Recommendations Looking for quality novels with good MCs

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Ulpian, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Ulpian

Ulpian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, I'd like to apologize for my writing as I'm not good at writing in English and this is my first post so bear with me.

I get bored very fast and I kinda have obsessions with the novels that I'm reading/will read. After years of reading novels, I developed a lot of weird qualities such as: allergy to classic Xianxia/Xuanhuan novels(cheap face slapping, arrogant youngmasters, etc.), obsessed with cold, calculative, maybe antihero MCs, and most importantly, schemes. I read Chinese and Korean novels only and I've never read any Japanese ones as I don't like them. I've made a list a couple of months ago but there are some novels that I forgot putting it on the list because I've never made a "read" list before this and I forgot a lot of them. I didn't note down the novels that I read before so this is going to be hard and I'm sorry about that.

novelupdates. com/viewlist/29268/ (delete the spacing)

The novels in this list are probably kind of novels that I like to read. They are "quality" novels in my eyes but ofc, everybody's opinion differs.

I don't care what kind of personality MC has but he has to be a male and has to have some backbone at least. I don't like wussy MCs (like sparing someone who shouldn't be spared and getting schemed for his mercy afterward) I'm very picky. There has to be at least +500 translated chapters and I don't care if it's original or translated (I can't read MTL, well, not that I can't, its's just too cringy and I only like quality writing so...) I said I don't care but cold and calculative MCs are much appreciated. It has to have at least a little bit of scheming although it would be better if it's a novel with a lot of schemes. There has to be action in it (it can be martial arts, magic, guns, or game elements, doesn't matter). I don't like the "harem" tag but it's okay if the novel itself is good enough. It can be a classic Xianxia/Xuanhuan novel but it has to be a quality one (like Transcending the Nine Heavens or Divine Throne of the Primordial Blood). I love brotherhood btw. Not the one with forgotten side characters, one with a real, continuous brotherhood.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. iamjungshOOk

iamjungshOOk Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo Leveling, I Alone Level Up (same novel)
    -theres only 270 chapters, but dont let that discourage you! the quality of this novel is awesome
    -originally in korean
    -weak to strong (gets SUPER op sorta quick)
    -male mc, cold (i guess), kinda dumb at times but not enough to piss you off, if you do something to piss him off he will retaliate
    -the setting of the novel is modern time, but with monsters and gates and that sort of stuff
    -not harem (thank god) but there is a love interest
    -the plot is sorta confusing later on but its interesting
    -basically fits most of your requests, except maybe the anti-hero, scheming stuff and the amount of chapters it has
    -it does have a webtoon version, but it leaves alot of scenes out so i suggest the novel version
    -10/10 recommend

3. Reverand Insanity

Reverand Insanity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Suggest you read Trash of the Counts Family
    MC is very relatable but also very deep
    He can use his brain which is quite funny when he makes strategies
    The story is interesting with all kinds of character as it is a fantasy action story
    He also has to fight a syndicate
    Gets transmigrated into a book
    Sent to paralell universe
    Tsundere personality
    it can be summarised as
    A misunderstood Tsundere surronded by yanderes going on unexpected adventures
    its reached 700+ chapters yet its coming up mindblowing stories:aww:

You could also try out
    I have transmigrated into this movie before !!really good stories with good MC and amazing plot !!
    You should hundred percent try out Omnisceint Readers Point of view ,if you haven t, read this wildy popular novel then I don t, know what you have doing until now lliving under a rock but GO READ it now !!

You could also read Second Coming of Gluttony very good story,one of the most famous novels on novelupdates

You can try out Reverand Insanity If you are into a good cultivation novel where mc struggles and succeds you and you can also see dark bloody side of cultivation world .

Some other mentions
    The S classes I raised
    Supernatural Actor App
    Saving the Crazy Villanese System( Quick Transmigration)
    Genuis Detective
    Cannon Fodder Counterattck ( Task Taker ,Mc Ning Shu)

4. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    I can recommend reading both My House of Horrors and My Iyashikei Game, the former is already completed and just waiting for the editor to release all the translated chapters, while the latter is still ongoing, both are great novels from the same Author.
    And also Embers Ad Infinitum from the same Author of Lord of the Mysteries, I find it good despite the slow start of it.

5. tempelis

tempelis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that you're not interested in japanese novel but i think this one is the "quality" novel that you might be liked :

"Rakuin no Monshou"
    Male and not wussy ✓
    No harem ✓
    Calculative MC ✓
    There has a scheming ✓
    Light Novel ✓ (It was a light novel, so it was at least good because it has an editor unlike web novel)

6. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Ulpian

Ulpian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your suggestions. "Trash of the Count's Family" is already on the list that I mentioned in the post. The MC was almost the opposite of what I needed from an MC but the story was good so I enjoyed reading it a lot. I'm waiting for the chapters to pile up. I tried the "Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint". I read like +200 chapters but there was something I didn't like before which was the writing style I believe. I can't elaborate properly because it was complicated so I dropped it. I finished the "Second Coming of Gluttony" except for its side stories. There were a lot of plot holes but overall it was good so I liked it. I did read the Reverend Insanity, unfortunately, they banned it so it's unfinished. It was incredible though. I've heard the "Genius Detective" before but I didn't try to read it before for some reason. I'm going to try it next. I tried the "Supernatural Movie Actor App", but that kind of "horror" was not my thing. So I stopped reading it. Both "The S-Classes That I Raised" and "Cannon Fodder Counterattack System" have too few chapters so I'm not going to read them(at least for now, maybe in the future). I'm going to try reading "Genius Detective" and "Quick Transmigration: Saving the Crazy Villainess". Thank you for your suggestions.

I did read it. You mentioned the quality but that novel was one of the rare novels that I hated a lot in the past. It's solely written for earning money. Literally. The author was thinking to make a quick buck writing it. There is almost no worldbuilding, development of MC, character personality development (including side characters), and detailed storytelling. It's not my place to say something because these are only opinions. You might've liked it but I did not. However, if we make an unbiased review, it's not because I didn't like it, but that is probably the truth. It was a novel that needed to be at least +500 chapters, and more detailed. The plot was there, but the author cut most of it. Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

Kingdom's Bloodline was on my mind for a long time actually. People said it was too slow and MC just doesn't grow up. This could be the reason for my hesitance probably. I want to try reading it though, now that you suggested it. I did read both "The Path Toward Heaven" and "Joy of Life" although I read like at most 200+ chapters of the latter. I can't remember why I stopped reading it but I can't remember much about the story so I might just try reading it again. I read like 500+? chapters of "The Path Toward Heaven". I stopped reading it because I hit the newest translated chapters probably. Mao Ni is a genius alright. Thank you for your suggestions.

Kingdom's Bloodline was on my mind for a long time actually. People said it was too slow and MC just doesn't grow up. This could be the reason for my hesitance probably. I want to try reading it though, now that you suggested it. I did read both "The Path Toward Heaven" and "Joy of Life" although I read like at most 200+ chapters of the latter. I can't remember why I stopped reading it but I can't remember much about the story so I might just try reading it again. I read like 500+? chapters of "The Path Toward Heaven". I probably stopped reading it because I hit the newest translated chapters. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Oh my, the Cuttlefish. I love his novels and he is a master at writing lol. Many people didn't like the "Embers Ad Infinitum" but I wanted to try it because I love the author. I was just waiting for the chapters to pile up. I didn't like the MC in the "My House of Horrors". He was... ahm.. too weird? I don't know. I didn't give it a chance though I only read like 50ish chapters so I might have just done an injustice. I'm going to check out the "My Iyashikei Game". Thank you for your suggestions.

8. fathead

fathead Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So these are not on your reading list. You should try these novels. These are basically some of the first fan translated published works from spcnet that got everyone interested in webnovels. I think they are all pretty much fully translated. I think these have all sold millions copies in China.
    Chapter numbers here are not indicative of length. I think each chapter in these novels are about 5-10 times as long as a webnovel chapters.

1. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-deer-and-the-cauldron/

2. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-legend-of-the-condor-heroes/

3. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-return-of-the-condor-heroes/

4. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-heaven-sword-and-the-dragon-sabre/

5. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/smiling-proud-wanderer/

6. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/demi-gods-and-semi-devils/

7. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/twin-heroes/

8. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/da-tang-shuang-long-zhuan/

9. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-step-into-the-past/