Discussion Should the old design guidelines for presentation be used in these zoom era?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miku, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that every participant is now in front of their laptop, isn't it better to create a presentation with denser information? Between pre- and post-covid, we can now attach raw data into the presentation and it will be legible by each participant. We can use 1/4 sized chart compared to previous time, thus we can add more chart into the presentation. We can add size 9 font paragraph to add additional information in a sidebar-styled layout, like what is used in website.

So, should presentation be bullet point, aesthetically pleasing, with good whitespace like old? Or should it be made denser? More chart, more tables, more description in one slide?

2. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not both? Mix and match, use whichever suits the need.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  3. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes that's what I'm thinking too since they can individually review them later if they missed the part during the online meeting.

4. janethejellyfish

janethejellyfish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am speaking with my opinion as a student.

Bullet point presentation is still the easiest to follow for me, since I like to jot down notes while listening. This is easier to navigate through and neater. My science teacher likes to use this type of presentation, and I think she did a good job, we learned a lot and us students were pretty active during discussion. Downside is that it requires the speaker/teacher to add more info not written in the slide/presentation, thus it's more of a dictation and that it's not suitable for screenshots. Still, imo, it's better.

Denser information is nice, more informative, but for me with short attention span, it's a struggle to follow through and frankly, it makes me bored and less willing to listen. I had teachers who use this type of presentation, and I observed that most of them tend to just read the contents on their presentation. I also don't take notes if the presentation is like this, it's a hassle and I just end up zoning out. For these types of presentation, I don't think it's a nice idea to use it in live classes/discussions often. Still the good thing is that these types of presentation are probably the best to screenshot.

As for those with charts and tables, they are also nice, a bit hard to write down in the notes since drawing takes a bit more time. This type of presentation favors some topics (or subjects) and can't be used all the time. This is better used in discussing topics that requires explaining process and etc. Probably better used during science and math. It provides legible explanation and emphasized chronological order. Also, it's easy to screenshot.

Well that's all for me, if you're asking for educational purposes, but if not, just take this as a rant from a very stressed student.

5. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how presentation works for you, but in my case the main objective of presentation is supposed to just convey the important points. If adding more details don't distract from it then perhaps it may be put in, but ultimately the more-detailed less-important points are given in the associated document reports.

6. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    If your comparing and you want to show the a difference then putting a few main points that show this is the most efficient way by putting 3-4 point for each on left and right side the next slide would be the explanation and the next slide should be the graph side by side and then a small summary or key information about it.

The key to a good presentation is keeping it under 3min this is called golden time and everyone will pay attention anything over will be seen heard, but not really being paid attention to. it also depends on what type of presentation and it's purpose.

evanesco99211 likes this.
  8. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they should still be aesthetically pelasing, just for the main points. However, if what the teacher says in class is all recorded in the speaker notes, I'd be eternally grateful when reviewing it. :blobbunny:

9. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    it should be pleasing as per “the old way”

humans only have so much attention to be given out, a dense slide will tire everyone

10. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole point of a presentation is mostly to list off the main ideas of the presenter. Dense paragraphs only perpetuate and worsen lazy audiences which is enough of an issue as is during the current pandemic.

- My past communications professor probably

Realistically, dense paragraphs aren't appealing to me and I think they would defeat the purpose of the current meeting. I mean if you are looking at what is basically the presenter's script, what's the point of attending the presentation at all when you can just read it later?