for wifi yet?

Even if they have, there's barely any devices that can make use of the technology yet.
    Personally, most of my devices are still stuck at the wifi5 standard and it's not like I'm gonna throw them away just because I could speed up the connection a little.
    So unless OP is planning to trade-in all of their devices for 6e ones, buying a 6e router at this point is just a waste of money. Not to mention using a 300mbps connection on a 5gbps router (even if that planned on setting up a media server)...

18. MasterCuddler

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you all for you advices~ This chicken went an got something basic :blobpeek: Netgear Nighthawk.

19. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not that difficult, just swap the network card to ax210 and your wifi6E ready. They cost about 10 usd.

20. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    By "devices" I also meant mobiles, tablets, tvs, consoles, etc.