Discussion Do you listen to music when you read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TDDM, Aug 13, 2021.

1. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read books, mangas, novels I often listen to music and often 2-3 songs on repeat and when I finish them every time I hear that music I remember or at least some of them.
    For example from mangas:
    Tsubasa Chronicle Nomy - cocaine.
    Soul eater and This is Halloween - Marilyn Manson
    The braker and Simple plans songs.
    KHR and Kanye - stronger
    From novels:
    Devil's cage and Fear & Delight The Correspondants
    1/2 Prince and Bon jovi
    48 hours a day and moss cosmo sheldrake
    I can't remember the name but it's about a guy who is psychopaths was summoned to another world and at the end he finds his heart and emotions thanks to that one girl 8 Graves - Bury Me Low

And also there are stuff that I was reading while listening to classical music or music from my country.
    There are also novels and songs that when I see or hear I know that they are connected but i may not remember the names of either the song or novel.

So I was basically interested if anyone else does stuff like that too.

2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like music and reading together. I would almost always choose to listen to the music than read. Sometimes, I could manage but rarely.

And I only play songs on repeat when they are stuck in my head so that I'd get tire of it. I like shuffled music, it's like a box of surprises.

3. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really I do the opposite reading is one of the few times that I'm not listening to music or if I am it's very very quite compared to the volume that I have it normally.

Irisia likes this.
  4. SebastianKJ

SebastianKJ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually listen to Lofi or some piano. I can't properly concentrate on the novel if the songs have text.

M.D.D and Happyman0512 like this.
  5. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I'm from a big family so when I read there almost always was noise around me kids, tv, siblings or my parents. And honestly often when I read I do it in one language and listen in other with helps with just focusing on other things. And also I was reading a lot in school on breaks or sometimes on lessons and I assume people know how noisy schools are.

Bad Storm likes this.
  6. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Understandable. But I like enjoying music and I can't enjoy it when there are other noise around it. Reading feels like a noise sometimes haha.

And it's way easier to drown background noise than music.

7. Noble Ran

Noble Ran Evil Ordeal

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. Whenever I listen to some of my favorite music, I remember the novels I've read while listening to them. Likewise, when I'm reading a novel in silence while I'm used to reading it along with a certain song or album, I'll hear that song or album play inside my head on repeat.

8. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on my state of mind, if my mind is wandering listening to music while reading helps me focus…

9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, I love looping songs in the background when I read~!

10. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather not to, it might muddle my thoughts XD

Mr Inanda likes this.
  11. Mr Inanda

Mr Inanda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's too distractive. Can't enjoy the music if I'm reading, and can't enjoy the book if I'm listening to the music.

12. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really because it distracts me most of the times. When I do, I only play my fave classical musics or some guqin covers on repeat.

13. afelice

afelice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on what I read. If the book is written in my native language or English, I can and always listen to the music but mostly instrumental/classical as a background sound.

if i need to translate the book first (especially japanese and korean literature). back to work mode (without music), because I read and learn the language at the same time so my brain capacity is not enough to accommodate music lol.

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find music to be great for setting the tone for the book I'm reading. I mostly read Chinese novels so traditional Chinese music is a great match. It works especially well if the story itself references a specific piece of music - I just find the piece of music, and everything just feels perfect! That's how I found all sorts of pieces, from Vangelis' "Conquest of Paradise" to Alexandrov's "the Sacred War" to Teresa Teng (and Faye Wong's) 水调歌头 to the Tang dyanasty 秦王破阵乐.

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    While I sometimes do listen to music while reading, it is more so with manga than with novels.
    If I'm reading a text-only story I usually will find music a distraction unless I just so happen to find the right song to listen to, but I'm not going to bother looking for that whenever I read something.
    With manga or comics in general there is less of a need for me to concentrate on the story since a lot of what would have been descriptions in a novel is visualized instead, so getting distracted is less of a concern.

16. phonebinder

phonebinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do because I easily get sleepy while reading too much and listening to music is the best way for me to stay awake.

17. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to listen to music as I read stuff, mostly to help me focus/drown out the noise from the surroundins.

A few years back I started using TTS to listen to novels alongside reading them, which helped me focus even more, speeding up my average reading... speed significantly. Mostly by helping me cut down distracting thoughts that forced me to reread pages all over again when I'd suddenly realize I've no idea what
    I read on the last few pages.

Used to happen to me too, not only with books though. When I was in highschool I started a new MMO and I'd just picked up a new band, then for like the next 2 years I'd be reminded of playing the MMO whenever I heard the band's songs (I turned off in-game music and I listened to the "new band" instead).

Even now with TTS, I sometimes only listen to webnovels and I do chores in the meanwhile, then later when I repeat the tasks I'm often taken back to the stories I listened to the last time around.

18. Rusio2

Rusio2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I am in the focused I wont even realize there is music at some points. Even if some heavy metal were to play while I am reading a romance manga or whatever it wouldn't break my focus at all. Only reason I do play music is so I can drown out sudden sounds irl from traffic or neighbors since those are annoying

19. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Vocalless songs or dubstep, thats my thing

20. Happyman0512

Happyman0512 THE HEAVENLY LAZY GOD , LAZI-GHTENED SLACKER

Reading List:
    Link
    do you , like don't use headphones?

yeah i all way listen music when reading so when i just listen the music i remember some event from the novel