Discussion (rant) don't like don't read

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by chrissy987, Aug 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. chrissy987

chrissy987 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually ignore but today got triggered by yet another review by someone saying how disgusting it is the protagonist is 14 years old. Bro its setting is in ancient china, use your reading comprehension abilities to understand the cultural and historical context. If you don't like, don't read. Why you even have to leave a 1 star review and disparaging & disrespectful comment to author and translator. Get tf off your fucking high horse and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Just a fucking rant.

Gadget, Lissi, Sabruness and 4 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People matured (or were forced to mature) faster back then. They mature slower now, hence the silly reviews. :blobpeek:

Gwennie Call, Lissi, 0000000 and 4 others like this.
  3. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same energy as leaving 1 star review toward below 10 chapter novel

chrissy987 likes this.
  4. chrissy987

chrissy987 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah hahah it's just a silly rant. I feel better after posting it. I just feel angry about how they're rude to other people about something that's quite obviously written in the summary and tagged properly, in line with the cultural context.

otaku31 likes this.
  5. Reverend Insanity

Reverend Insanity Despapa69's Split Soul

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, interesting.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An adult falling in love with a 13-14 year old is believable in historical novels. However, from the modern perspective, it looks very squicky, so I can't blame the critic. Besides, the ratings on NU have always been useless, so the reason why a number is assigned doesn't matter (and many of the reasons are much worse than the one in OP).

7. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... That logic is skewed in the first place. Don't agree with it? Ignore it and move on.

8. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same as the homophobes who just leave 1 star ratings to BL/GL stories, even without reading it. Like it's quite simple, if you don't like the genre then just ignore it. It's not written for you after all. :blobunamused:

Lissi, chrissy987 and IceLight303 like this.
  9. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A popular fanfiction writer wrote something controversial in the AN and people were leaving reviews saying they won't read his fanfictions anymore.

I'm like author is posting it for free! He is not benefitting from you reading it and doesn't give a f. Don't like, don't read.

chrissy987 likes this.
  10. HoldOn

HoldOn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolutely agree. People were like: "I dont like these tags so I'll just leave 1 star even tho I dont read the story. Just bcz I hate them!"

Smh

chrissy987 likes this.
  11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    There are always people like that, who give stupid reviews and bad ratings for no reason :blob_coughblood:

12. MrPlayer

MrPlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think male readers usually don't rate BL/GL novels, however, female readers generally do rate harem novels poorly because they don't like it. That's why you'll find BL/GL novels are rated very high, but harem novels are very poorly rated, though I can't deny some of them deserves it.

phonebinder and Fishy_MC_FishMan like this.
  13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of stupid reviews, but without knowing which story or review this is about I can't really tell if this is one of them or if you are just overreacting.
    Even if a story is trying to be historically accurate it can still be done in a way that is questionable and creepy, but judging by your rant I assume this is about a reviewer that didn't care enough about context to make that kind of criticism anyway.