Romantic gestures that are dreamy in asian novels but creepy in real life.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Solracmar, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this article about things that work in book but weird in real life :
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/simrinsingh/romantic-gestures-that-are-dreamy-in-books-but-red-flags-irl

Well i thought we coud do the same for light- novel and chinese korean etc since they have similar cliches.

So lets begin with 3 obvious for me:

1- yandere. I am sorry to say but a crazy stalkerish possessive killing machine of girl no matter how dere wouldn't be fun in real life. Just because we have one very fragile life.

2- harem. As a rule monogamy is followed in most of the world so except for really rich or a really miraculous case normally it won't be accepted in real life.

3- reverse harem. Same motivation of the above.

A Chinese novels cliche that won't work well in reality.

1. Son in law hidden power/money etc. Except when he has a good reason(will die if exposed) this whole let my wife suffer while i accumulate rss is a asshole move that would end in divorce from the lack of trust and sacrifices done before the grand reveal.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree XD
    Some things are better kept in novels

Mr. Tired and idlereader like this.
  3. pplymn

pplymn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree
    I would also add
    - the ‘little black room’ trope (imprisonment)
    - having sex to fix relationship problem

I think it’s pretty obvious why these are red flags. I personally don’t think these are dreamy even in novels but having seen it in so many popular novels, I guess there are a certain amount of audiences that enjoy reading these?

[edit: just reread the title again and you mention ‘light novels’ not just novels. I haven’t read much LN so what I wrote above would be more inclined to normal novels rather than the LNs]

4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Grabbing people randomly.
    Most people would have shouted at you or hit/kick you if you just grab them randomly.

2. Forced kiss.
    Same as the above

3. Overbearing/possessive.
    Makes your lover feel as if they are trapped inside a cage (not all, but some will feel as if they don’t have enough freedom).

4. Ditching the person you are dating for your white moonlight (dream lover that you couldn’t get) and not expecting them to get angry.
    I get that that person is someone you wanna date and all, but just ditching someone because of it and expecting them to not be angry is just njsbbspusvvsug.

5. Stalking.
    .... I don’t even get how this is even okay. Imma just leave this to the police.

5. Freija

Freija Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. the idea of 'first love.' high school sweethearts is a romantic cliche and i'm not saying that it can't happen in real life... but planning to spend your life together with the person you met when you were 16 isn't a great idea. bruh you're just kids, a bunch of shit can happen in the next 10 years that will change who you are.

2. moral/physical purity. basically a girl can't flirt around - you see this trope very often when someone accuses a female character of leading guys on. in addition, there's the trope of "if i kiss/rape this person they have to be mine because they're ruined forever." this also plays into the next part of "i will cleanse you of the disgusting forced kiss by kissing you myself" - let me tell you, someone who has been kissed against their will usually does not want to be kissed again, no matter the intentions.

anyways i say these are creepy in real life but they're unfortunately pretty common attitudes i've found lmao

6. Cerene

Cerene The Abandoned Woman

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

7. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You missed Tsundere, legal loli shows up to much as well.

Harem shows up in way more of the worlds history then most realize, but the problem from a modern western perspective is mostly that the practitioners almost always treat women as little more then property which is not appropriate, but that exists in to many other non-harem communities, usually with strong "religious" overtones. However there are cases where they do work as long as everyone involved is willing and on an equal standing, though some still object due to simply being prudes. Simply put the conditions that make it work and not be creepy are not present in most novels, but do exist in real life. Same for reverse harem, which is a thing in the modern world, just very very rare.

8. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I changed the title . It is not just light novel but also chinese and Korean .
    I am sad to say but abusive relationships and Stockholm cases do happen we also have laws about it since they are real.
    However this ideal that a violent aproach is acceptable is a whole other theme.

Interesting in the book list that i linked most of your points also appear. So maybe it is a more general cliche that writers use.

Yeah but i also saw novels that treat thos two themes exactly in the opposite way. Like i want to escape my 14 years relationship and i want a more "experienced" fmc. Both are happening in new novels so.... change?

I didn't miss tsundere. I actually know some people similar to the cliche and kind of like it. Loli baba actually exist in people with growth problems so .....

I can agre with you in the harem bit, but it is more of a difference in perspective. I was talking more in geral and you are bringing up more specific circumstances.

9. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    A girl sitting alone reading a book in a park and a guy shows up. Out of nowhere, the guy asks, "Hey, you're reading [insert book title/author's name here] too?" Long story short, they become a couple. The setting may differ, like in a library or a bookstore or a cafe, but the premise is the same.

Also, those confession/apology (not marriage proposal, though it may count in some cases) in public (school ground, park, football field) scenes, with balloons and music and many people getting involved. I always find them cringeworthy, no matter how fluffy or cute.

Solracmar likes this.
  10. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A man grabbing a lock of a woman's hair and sniffs it. I really can't imagine it in real life without having a weird or creepy atmosphere.
    [​IMG] upload_2021-8-10_22-6-10.jpeg

11. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

Tsundere can work irl just not the exaggerated tora Dora type crap
    Harem also works irl, lots of Muslim men who are orthodox are allowed to marry up to 4 wives or someshit
    And loli concept is disgusting, basically glorified peodphilia

12. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a new one.

Ignoring the fm for years and suddenly fall in love and being accepted in a few days. Just to be clear the problem here is the speed in accepting.

13. EverydayNeedsSomeAction

EverydayNeedsSomeAction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The "white moonlight thing", and it's not you lol.

14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    KABE DON !!!

https://www.japantrends.com/gu-kabe-don-ginza-event/

upload_2021-8-16_9-59-1.png

Whats RSS?

15. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link