Discussion Ever weighed pre-packaged food?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dizaster, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's going to be a festival called Rakshabandhan in India soon.
    This in short is a festival celebrating the bond between brothers and sisters celebrated among the Hindus. So on this day the brothers and sister vow to protect and support each other in any dire circumstance. There's an entire set of rituals they perform which can be viewed on the internet but the highlight is the sister tying the rakhi (thread decorated in various ways) on their brother's hands and brothers giving them some kind of gift in return.

Since there's a festival, there's gonna be sweets and what Indian sweets can be made without some dry fruits???
    So couple of days back I was checking out of a grocery store when a man came and started weighing a 500gm bag of pre- packed almonds. And as I turn to see what he's doing, the scale showed 431gms. The guy was so confused that he went and got back another packet but sadly I couldn't watch the rest of the show as I was done and in a rush.
    So have you ever encountered any such thing??

otaku31 and SylviaViolet like this.
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    ....:confusedcatblob:
    Weird

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The package must have gone on a diet. :blobpeek:

Lissi likes this.
  4. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_grin:

otaku31 likes this.
  5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds tasty

Dizaster likes this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And Rakshabandhan is a good time for sisters as they get a legitimate opportunity to make a killing off of brothers while brother-zoning persistent suitors. But what can we brothers do? Our hands are tied, literally. :blobpeek:

Dizaster and Xertz like this.
  7. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the air that escape from the bag
    :blob_grin::blobpeek:

8. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess sweets w/o dry fruits you can try
    Ras malai, ras gulla ,gulab jamun , gazrella w/o dry fruits , pumpkin halwa w/o dry fruits .
    If you want to DiY I guess try gazrelaa, pumpkin halwa, suzi ka halwa (dry fruits are optional in above ones) and gulab jamun( instant ones)

9. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    In some cases, if you get something like a 1/2 lb burger, the weight will refer to the pre-cooking weight, and cooking will lower the weight significantly. Though I've heard that in Medieval times, when bakers would make a dozen rolls out of 1 lb of dough and call it 1 lb, the king made some law that it would have to weigh 1 lb after baking, so they would throw in another roll to match up, hence the "Baker's dozen"
    On the other hand, many products in the EU have a round "e" shape that denotes that the actual mass of the product is within a range of the listed amount, though I don't know what the range is.

10. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [/QUOTE]Since there's a festival, there's gonna be sweets and what Indian sweets can be made without some dry fruits???
    So couple of days back I was checking out of a grocery store when a man came and started weighing a 500gm bag of pre- packed almonds. And as I turn to see what he's doing, the scale showed 431gms. The guy was so confused that he went and got back another packet but sadly I couldn't watch the rest of the show as I was done and in a rush.
    So have you ever encountered any such thing??[/QUOTE]

I've been saying that about things like chips for years, I remember when I was really little, and I mean like around kindergarten or first grade age, you'd get a large bag of Lays that could easily be shared by a family of four for a few days and it was like an inch from the top or the fingers of a child that age in depth from the top, but each year there is nearly an inch less chips and more air, I figure by 2035 it will just be air at this rate (and still weigh the same on the package as it has my whole life) and feel like a balloon (which it does now any way). I mean I had just seen a 3 year old go in to one of those large bags up to his shoulder to just get a few chips and it was a fresh opened bag just to get those few chips. I know that isn't the only product like that out there, just the easiest example I can think of

Dizaster likes this.
  11. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to can goods, the water and the can's weight is also added to total weight

12. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it dried more..
    That's why..

13. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    71eUZxcNGUL._SL1500_.jpg
    It was literally this kind of bag, just a different label. What water and stuff, there's nothing in there of that kind.

Trust me, they can't keep almonds on shelves for so long. That's almost 70gms of lost product. I have some dry fruits from last year and they still weigh the same. I had them in the fridge the whole time

I am talking about plain almonds without shells.

I am talking about plain almonds without shells.
    There are many sweets that can be made without dry fruits but they just won't look as good without that bit of decor on top.

14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    The only things I eat prepackaged are yogurt and ramen cups. I usually cook.
    I buy ball of meat and chicken and put them on the slicer and separate into zip lock bags and stock the freezer for the month. I also buy fish, but buy for the month to change from chicken and beef to fish to balance the diet.

there are other things I like to prepare for example during deer season I will hunt a deer and then take what I like and give some to friends and family.
    I either hunt or buy a few rabbits too.
    and during Christmas we kill a goat and that's always tasty towards the new years there always some left over which is good.

Dizaster likes this.
  15. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, they do the same on can goods

16. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't buy any canned food unless hurricane is near. I usually use pressure cooker to make beans instead of buying canned since I can season them myself.

17. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you pick the nuts off of trees? What about sugar? Salt???
    I am talking about these, otherwise all other items we use are homemade.
    As for preserved ones, we usually make dried kebabs, indian mango pickle, murkul etc and also freeze some veggies like corn and peas when they're in season. Rest of the time we eat fresh home cooked meals made out of veg, eggs, mutton, beef، chicken or fish

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  18. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I buy fresh corn as for salt I do buy, but I don't use much sugar maybe if I make lemonade. we have fresh fruit and vegetables here so I don't have to buy frozen food. when I was in new york I did have to buy more frozen food, but down here there is a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I am not use to frozen produce so it doesn't taste good to me.

Dizaster likes this.
  19. osieorb18

osieorb18 Queen of Sugar

Reading List:
    Link
    Often especially with packaged foods, the weight is based on the package WITH ice, or BEFORE it loses some density to some form of aging or other.

Dizaster likes this.