Recommendations BL novel recommendations...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Stray, Aug 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Stray

Stray Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I'm looking for BL story, with engaging plot. It doesn't have to be romance-focused though, as long as there IS romance and mxm couple. No rape/abuse themes and no tragic ending please! But I don't mind if there is angst and some heavy themes throughout the story, as long as the ending mends everything.

There are two novels that I can list as my favorites. One is Mo Dao Zu Shi and this is the only xianxia novel I've read so far. I'm not really into cultivation, the pursuit of immortality and similar themes, but this novel wasn't so focused on that and I really loved it. Both MC and ML are very likeable. In fact, I prefer MLs that are like Lan Wangji, instead of those that are cocky and stereotypically dominant.

I also don't like it when MC isn't damsel in distress the whole time, but I do like when ML protects him. :)

The second one is Thrive in Catastrophe. I absolutely love this one, just wish that some of the sex scenes were more consensual. I mean, it wasn't exactly rapey, but ML did seem a bit forceful at times. Nevertheless, I did like ML a lot. I like characters who appear cold and intimidating, but are actually caring, protective and loyal. MC started as weak, then became stronger and braver, so that was a plus.

I've been also reading 2013 and Undead. The characters are nice, and the plots are decent. I kinda grew tired of dystopian stories (and zombies in particular), but if you know of one that's really good, go ahead and recommend it to me ^o^ I liked No. 6 a lot as well, but the ending broke my heart. So, happy endings please, where couples stay together! Also, since this novel was more shounen ai, I want to mention that I'd prefer something that is explicitly BL. So, romantic feelings are not only hinted at, but they clearly fall in love and get together. I would prefer if there are intimate scenes though, like in MDZS, Thrive in Catastrophe and 2013. I'm not sure if there are any in Undead (if there are, I still haven't reached that point pfft). I've read Waiting For You Online, and this one was super sweet, but I'd like something with more mature themes. I do like slowburns tho, so the intimacy doesn't have to happen until later in the story! I did like this one, but in general, I am not much into stories that revolve around games either.

I've started reading The Legendary Master's Wife a long time ago, but this one was too slow-paced for me. At moments I felt like nothing is happening. I'd prefer something with a plot that's more engaging. Especially if the novel is as long as this one, it needs to have something to keep me on the edge to continue reading.

These are all that I've read (or at least that I remember I've read), so please, recommend me some BL novel that you think is good, or something that you think I'd like based on this.

2. anony.artsv

anony.artsv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently reading Guide on How to Fail at Online Dating, and it's super cutee. It is very similar to Waiting For You Online, but shorter and generally I like it way more. I think it says it's yaoi on NU, but ain't so sure of it… Also pretty supprised you haven't checked out other MXTX works - I bet you would love Heaven's Official Blessing!!

Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball likes this.
  3. Aniv2008

Aniv2008 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Sha Po Lang (more plot driven than romance.. so good ok!)
    2. Heaven's Official Blessing

4. anony.artsv

anony.artsv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    The Reborn Otaku’s Code of Practice for the Apocalypse- it's more of surviving and daily life in apocalypse. Though, mc and ml became lovers their love interactions were rarely mentioned

Earth is Online– focused more on the plot and the mysteries. Mc and ml were partners and get together almost at the end.

Card Room- focused more on how they solved each mysteries and run the plotlines

Master of Trading Star Card Game- mc learning to create cards

God Level Summoner- is also recommended. MC's rise to being the champion is super heart warming.

Proposing to seven men what to do- have a deep plot. There are many twist and turn as well. And it has a lite bit of smut as well~ and Shou abusing Gong as well.

Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  6. mzie

mzie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like Aniv2008 said, Heaven Official's Blessing is another novel by MXTX that is very heavy on worldbuilding. IMO the plot was overly complicated and the novel was way too long, but it was still a good read and the animation is fantastic. Scum Villain's Self-Saving System is another novel by MXTX. I believe there's one dubcon scene but I had no complaints about the book apart from that.
    Kaleidoscope of Death and Supernatural Movie Actor App are two plot-heavy horror/gore novels split into bite-sized arcs. They All Say I've Met A Ghost is also horror, but much shorter and sweeter.
    Mr. Melancholy Wants To Live A Peaceful Life is a heavy plot-focused but not particularly heavy or angsty novel with a well-written world.
    If you're interested in more historical novels, Golden Stage and Those Years In Quest of Honor Mine are both very good heavy-plot and scheming novels.

Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  7. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    I Second Earth is Online and Card Room. Also recommend Seizing Dreams and Silent Reading, both of which are complete.

8. OrangeKoi37

OrangeKoi37 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to mention, all of them have GE! (人*´∀`)。*゚+

Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball likes this.