Spoiler Under the oak tree

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lovina, Dec 25, 2019.

1. dita90

dita90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so so true! you took all of the word out of my mouth! that y i'm also mad at how max character develop. i start to see the resemble with what people say 'children are a reflection of their parents.' Max didn't give the equal attention as Riftan give. but the more Riftan give the more she ask. The main problem is she keep on comparing herself with other. I find it even more unreasonable when she said she understand Riftan and yet behave toward her own self interest. Not to mention she herself are never expressive of her own feeling/ thought and yet she got mad at Riftan for not telling him what he thinking. I think Riftan already express enough of how he feel and yet she couldn't absorb it and accept it. That man just almost saw you dying twice in war. (If I saw my husband running toward the gun again even after being shot already. I would also be devastated.:cry:)
    I get that you want to be a better person and strive for independent to prove your worth but there are time when we as a couple we need to rely on the other partner. That is not how equality work. Now it feel as if Max is just competing with Riftan who is going to be number 1. (just like what we do in school exam:rolleyes:)

Haish... What a story that make your stomach goes up and down.:confused:

bradpitt69 and creams like this.
  2. cree94

cree94 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I finished the first and second book again. I love this story, but I feel like I need to put it away for a season. I want this author to just finish the second book. It is hard to find information on her condition and if this story will ever been finished. I find it annoying the even the webtoon has finished season 1 and doesn't give you a date on season 2. My hope is the by next year the author will have started writing again. IDK. This series has gotten popular, so my hope there will be a finished series. If not, I might go crazy wishing to know what conclusion the author had in mind for Maxi, Riftan and their world.

Jennybui52, Alessiavie and mj209 like this.
  3. amylane1023

amylane1023 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well they have their own points...but if you are going to analyze maxi's decision...she doesnt have much choice either...if she could stay with riftan for the rest of her life she would..but their circumstances wouldnt allow her to do so...maxi understands why he is cold to her... for me the separation was good for the both of them...it gave them time to breathe...and think..

4. Flyinghigh79

Flyinghigh79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both Maxi and Riftan are both right and wrong throughout the story. Their second separation while it was painful for both of them, it was still the only choice. For Maxi to grow and protect Riftan, and for Riftan to take a step back and realize that he was being suffocating and paranoid towards his wife. While I do understand that Maxi doesn't want her husband to go into dangerous situations and be worried on whether or not he will come back alive and she gets mad when she feels like he wants to control her. However, I don't like it when Maxi calls Riftan an idiot especially in their last fight, which was something that wasn't even his fault. Nor do I like it when she intentionally tries to make her husband jealous, even though he told her, he was afraid of getting her pregnant again. I do like it when they have the heart to heart talk, she reasurres him that she only left to be a better version of herself for him and gives him some comfort and even gives him a meaningful gift of a homemade decoration and promises to make new ones when they go back home. Maybe in 107 and further they're both going to apologize to each other and hug and Maxi will properly listen to Riftan and all of the hardships that he has had to face in his life. As someone said here as well, Riftan needs to stop carrying the entire world on his shoulders and hopefully Maxi will be the one to take care of her husband and realize that she loves him more then anything.

5. money

money Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think many readers can't see the fact that between riftan and max, max is the one who needs to open up, not riftan, because the book is from max's POV. We can see all of max's thoughts and past experience, so we understand her better. But if you block all the info we have as readers about max's feelings for riftan, and only look at her conversations with riftan, we can see that there is no reason for riftan to believe that max is in love with him. Max only expressed her true fondness for him 3-4 times throughout both books. These are so rare, that its normal for riftan to think that they were just a few exceptions when she felt love for him. Thats similar to how his mother only showed affection a few times and then ultimately left him. I don't think he feels "loved" by max. He thinks max got used to him and has grown attached to him as she has no other choice but to accept her fate as his wife. He thinks max is making so much effort because she's a dutiful , kind person, not out of love for him. He believes there is no possibility of max loving him as she is too good for him. Except for a few times she also has never told him the things about him that make him loveable. In fact she didnt refute him when he asked her if she liked men such as Sejur, which surely deepened his belief that he is not desirable to her. You are right ,the novel does evoke so many emotions:rolleyes::oops:. I'd get so pissed if my partner would only express their feelings once or twice, and in return would want me to be 100% passionate all the time, as max expects of riftan. That is why I get so triggered by her:LOL:

I'm not criticizing her decision to leave. I think she should have left. I'm criticizing her reaction to riftan telling her about his mother's suicide. How heartless do you have to be to not even offer comfort to a person who just revealed they lost their mother to suicide and fear they'd meet the same end. All she did was keep going on and on about how she will return in three years , that she is going to leave. The least she could have done was leave a letter for him before she left for nornui. I also thought it was good for them to separate as it gave them time to think, but later realized max had only grown in skills, but as a person she has made no improvement in regards to being sensitive and understanding. She thinks riftan is mad, doesn't consider he is in pain. She only finds it out when he spells it out to her that how much pain he's in. And even after that she's only been soft with him occasionally. Most of the times she's too hard on him

I don't think riftan was obsessive. I can't think of any one person who'd let their partner go to war with only few months of preparation. It would have been unreasonable of him to be obsessed with max's protection, if max had only fallen in minor danger. But she was in grave danger repeatedly. Riftan had to see his own unborn child pass, and the love of his life fighting for her life, so its not unreasonable for him to do everything in his power not to repeat it. I think both of their characters would certainly grow in the future and would be more careful not to hurt each other as they did before

6. jjcheng

jjcheng Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How is Riftan not feeling loved by Maxi? I mean she tried to seduce him first when they were trapped in the cave alone, she kept the shabby coin he gifted her for 3 years because "it belongs to him, and it feels he is by her side". Maxi even went all the way to riscue Riftan when he was missing. She also proposed to stay at Ethynal Castle so Riftan could keep more knights with him during the war...

Yes Maxi hasn't said she loves Riftan yet but it is the same for him...

It was constantly mentioned that Maxi is afraid to loss Riftan's affection. I think that's why she sometimes acts childish (like make Riftan feel jealous to get his attention but she soon regrets it..). And she is constantly jealous of Agnes/maids/any women who approach Riftan lol.

And I get why Max is anxious, because she still doesn't know why Riftan loves her in the first place...she described his love as "her luck".

Riftan is never open about himself (nor to Maxi or RDK). In Book 1, Maxi has asked him about his past, but he only answers the minimal (and gets angry when she wants to know more lol). In Book 2, Riftan confesses more about his feeling, but it's often after Maxi has asked (or deliberately pick fight with him haha). E.g. Max has asked Riftan "whether he still hates her" during the night camp, and she even yells at him to get him to communicate - the pine cone fight!

Our readers know better about Riftan's feeling after reading Riftan's POV, but in Maxi's POV she is still trying to figure it out. At this point everything about Maxi is known to Riftan (and even the people close to her), I hope the later part of Book 2 will be dedicated to Maxi knowing more about Riftan.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  7. Chikitaki

Chikitaki New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. I feel u too.. But our friends there also have a point.. I mean it is kind of true though. Well, as for me I know that both of them are so much in love. But if u look back in book 1, riftan undying love n his affection to maxi will suffocate both of them. He is becoming overprotective and I do think if riftan keep pushing himself he will turn to be a psycho. Of coz I do understand the love that he have for maxi but if its too much.. Maxi will face another issue in becoming a person who can love back. It goes the same in real life.. I mean like me.. I can't take it if my parents keep on preventing me to explore my strength and ability. Even it is in the name of love... I think I will turn to hate my parents rather then loving them back. And yeah... the breaks does help maxi and riftan to think more.. Well, as u said to breathe. In order for our lovely couple To understand each other better. In fact It was told in book 2 how maxi learn how hard it feels to miss someone who meant so much to her.. She did learn what riftan once told her the pain he had for missing maxi. N I do understand the hurt riftans felt when maxi choose to leave and it does stab my heart when he said that maxi is not leaving for him but to satisfied her own will.. As he never wish for maxi to leave neither him to leave her... But still on maxi's part she did that coz she deep down she knew how cruel and evil her father is. Sigh.... Anyway.. I do hope the end of book 2 will show a perfect and healthy love condition in both of them. I will cherish more loving experience... the unconditional love and affection and looking forward for happily ever after end.. Of coz with calypse Jr. in the picture too..

8. emptycan_princess

emptycan_princess Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im glad that this forum is heat again with discussions from readers POV after some times. and for me, i dont find both couple wrong or as rude or offensive. i dont know why i felt that i understand them so much, to a point that they both just a victim from their childhood traumatic experience. they never knew what love is and how to express love in a right and ideal way as some readers expect them. they're both just a kid at heart, who need each other. and not just ordinary kid, but a broken one. for me, what they need is time. and so do us, for waiting patiently for the writer to comeback and give us the happy ending we wish for the Calypse family.

9. money

money Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think riftan was obsessive. I can't think of any one person who'd let their partner go to war with only few months of preparation. It would have been unreasonable of him to be obsessed with max's protection, if max had only fallen in minor danger. But she was in grave danger repeatedly. Riftan had to see his own unborn child pass, and the love of his life fighting for her life, so its not unreasonable for him to do everything in his power not to repeat it. I think both of their characters would certainly grow in the future and would h
    Riftan told max he loved her the first night of then reuniting after dragon war. He was so expressive of affection, that even the RDK was surprised in the beginning. He told again and again how beautiful she is, how much he cares for her, he also revealed how he yearned for her when she saw her in Croix castle, how he believes he had nothing to do with her fathers scene( before he knew about abuse). Max in reply never made her feelings clear. The things you mentioned are too infrequent. Is it appropriate for max to only express her love once or twice and when riftan does it so often? As I said before, all the sacrifices she made for riftan, we as readers know she made for her love of riftan. But how would riftan know it? She tells her its because she's a knights wife and because she's worried about him and rdk. She always piles him with Ruth and other rdk. So, its natural for riftan to think its because of max's sense of duty that she does it. He also doesn't know max is jealous, we as readers know it. She expressed how she was jealous of Agnes when she came to Anatol and riftan reassured him. He is rude and cold to Agnes. But even that's not enough to satisfy max. As someone said earlier, the more riftan gives, the more max wants. The rdk know max love riftan because she told them the things about riftan she finds attractive. But she never told that to riftan, she only called him handsome two times after he pressed her. Which was great but as I said they are too rare for riftan to actually believe she's attracted to him. He just thinks she got attached to him. Ruth knows more about her insecurities as max opened up to him about her stuttering and lack of knowledge. She never does that with riftan, sometimes even covers her insecurities. I get she's traumatized but dishonesty is whole other thing. As secretive as riftan is, he reveals his heart when max presses. Max often hides her feelings. He doesn't talk about his past because max wasn't warm enough when he revealed about his mother. But riftan was warm and affectionate when he learned about max abuse. I do think its just temporary. In future chapters max will become better at comforting him as he learns more about him.

dita90, bradpitt69 and Tarnar like this.
  10. Pixelbreeze

Pixelbreeze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well well, I think we shouldn't forget that Max was an abused child she was instilled with the thought that she was useless and she constantly feared that she would be thrown out once her past is revealed. How do you expect her to express her love in that condition? She needed time and care to heal herself. And I would say her character showed huge development, for an abused girl like her, she learned to love properly. She learnt magic so that she could be useful to Riftan, went after him to the war, and was ready to go to world tower. It was her way of showing love. She had nothing to give to Riftan but her hard work, she was ready to throw away her life whenever it mattered to her close ones. Be it her pet dog or her husband. She must have acted immature a bit in book 2 but I totally justify her actions in book 1. She did more than anyone could have done...

11. tickytocky

tickytocky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Riftan was obsessive. There are many signs thru the entire book 1:
    1. He was so mad + fear when he saw Maxi was there during the fake lord invaded Anatol.
    2. He didnt want Maxi to learn magic in the first place, he leave the castle unarmed to cool of his head.
    3. He was so crazy when Maxi depleted her mana for the first time and he wanted her to stop.
    4. He didnt want Maxi to become a healer in the infirmary of Calypse Castle.

All of these was because Riftan couldn't even bear a single dust on Maxi's shoulder, let alone things heavier than that. Of course, these was just a minor one. In our perspective, this is just normal. But things get complicated than that.

1. Riftan was so harsh to Maxi when she wanted to join the expedition as their healer. He was so rude and mad, he didnt returned to their room. Why? Because he thought Maxi couldn't endure the arduous journey. Because Maxi was the daughter of the Duke, where he thought Maxi grew up pampered and spoiled in the castle.

2. When Maxi decided to follow Riftan to Ethylene Castle. Maxi worked nonstop as a healer to cure the soldier during the war. But Richt Breston cause a trouble and insulted Maxi, Riftan was so mad. But he wasn't mad at Maxi, he was mad at himself. Maxi was insulted because of him, thats what Riftan thought. He wanted her to be a safe place. He wanted her to stay still, he didnt want her to see the bloody injuries of the soldiers. He wanted her to wear a comfortable clothes, he wanted to wrap her in silk.

At this point, we can clearly see. If he cant provide for Maxi, he's a failure. It is okay for him to take care of Maxi, but Maxi does not need to take care of him. He doesn't understand why Maxi need to do + suffered all of those hard things. Even Ruth mentioned it himself: "You worked like a servant. Sometimes I couldn't believe you are the Duke's beloved daughter."

The climax point for Riftan's obsessiveness was when Maxi suffered critical injuries during the war. Ruth said "It is the first time I saw Lord Calypse like this. I've known him for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen him so crazy." Again, Riftan was mad, but not because of Maxi, but because of himself. Maxi was there in the battle because of him, Maxi had a miscarriage because of him. He was late to save Maxi, it was his fault. This was whats in his head. Thats the only sole reason he wanted Maxi to leave with Agnes to Drakium Palace. He never wanted to see her in that state again, because of him.

But things got uglier when he saw Maxi got beaten by the Duke. Maxi was just got back from the battlefield, and now she was in a bloody state again. Now at this moment, all hell break loose. Riftan was more obsessive than ever. NO ONE, no one can touch Maxi. He didnt even want Ruth to touch Maxi (to heal her), even when they arrived at Calypse Castle. When Hebaron approached Maxi, Riftan pull her close to him. Riftan even forbids Ruth to check on Maxi.

When Riftan had to cancelled the war with the Duke, Riftan was sad and frustrated. Maxi said he saved her. But Riftan said "Im late.. I always late."

Riftan obsessiveness was at 100%. He abandoned his job as a Commander and as a Lord. He was willing to leave Anatol and RDK, just to be with Maxi. He didn't care for anything else, except for Maxi. He wanted Maxi, only Maxi, to be with him. He will build wall again for her, he will leave Whedon for her. Riftan admitted it himself:

"3 years ago I couldn't get you out of my sight for a single moment. I knew you were suffocating on my actions. But I couldn't control myself. I tried to restrain myself, but if I didn't see you for a moment, I couldn't bear it."

"Even if we did not go through that situation then, my paranoid attitude would have ended up suffocating you."

"But even if I was wrong, I wanted to be with you. To achieve that, I was willing to get rid of everything."

In the end, Maxi's leaving was the wise choice, for him, and for herself. For Anatol and RDK. For Riftan, Maxi leaves him for her own satisfaction. For Maxi, she leaves because she wanted to be a better and stronger person for him. For RDK, Maxi leaves to save their Commander, the knights and Anatol.

12. creams

creams Member

Reading List:
    Link
    one word.
    YES.

Aurora_Lumiere, riftanilian and money like this.
  13. Chikitaki

Chikitaki New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cheers babe. indeed. it's not that Riftan is to be blamed on... he is a great lover No one can deny that fact... including the bedtime activity... Well, I do envy maxi... hahaha. but the fact that riftan is overprotective will somehow kill their love. the break is good... enough for them to value their unconditional love and top of themselves in order to build an healthy relationship. <3

yup... I hope the author will end the misery... I do pray that none of UOT readers is passed (as a matter of fact the never-ending cases of Covid 19) without knowing the end of this lovely couple. :(

acm, shashasha, mj209 and 1 other person like this.
  14. tickytocky

Reading List:
    Link
    Maximilian Calypse, was a timid + naive + weak + absent minded + you name it.

Because she was abused mentally and physically for 20 years. F*****g 20 years (f u Duke of Croix).
    Not only the Duke insulted her, but the servants too! Can you imagine what she had been through her entire life? To be called useless, stupid, not pretty, ugly, ugly, and ugly for 20 years. Even in this modern world, I doubt people would survive 20 years living in hell like that. :blob_teary:

She stuttered so bad, to the point she didnt talk or say a word for a month! She was used to not express herself, or else, people around her would hate everything that came out of her mouth. She was broken and dying inside.

When Riftan said everything lovely about her, she feels that Riftan said that to only to comfort her. She didnt know Riftan deep rooted feelings, she just knew bit by bit. She even found Riftan's taste on woman is a bit weird. Whats fun touching her vine-like hair? What so pretty about her body full of freckles? What so lovely about her turned-red face? You see.. when you were abused and got feed by the negative thoughts for 20 years, you will constantly questioning your husband positive thoughts about yourself.

When she was started to be believe and be comfortable with all the love Riftan gave her, she started to love him back. By helping him, even just a little. Riftan, who grew up by himself, who was used to take care everything by himself, with no one by his side; he couldn't understand this. He couldn't comprehend, why was Maxi needed to do all those jobs? 'You dont have to, I will do everything, I will take care of everything, dont burden yourself.'

In the first place, she learned magic because she wanted to make herself useful, at least in the future, Riftan wont abandoned her. And that was so so sad :blobsob: the yearned for her father and people at Croix Castle to accept her, but they didnt. So she yearned for the people at Calypse Castle to accept her instead.

But the 'useless' feelings started to weigh a little less heavier. She started to feel more comfortable than ever. The more she helped people, the more hungrier and eager she was to help with other matters. To the point she wanted to go on a expedition with RDK.

When Maxi try to break the rock to save Ethylene Castle, she tried it a multiple times, but to no avail. She was losing her mana. She stopped, she knew if she try it one more time, she will depleted her mana. She knew her own condition! She was crying. Ruth, Hebaron, her priestess friends were trapped inside the castle, and yet there she was, barely managed to escape. Her father words about her being useless hunted her again. 'How dare her, trying to break the Ethylene Castle guarding rock which stood still for thousand of years?'

But didnt she came all the way there because she was concerned and worried about Ruth, about her husband, about the rest of RDK? So she decided to tried one last time. She succeeded. She killed a lot of monsters and a necromancer, she saved her friends. But at the cost of losing her unborn child which she didnt know she carried.

At this point, I dont see it as a total reckless from her side. She knew her condition, she knew she will suffer an injury. But her cause to save people was greater than anything else, she couldn't stay still. She has no other option, but to do it. If I was in her shoes, I'll do it too.

In Book 2, when she came back and reunited with Riftan, she didnt expect a warm welcome from him. She expected him to be mad and angry and yell or kiss and hug her. But he didnt. He did neither of that, he was cold, he ignored her, he didnt talk to her. And that made Maxi exploded. Maxi wanted to talk. She just wanted to talk. When Riftan open up to her at the end of Book 1, she was leaving. So this time, she came back, she wanted to continue where they left off.

She wanted him to open up to her one more time. Even if Riftan resented or hate her, she just wanted him to talk. But for 3 years, Riftan concealed his own feelings. Riftan said it himself: 'He was better when he couldn't feel any of it. Then, after killing and killing his emotions, Max went back to shaking it like it was nothing.'

Their relationship will fall apart if they dont talk, Maxi knew this. In Book 2, Maxi was the one who actively convey her feelings. She tried everything. The only way for to make Riftan talk is by making him explode too :blobjoy:

Just like in Book 1, she went to the war because she cant stay far apart from him. And unintentionally, she played a major role in a battlefield and lead the allied forces to win the war.
    In Book 2, she went to war because Riftan was going to war with just a hundred of RDK. She was worried, she fight with him, Riftan can do everything he wants, she can do everything she wants.

Unintentionally, Maxi's role during the investigation, pre-war, during war, post-war was so significant that even the high ranking wizards of World Tower invited her to attend the council for the distribution of war spoils.

P/S: During their first night at the Inn after Riftan came back from the dragon subjugation, Riftan didnt tell her that he loved her. There a mistake in LNH translation. Riftan loved what they did last night :blob_blush: not loved her.

15. Pixelbreeze

Pixelbreeze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well did you realize when Riftan opened up his past he also said "don't touch me! If you come near me again I will lock you up no matter how much you cry" Max tried to console him but Riftan shut her down again. And Max realised that he needed time, to organize himself. All she did was for him, not for herself. Though I agree that she should have at least met him once before leaving, but her choice of leaving him as not at all for herself. It was solely for him. She herself admitted that she wanted to be selfish, she wanted to run away with him without caring about anything. But it wasn't just right. Riftan had lost all his reasons in his love but Max didn't. She saw clearly what the future would hold for them if they left everything like that.

I totally disagree with that. When she testified in front of all the nobles of Whedon, she threw away her pride long ago just to save Riftan. When she returned as a wizard, all she wanted was to be acknowledged by him. Nothing else. She had inferiority complex since birth and now she had pride as a wizard(who doesn't?) I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have liked her if she still were a meek delicate lady?

Can you say that Riftan was any different? He also felt jealous when she tried to help Ruth. And he admitted himself that he knew it wasn't anything like that between them. But he was still jealous. Because he doesn't remember her helping him like a friend. And he knew it that it was solely his fault, for constantly denying her help.

16. tickytocky

Reading List:
    Link
    Agnes said to Maxi:
    Maximilian is talented. The judgment skills and quick concentration Maxi demonstrated in a crisis is a rare quality even in well-trained wizards. If Maxi study properly, she will surely become a great wizard in a few years. Agnes thought it was a waste to spoil that possibility just because Maxi is married.

Entering the World Tower is the most prestigious and proudest moment in a life time for a wizard. It is a Hogwarts after all. If Maxi become a wizard graduated from the World Tower, bad people cant touch her. Maxi has the power to protect herself, because the World Tower will always have her back.

Now who doesn't proud of that??!! I am proud of our girl!! :blobhighfive::blobhighfive::blobhighfive:

She achieved so much, yes. Name, recognition, prestige. She is as famous as her great husband.
    But Maxi never wanted that. She hated it when the bards sing The Red-Haired Lady, she almost died in horror just from listening to that song. Can you imagine what Maxi feels when Idsilla mentioned that they made a theatre play from that story? Hahahahan. Only when Idsilla thank her gratefully for saving her life, did Maxi realized, she really saved her. Not only Idsilla, but many others. I quote:

For a long time, she had firmly thought of herself as insignificant, so it was very difficult for her to believe that she had such an influence on the lives of others. But really she was doing it.

Agnes.

Maxi cant helped it if when she constantly compared herself to Agnes. Why? Because she was constantly compared to Rosetta since she was a child. She was compared by her father and the servants in the Croix Castle. Those inferiority complex won't just disappear in a night. Furthermore, Agnes was offered to her husband, by the king himself. Now who doesn't get jealous? Hahaha.

Maxi said it herself:
    In her head, she knew very well that the two had no relationship. However, every time she saw the two of them standing next to each other, she couldn't help but feel something boil inside her.

'Now, you must get rid of the feeling of inferiority towards the princess. How many times did Princess Agnes encourage and support you? But I'm a bit jealous, how ungrateful I am.'

Maxi knew perfectly clear her jealousy was unreasonable but she couldn't help it. The circumstances between her and Riftan at that time wasn't great, both of them are were not talking to each other, they were in ignored-only talk about war business-mode. Riftan ignored her, thats one of the reason that made her feel that way.

But, Riftan also has a jealousy towards Maxi and Ruth.
    He knew she's comfortable with Ruth, he also knew there is no malice between the two. Still, every time he see her being friendly with him, he felt something is squeezing his stomach.

Those 2 broken people need to talk. Riftan need to open up more about himself, his feelings, his fear, his love. And Maxi need to tell him about her care, her thoughts, her feelings, her love. They both have their own flaws, but we couldn't blame only one of them. Every single action they made, both of them have their own perfect reason.

17. jjcheng

jjcheng Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually Riftan hasn’t said he loves Maxi yet, the “I love you to death” in Book 1 was a translation error, what he actually meant was he loves their night together so much that he is willing to die for it...

Maybe in Book 1 Maxi wasn’t very literal in her feelings but she still constantly shows her affection towards Riftan...For example, author described Max follows Riftan “like chicken follows hen” at the very beginning, she pounce herself into his arms when Riftan was away for 10 days, later she constantly hugs him (which he takes as a seduction lol), and they had a heartwarming time together on the boat trip to Livadon...From the way author describes it, they were very warm and gentle to each other, and they were both so emotional when they parted at Raven.

I honestly don’t think Maxi hides her feelings especially in Book 2.. she made multiple attempts to approach Riftan first, but Riftan (as heartbroken as he is ) was acting so cold throughout the journey, to the point that Annett even suggested Maxi to go back to Nounri because Riftan seems didn’t interested in her.

And it didn’t appear to me that Maxi wants more from Riftan after he gives more...I feel all Maxi wants from Book 1 to Book 2 was to spend more time with Riftan, she wants to be there with him during difficult times. But that’s the only thing Riftan wouldn’t give, he wants Maxi to stay in the castle safely. And this is the main trigger point of their many arguments throughout the book. So I wouldn’t say Max constantly demands more from Riftan.

Also, Maxi trying to hide her insecurities in front of Riftan is a very realistic aspect of this novel..I mean she wants to appear more dignified in front of the person she loves because she was afraid to lose his affection. Considering her past experiences (how she wasn’t loved or cherished by anyone), I think this is a reasonable and natural reaction...those are just my opinions.

18. amylane1023

Reading List:
    Link
    i couldnt agree more....the things they do for each other...thought it confuses...riftan doesnt understand why maxi needs to care and worry for him..maxi, does not understand why riftan always refuses her help...they really need to communicate...

during the pinecone and snowball tantrums of maxi...maxi was more mature..cus she wanted them to talk..she was even prepared of riftans wrath to her....she was like..COME ON RIFTAN GIVE IT TO ME!!!.even she resents and hate her...she just wanted them.to talk...pour their hearts out...

19. money

money Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Max was brave when she was a child, but she could not express her talents when in croix castle because she was abused. But when with Riftan, she quickly became skilled. I think it is a testament of how much Riftan loved her in a short time, that she has healed so quickly. But Riftan is not healed. He is as broken as he was after his mother's death. That is the biggest proof of the imbalance between their love. Riftan loved her enough for her to overcome a lifetime of abuse. If he had received the same amount of love, he too would have been able to overcome his insecurities. She had all this strength innate in her all this time, but could not express it in croix castle. Which tells you that only talent is not enough, you need a good environment to grow. And Riftan provided that for her. He loved her for years without expecting reward, he cared for her day and night, even when max herself didn't know if what she felt for him was love. And she could not even endure only 3 years of him being cold to her. That is the main difference between the devotion of the two.

That's exactly my point, Riftan does not want Max to do anything for him, because Max has never let her know she is doing it out of love for him. He has asked her multiple times why she is doing it, and she answers that she wants to help him and worries for him. It naturally makes riftan feel guilty because if she had married a noble she would not have to do these things. He would be so much at ease if Max had told im that she is doing that because she is in love with him. She could put him out of his misery by telling him she loves her, but chooses to focus on her own goals, her own way of going about things.
    Riftan is not obsessed but deeply in love. There is a difference. It was not logical for Max to go to war with only few moths of training. The RDK wanted her to go because they were desperate enough. And how did that decision go? She almost died. I would like to see how Ruth/RDK would behave if their wives almost died in the battle. I bet they would behave obsessed then as well. Riftan has a harsh way of talking, that is why he refused to marry Max because he knew that she deserved someone gentle. He is not the kind of guy to say sweet words when his loved one is adament to put her life in danger. If Max was matured, she would have accepted Riftan for who he is, and not try to insult him into changing. She said in front of Sejur to Riftan that she was surprised to see a polite Knight. Riftan has a big insecurity with his manner of speech because he is not noble, and speaks very harsh, can not joke or be light hearted like other charming men. And she insulted him with that insecurity. At least Riftan apologises when he offends/upsets Max. Max rarely does the same.

meepmedicine likes this.
  20. amylane1023

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think both of them are healed..they have different ways on how they deal with each others trauma.... maxi wanted to be useful and equipped for riftan...on the other hand riftan does not want maxi to be involve especially in expeditions...I do understand riftans obssessive behavior, it triggers because of maxis near death experiences.. but even HIM admits that his behavior was suffocating maxi and it was not healthy for both of them..that her separation was the best option on that moment..but though he was wrong still he wanted to be with maxi...now that is die hard love...

Arifiana and Flyinghigh79 like this.