A place to play Mahjong

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a site to play Mahjong that isn't Mahjongtime.com or Mahjong soul (mobile app/Browser site)

Mahjongtime: I have to much to criticize about just using the site or it's downloaded application. It's not bad but I'd rather have something simple and to the point. The game play is alright but The download is graphically intensive and EXTRA while the browser game is just barely useable to me. The main page looks like something you'd see in the late 90's to Early 2000's and works like it too.

Mahjongsoul: I'm not really into Japanese culture anymore and am as far removed from my weeb self as possible. No offense but this game SCREAMS weeb Waifu and Husbando galore! You can't even call it a gotcha as they aren't even trying to hook you with free tokens they make you pay for a new avatar and let the game draw you in. Only f2p is the game itself. This game doesn't allow you to communicate either it's all emotes.

If anyone can recommend me a Mahjong site that is clean modernized place good looking tiles down and have conversations with those you play with so I can improve I'd really appreciate it. These are the only 2 sites I can find and I'm MEH on both.

2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a little simple but it's promising. That being said i only know a bit of Chinese and the fact that it's speaking in it is throwing me off. But to learn the game it seems Perfect

no one I know is interested in mahjong so no chance of me finding out

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  4. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are either of these sites good places to learn mahjong? I've wanted to pick it up but no one really knows how to in my family/are unwilling to teach because it counts as gambling

5. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are looking to learn neither of these sites are the best but Mahjong Soul is probably the most new player friendly while being easy on the eyes. Mahjong Time is just meh...

MS has a very basic tutorial and a list of patterns so it's probably a lot easier.

nyamachi likes this.
  6. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean as long as you don’t bet money it’s just a game, not gambling.

But I get it, my grandpa even calls monopoly gambling :blobjoy:

nyamachi likes this.
  7. Amplify

Amplify Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://tenhou.net/
    This is what we all used before Mahjong Soul rolled around and popularized Mahjong.

kurisomething likes this.
  8. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's what I said! Sigh~

9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Think your family is more worried about you forming a habit through gambling like games rather than worried about the actual aspects of the game.

nyamachi likes this.
  10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't read this, how am i supposed to play it? Is there like a tutorial to change it to English or is there some English text somewhere in the app?

11. Amplify

Amplify Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been there recently but there's bits of English now and there used to be zero English at all. We kinda just learned what each of the buttons etc were from experience and testing them until we figured out what they are. There's now a bunch of English words in there that should make it a lot easier for you if you try.
    http://tenhou.net/0/?L7777
    That's the lobby we used to use with friends, though if you wanna find random games you'll have to find a more populated one.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/manga-translator/oooikipggipaohjibkmoiacmmlilgokn?hl=en
    Maybe some automatic translator that grabs on screen text like that and translates it would work? I have no idea.

12. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You can play Japanese mahjong at the Gold Saucer in FFXIV.

You can also play it through Steam, which can be cheaper for some people if you decide to get the game depending on your regional pricing.

13. cindyalls

cindyalls Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, share some source. I liked this game so much. Haven't played it for ages already.