Discussion How bad is mtl these days?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bad Storm, Aug 7, 2021.

1. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    I only mtl occasionally and when i do, i choose something that's easy to understand, one that won't cause a severe damage to my brain cells.

2. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Brain cell still loss and dying, but I got used to it xD

4. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mtl makes me depressed :(

5. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly lnmtl and mtlnovel. The first improves somewhat over time as people's suggestions gloss over a lot of rough mtl parts and the second has greater starting quslity than lnmtl, but sadly doesn't improve over time so they are overall similar quality.

There are some "tls" that are mtl or worse like Tapreads or plenty of qidian fuckups, but those are irrelevant unless you have the misfortune of running into them.

Also, it does you good sometimes to return to english speaking author works as you get tired of sifting through a lot of junk, be it tled or mtled.

6. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the novel itself. Some novel with lots of cryptic sentences are really hard to mtl, so you can expect bad mtl, heck, even if not mtl, the translation is going to be bad too if the translator themselves aren't really that solid in japanese.

I tried to MTL Vermilion, since I trust my Japanese speaking to be rated at 3/5 star (my own rating)... It took me 1 whole week to translate a single chapter, and although I am confident that it is readable and pretty decent for a MTL-d chapter, i can won't say it is the best.

And the group who took up the novel never updated the novel after few first chapter.. so yeah.

7. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its still bad but it is better than years ago.

I still occasionally see clearly wrong translation.

Example
    "I'm clever. I'll talk to the owner." It should be "understood" I'll talk to the (shop) owner

8. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My child, do not challenge the bottom line. It can exceed your expectations. Only, they have not been accepted by the NU Gods.

9. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:
    Is that offer open to anyone? Do you have a short list of recommended western novels you could send me a copy of?

Deleted member 341214 likes this.
  10. Deleted member 341214

Deleted member 341214 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What genre do you prefer? I have a good list of biographies/autobiographies(on the basis of what I have read). Then I have some rollercoaster kind, a novel which makes you cry, dance in joy and depressed too. My speciality is in fantasy fiction ones, and post-apocalyptic.Currently, I am reading 'The War of Art', about finding passion and achieving something in life.

11. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comrademao is the best in terms of readability and nouns, lnmtl and mtlnovel vie for 2nd place based on how complete the glossary is. Mtlnovel is better than the same novel on lnmtl without a good glossary.

12. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones in bold please

Deleted member 341214 likes this.
  13. Deleted member 341214

Deleted member 341214 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I should not spam here.Do you mind if I write it under your profile ? @mir

mir likes this.
  14. Benguin

Benguin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who recently entered the MTPE business, I will say that it was a shocking surprise how acceptable MT has become. I remember six years ago that even Google Translated was utter gibberish, but deep learning has really brought massive leaps to the field. It's still not up to the standard of experienced human translators, but possibly amateurs with selected genres such as those with modern settings.

15. Wizard007

Wizard007 Arlo

Reading List:
    Link
    Use mtl rarely and is mostly because I want to find out what happens next in a story and can't wait. To stop me from having to use it I try to only start novels once they have around 60 chapters or are completed otherwise they just stay in my reading list until a later date.
    I first started with flying lines and still have it as some novels I cant access without it, but recently they have changed some stuff and released some mtl novels. However, the constant errors in pronouns etc is starting to break me. Still reading as I like the story and is not as bad as others I have read

16. Sti_les

Sti_les Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too hard for me to digest. I am trying to read it carefully but it only make my brain hurts. There are some good mtl, barely readable but I give up... (QAQ)

17. Lykalee

Lykalee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strangely, it got better. Some lines are even quotable quotes now and there are some full paragraphs that are grammatically correct. Either that or my brain already f-ed up too much.

18. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Her breasts hung from the sides of her legs. Hairy

Huh ur brain is autocorrecting, and irl my brain has officially become dyslexic

19. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really wanted to read the raws so badly you somehow couldn't wait and had to torture yourself to read illegible machine translations, DeepL + Google TL is the way.

20. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty readable with the right sources. Almost translator quality , just a tier down for me. Good mtl is not uncommon but yes some brain damaging slapstick combination if words that causes headaches do exist. They are pretty obvious from chapter 1. All I read is mtl nowadays, not from a mtl site but with Google from the source Chinese websites. Mtlnovel has a lot if readable mtl they keep on improving their variety of novels , I used to read there until their rate of adding couldn't keep up with my needs cough wants. Tell your friend if he wants to do what I do, don't get hooked from any novel on faloo. The lock chapters and there's no pirate websites...at all.