Discussion Pet naming sense of novel characters

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bad Storm, Aug 20, 2021.

?

Are their naming sense bad and is it funny?

1. Yes and yes, definitely hilarious

16.7%
  2. Yes and not at all

20.8%
  3. Their naming sense is good enough for me

37.5%
  4. I wish it was better

25.0%
  5. unopinionated potato

12.5%
  6. *noms skullie*

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But tbh, those simple names actually has its own advantages, especially in long novels and ongoing ones. Most of the time, readers forget who is who and what is what, so having those simple names remind the readers of their role.

We have a cat back then, my brother named him "VIRGIL", if I remember correctly, he got it from a computer game. A few years after, we had a tenant named "VIRGILIO", his nickname is also Virgil. One time my mom was calling our cat to feed him, of course my mom called our cat by his name. But then, our tenant virgilio heard it and misunderstood that my mom was calling him. Do you know how awkward was it to the people involved when it was said, " I was calling the cat".

So simple naming is actually pretty useful, it prevents those awkward moments, and in terms of novel, its easier to remember their roles by having their names describe what are they or whom are they.

2. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally think that the reason the characters "have a bad naming sense" is just so that the author can have a bit of elbow room for not having to come up with unique names for tons of characters... it's hard to name things... more than people might think... :bloborz::bloborz::bloborz:

3. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, may be funny at China and I try to ignore it, but something that makes me mad is naming as reference to earth like "Jack Sparrow", "Decepticons" and so. Actually, anything which mess up with the world settings makes me drop, but them like it.