Recommendations Ahoy! Any sea faring novel anywhere

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by superzeno, Oct 1, 2016.

1. superzeno

superzeno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've finally caught up with one piece, but it just leave me with a hunger for more sea faring stories. So im looking for any naval novels, web novels, books, or fanfiction from anywhere with a badass captain, guns, and ship battles. Bonus if the side characters are badass aswell

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS has an arc with it, but for the most part its minimal with any true sea faring. (for games I would try assassins creed: Black flag. Truly an enjoyable time on the sea, spent a couple+ hours a day just voyaging around, attacking ships, plundering and just listening to the shanties.)
    http://www.bookmarksmagazine.com/101-crackerjack-sea-books/dean-king
    The link above may help.

4. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Though it's for a short time, it seemed like the GM that tripped to another world had fun on a boat. Sorry, I forgot the title... I had read the raws after reading two/three translated chapters...

5. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    I read that title in a pirate voice...

6. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Horatio Hornblower (by C.S.Forester)
    The Requiem Shark (by Nicholas Griffin)
    Aubrey-Maturin series (by Patrick O'Brian)

7. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rescue that witch, Not focused on the sea but there's a little of it

8. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might check out the Horatio Hornblower series. They're an older series of books, and I haven't read them myself, but I saw the TV series and it was really well done. The story of a British naval officer during the Napoleonic Wars and his rise through the ranks.

Another series that has naval aspects to it is Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series. The first book doesn't have much to do with boats, but the second book had a whole pirate fleet arc that made for a good read. It's a really interesting series anyway, something like a fantasy Ocean's 11. "Clever" doesn't quite encapsulate just how clever it is. The entire series is fantastic, so definitely read the first in order to get to the second.

You also might check out Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders Trilogy, story about living ships. I haven't read it myself, but I've read a lot of Robin Hobb's other books and they're really well written. It's all part of one giant series, and I'm not sure where exactly the Liveship Trilogy falls within the series chronologically, but I think it works as a stand alone. Give it a go.

Another one is Will Wight's Of Sea and Shadow. It follows the story of a ship captain who finds himself stuck in the middle of a massive conspiracy that could topple an empire. An interesting series, where he wrote two standalone novels from opposite sides of a great war. Of Shadow and Sea is it's counterpart that's from the point of view of an assassin in the same time and place. Will Wight's a fantastic author, and if you haven't read his Traveler's Gate Trilogy then you're seriously missing out. One of the best new fantasy series I've come across.

Also check out Joe Abercrombie's Half a King, the first in a trilogy where the MC becomes an oar slave aboard a slaving ship. It was done really well and might scratch that itch you're looking for.

9. Fig pluckers son

Fig pluckers son Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Harem Pirates?, might be too much seaman though..novelupdates.com/series/harem-pirates/

10. totmes

totmes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can offer only naval mangas as more known kancolle series (while never read myself) and my personal recommedation Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio

11. superzeno

superzeno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do they have and pisotls uses

12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders. Pretty solid as are most works in the main sequence. Probably should read the Farseer trilogy first though.

I also recommend the Chathrand Voyage series by Robert V.S. Redick. It's a good fun read in the vein of classic fantasy about people aboard a really large, really old, and really magical ship. There will of course be a world-ending threat for our young protagonists to solve.

superzeno likes this.
  13. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably? I think they do. They're all pretty swashbuckly.

14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    superzeno likes this.