Recommend me a laptop?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Between HP Omen 15
    - AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H (up to 4.4 GHz max boost clock, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads),
    - 16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB),
    - NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Laptop GPU (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated),
    - 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 Mini DisplayPort™; 1 HDMI 2.1; 1 RJ-45; 1 AC smart pin; 1 headphone/microphone combo

And Asus TUF
    - AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor 3.2 GHz (16M Cache, up to 4.4 GHz)
    - Memory: 8GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM
    - Storage: 512GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
    - Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060
    or
    Display : 15.6" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Level Anti-Glare Display
    Processor : Intel Core™ i7-11370H Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.80 GHz, with IPU)
    Memory : 8GB DDR4
    Storage : 512GB SSD
    Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6

which one would you recommend? Those two is in my price range. I am from Indonesia, so, other than Acer, asus, lenovo, hp, MSI, xiaomi and apple, I don't think other brand are prominent. I never seen the ad for sony/fujitsu/Samsung/toshiba here. I know they exist though. Perhaps I can scour the marketplace if you think those brands are good.

Nothing more expensive than HP omen I mentioned above, please.
    ignore memory and storage comparison. Asus TUF gaming is cheaper. I'm looking for light gaming, but more ML, so honestly the screen quality is something I can ignore. as for memory, as long as it is upgradable to 32, I'm fine with it.

@xiazixin @runsing

2. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Temen gw pake Asus TUF , ane coba pegel bawa ditasnya bro kalo buat mobile berat.

3. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What a coincidence, recently i bought a laptop too, have yet to be arrived on shipment though. Recently the price of sodimms drops from 2300rmb per 64kit to 2000rmb.
    upload_2021-8-18_20-39-22.png
    upload_2021-8-18_20-40-7.png
    Chassis: X170km-g
    CPU: 11700k,
    GPU: 3070 laptop mxm (3080 is just too expensive.)
    monitor: 4k 60hz 100 argb A+ screen.
    Ram: 64GB (32*2)
    SSD: 128GB sata. SSD is still expensive from chia but is drooping. wait on.

Though comparing the build quality, GPU powers limits and price, the lenovo legion is the best this time round. especially the legion 7.
    what matters is not the specs but build quality.
    Just keep note that 3060 laptop is faster than 3070max-Q.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Shiki likes this.
  4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    omen. if the screen refresh rate is above 122

5. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check if either gpu is maxq if one is pick the other as maxq sucks outside that id say the up 16g ram is better then 8g.

6. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    1440p screens are enough.

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    true, if I'm willing to spent 200usd more I can upgrade to 4k 100ARGB 120hz.

8. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im answering this from the bottom of my heart.

You dont want to buy a 3060 laptop. That thing is a glorified desktop and work 3/4 as well as a proper desktop because there is not enough space inside for ventilation.
    It is going to be heavy and you need to plug it 24/7 because it has 1 hour battery if you game on it.

Buuut, if you must, you are in a tight spot. Hp would have a better build, but it is going to be more expensive to repair. Asus usually has a slightly worse design that can throttle down the computer speed with bugs and such.

The most robust budget laptop ive used is actually a lenovo.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Shiki and Devil Heart like this.
  9. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who used it, this is soooo TRUE
    Please take note
    You cannot bring it anywhere cause it is heavy as hell and mine is bigger than my bag
    And the battery is just sooooo awful, (though it loses battery fast, it charges fast too but I feel like it doesn't make a different) so on top of heavy laptop, you had to bring charger constantly siggghhh
    I'm regretting almost everytime I used it

Shiki and justmehere like this.
  10. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    personally, before looking at other specs, any laptop must pass this one primary requirement for me. whichever of them have two ram slots, will be my choice.

unless there's a newer version, iinm Asus TUF has only 1 slot. the other 'stick' of ram is soldered onboard. on the other hand, HP Omen have two slots. easy pick.

i can tolerate soldered ram if its entry-level, cheap laptop, but for a pricey mid to high-range, no. just no.

Shiki and xiazixin like this.
  11. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the exactly opposite.

I guess X170 isn't for everybody,

Shiki likes this.
  12. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for HP, been using HP ever since I touched a computer and HP never disappointed me.

13. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    The x170 comes with 4slots, which is even better than some low-end desktop.

14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    excellent laptop, that's for sure, but isn't it like 1K usd above OP's budget?

15. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive used and seen plenty of computers. (Hundreds by now)

The common complaints? Laptops would fail on fans and power, sometimes motherboard. The same problems happen, they crampped too many heat generating devices on one small chassis. Most advance laptops wont survive 5 years. After this, even if you want to fix your laptop it would be expensive. My desktop been running 10 years, replacements are still around.

16. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    Skip the TUF.

From the most forum and groups I've read, the cooling is somewhat disappointing since it lacks any direct path of intake from the bottom of the chassis, and that accounts for both version. Not to mention TUF's build quality is... eh, just acceptable.

Grab the Omen.

Shiki likes this.
  17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I would still choose Legion 7 over hp omen 15. HP omen 15 use low powered GPU.

Legion 7 Full vapor chambers for 120w+
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 221220.jpg
    vs
    3 heatpipe. GPU 100wats. and cpu 30wats only.
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 221635.jpg

Choose Lenovo legion 7 won't toddler with even full power 3080. 150w+.
    you loss out 30watts if you buys hp even with same GPU. Edit: just comparing the fins on fans.

All image from youtube. legion 7 3060.

Screenshot 2021-08-18 222355.jpg
    Legion 7 is the few laptop in the word that rarely come about that make many clevo fans not to buy clevo. everyday in clevo chinese tieba, equivalent of reddit. people are saying x170 is doomed if clevo don't brush up in design compared to legion 7 (R9000k).

still don't understand? HP OMEN sucks. with a maximum power draw of 130watts in both CPU and GPU. = having the specs but no power to use it.
    for Laptop, cooling, and powers matters with performance not just the spec sheets like a 3060. better implemented 3060 can have smoother experience compared to 3070.
    Edit: note 3070 is suppose run 140w
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 225042.jpg Screenshot 2021-08-18 225145.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Shiki likes this.
  18. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have latitude 7310 for daily task honestly. I expect gaming laptop for this anyway. I want to build a pc, but I can't do it by myself.
    HP omen 15 is my maximum. Alternatively, gpu + gpu enclosure in that is compatible with dell latitude 7310.

I want a desktop, to be honest. I don't think I dare to make one hanging chassis though. As of now, my bedroom is cramped enough.

Ok. thanks for recommendation.

btw, @Miku is my alternate account.

19. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shiki ,@Miku
    HP omen 15 have a 80w TGP, 100w TGP on dynamic boost.
    The GDDR6 memories took 20w of power, the actual power in gpu is only 80w. If you use it to gaming only, as you have a dell laptop for office work. best avoid this models.
    Get a legion 7, should cost about 1700usd on YouTube review videos. it have a TGP of 130w, essentially 110w on GPU. 110w/80w is a 37% uplift.
    From 3rd party youtube video it's clocking to 1900mhz on 3060. that's well above the spec sheets of Nvidia
    1702 MHz.

upload_2021-8-19_13-38-15.png

Though AMD is out of stock, intel version Y9000k cost 1800usd.
    upload_2021-8-19_13-48-56.png

As my earlier video posted.
    upload_2021-8-19_13-56-1.png
    You should wait and look for AMD versions first. It should cost the same. Don't buy legion 7 that are more, beware of sellers ripping you off.

In china with the same spec above but with 1tb of SSD it cost 1845usd

EDIT: there is stock.
    upload_2021-8-19_14-14-42.png

Shiki likes this.
  20. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to use it for ML (i assume that it is machine learning), i suggest that you use intel with nvidia gpu to make sure that you can use most ML script, because most ML script are using tensorflow, which is more suitable to be used with nvidia's cuda and intel cpu. you can try using AMD GPU/CPU but sometimes the script doesnt work, even if you tried OpenCL library to use both cpu and gpu. also make sure to remember that OpenCL in Nvidia GPU is not as optimised as Nvidia CUDA.

beware though, ML result will vary depended on what kind of hardware you use. A ML with nvidia gpu and intel cpu vs only intel cpu will be different, not to mention if combined with AMD.

instead of looking for laptop to do some ML, you can just build powerfull PC and buy cheap laptop and use remote desktop to do your thing, this will enable you to do other thing when the ML script run instead of not having any pc/laptop to use. ML are resource intensive, you might not be able to do anything with your device when ML script runing.

dont forget to use windows instead of linux if you decide to buy pc/laptop with nvidia gpu, because the nvidia driver in linux sucks.

Shiki and xiazixin like this.