Will you eat artificial meat or food

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Neiri, Aug 12, 2021.

?

eat or no eat

Poll closed Aug 19, 2021.
  1. yes

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    the artificial meat should be referring to cell cultured meat other that those plant based meat and gluten mock meat
    probably

I dont see what's wrong with eating artificial meat as long as it doesn't harm the body.
    since its already developing why not just take it

2. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. I want to know what's in it and I also want it to taste good. If I'm ok with the ingredients and the taste, sure. I also would appreciate it if it wasn't called 'meat', though, I've bought the wrong product on accident before and did not appreciate that. We need a different name for this stuff.

There are some really gross 'meat' alternatives out there though. I'd rather just eat quinoa than weid mushy quinoa 'meat'.

I'm not super fond of the idea, though. I do eat meat, so eh. Nothing wrong with a vegetarian/vegan diet either, I don't think I'd really need a lot of 'fake meat' to be happy with that.

Ai chan likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country there was a lot of case where fish and tofu injected with formalin (formaldehyde), it will make the food looking fresh for a few days. Nowadays there are no more cases appear on the news but you wouldn't know if the seller is naughty

imK, PaladinWolf and Ai chan like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with eating artificial meat, if you don't know what's involved in it. But you see, cell-cultured meat uses animal blood to grow those meat. Just making one of those already leaves an environmental footprint. But now, they want to move away from animal blood and go straight into chemicals, because the way cell-cultured meat is made now is prohibitively expensive. So it all comes back to chemicals.

The only way for all these artificial meat can be competitive with real meat, is the heavy use of artificial flavouring, colouring, preservative and other chemicals. With real beef, you slaughter it, cut it into chunks, cut it into steaks and then, you cook it, maybe you add pepper and salt, but that's it. With fake beef, you add colouring to it, because it doesn't look right, then you add flavouring to it, because it doesn't taste right, then you add preservative to it, because salmonella grows on it very fast unlike real cow muscles, then you realize that it doesn't have much nutrient, so you add minerals to it, and voila, you got fake beef, that is in every way inferior to real beef except for the flavour, because it's added fake flavour.

5. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally if we don't kill off enough animals they will destroy the local environment faster then any humans could have you ever seen what wild boars do to the ecosystem? or deer? or wild horses? They equal all kinds of destruction to the ecosystem and human structures and roads would be covered in roadkill no thanks I'll keep hunting for my meat thank you very much

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes if there no other option~
    it also partly human fault on destruction of predator, introduction other species long time ago which change food chain on ecosystem, and change environment to fit human need from settlement to agriculture to other stuff~ the nature always try find balance~ being destructive or constructive it just typical action-reaction stuff~

oh well poultry, fishing and plenty of meat industry is essential but sometimes kinda ignored until it was too late~ talk less about wild animal

7. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Nothing artificial has ever truly replicated the original. It either has side effects or lacks the nutrients and benefits you get from food. Humans shouldn't try to be on par with god by doing so, we just aren't competent enough. Anyway, I don't see much harm in consuming meat as long as I am looking out for its source. The meat I consume is for the major part raised in healthy environments and with good food. Those animals which have been oppressed or maltreated aren't good, cause firstly I don't support animal cruelty and secondly We are what we eat. An animal that has always been healthy and happy will pass on healthy and good nutrients to me and vice versa.
    Also, I don't consume meat from animals that aren't raised in large quantities like chicken, mutton, beef or rabbits. I don't consume those meats of tigers and lions and kind which sounds grand but puts those animals at the danger for extinction. Anyways many a times I have noticed that animals raised live better and longer than those that aren't eaten and basically become strays that are left on street to be abused. Atleast for the sake of selling them, they are treated well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  8. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who basically tries to eat only organic food and stuff as much as possible... uh, I don't think so?

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  9. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Completely avoiding chemicals is kinda deadly.

That aside, I had fake meat made from beans the other day. Whatever. I could've had some beans but I had bean meat, what's the difference.

10. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m pretty sure we already do? :hmm:

ongoingwhy likes this.
  11. grass_is_tasty

grass_is_tasty Grass is more than just weed.

Reading List:
    Link
    I already feel disgusted enough by real meat, artificial meat is out of question. I'd want to die before agriculture causes the ecosystem to die so that I wouldn't have to see the days of artificial food.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course Ai-chan means the synthetic chemicals that does not exist in nature instead of all chemicals. In a way, you can say that table salt is a chemical, as everything in the world exists in chemical form, even water is a chemical, H20. But Ai-chan is not talking about the general, sweeping definition of 'chemical', only the type of chemicals that had to be created to exist, such as aspartame (made from petroleum), methyl cyclopentenolone, diacetyl, methyl methoxy pyrazine, and benzaldehyde; all of whom exist in your processed food. You don't need them, but you have them, because otherwise your fake food will not taste as good.

It has been normalized so much that artificial flavourings does not have to abide by 'safe', but only 'generally recognized as safe' now. You're not even told what artificial flavouring is used in your food now. You can't check what you're putting inside your body because companies are not required to inform you what artificial flavouring they're putting in your food as long as they abide by the list of 1,300 approved chemicals to produce artificial flavouring. Artificial flavouring is not nutritional, it doesn't give you any nutrition, it just makes you want to consume more of that thing.

ongoingwhy, Ddraig and imK like this.
  13. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    If it tastes well enough, is well priced and healthy enough I'd eat it, but if people try to force me to eat it then I'll avoid eating it regardless of how good it is otherwise.

14. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    No way, i dislike soy and insects.

15. Deleted member 382919

Deleted member 382919 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never been a picky eater, so why not try anything?

16. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I am very interested in Artificial meats due to the unavailability of endangered species that live in water...
    Example: Shark meat, whale meat, Salmon meat, Japanese Eel meat, etc.

17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I see no reason to eat meat in the first place - artificial or not. And artificial vegetables make even less sense tbh.
    And I agree with @Ai chan here to a decent extent, improvements towards wasting less food, hydroponics etc is much better and artificial food is a waste of research resources.

Ai chan likes this.