Discussion Ever laughed in pain.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dizaster, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever been in a situation where you were in extreme pain but instead of crying or screaming, all you could do was laugh heartily. It kinda makes you look scary / crazy but that too is an expression of pain and agony.
    I remeber there was a korean palace drama where ML was disfigured by his own mom and lost the right to throne, the MC was transmigrated from 21st century helped him conceal it with makeup. She used to have fragments of future scenes in dreams and once she saw him laughing crazily after killing off his last brother. This caused her to misunderstand him and she felt repulsive towards him for a long time. Only when she encountered the real situation did she realis that his maniacal laughter was not a celebration for gaining the through but the anguished cry over his helplessness and the ridiculousness of the situation. Even though it's been a long time since I've watched that drama and Don't even remember it's name but that laugh is forever etched in my memory.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the pain felt is mild, I wince. When the pain gets unbearable, I laugh. Is it hysteria and mania, I wonder or some coping mechanism? Am I literally laughing my pain away?

3. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I laughed every time I stepped on my sprained foot once. Good times.

4. Haniyeh

Haniyeh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that's "Moon Lovers".
    I remember crying over that scene. It was really heartbreaking.

And about your question, I laugh when I am overly stressed but not from pain.

Dizaster likes this.
  5. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, my family was like wtf when I was on the floor clutching my stomach and laughing hysterically.

Dizaster likes this.
  6. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean at the funeral or when you murder someone you care about? Yes. (Not the the murder though cause I’m not going to risk it)

7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Over ten years ago, my gallbladder surgery went kinda wrong, and I ended up having to have a bag in my side for a week. Mf was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced, because of it even breathing was painful. My mom’s way of coping with my being in pain was… making me laugh. She just could not compute for a few days that by doing that, she was actively making my pain hundreds of times worse. It was horrible. I had to beg and plead with her to stop trying to make me laugh.

Baldingere likes this.
  8. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is. The funny bone.

9. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, same reason as this:
    Probably not half as dramatic as the show you watched, but my cousin did give me funny looks like she was scared I had gone off my rocker.

Dizaster likes this.
  10. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember laughing quite a bit through times during pain. My most prominent memory from the top of my head was after some 'friends' dropped me during high school. I could not help but laugh at the cruelty of their ''reason'' and the ridiculousness of the situation itself as they left.

*Another good one was when our family went on an outing to the mall, and our father held opened the door as we all walked in. There at the entrance was a rather young woman, and she laughs brightly and says, "Aww, it's nice to see a dad taking his kids out and still seeing gentlemen hold doors open for others!"
    I immediately laughed in pain at the irony of that as we walked by, and just felt like my heart had been stepped on.

He did not deserve such compliments from a stranger, and I wish he'd have felt some guilt or shame after hearing that, but I'm sure he just found it annoying or humorous in a twisted way.

*The man who raised us doesn't even deserve the honourable title of a father, and this was ironic in the way of a messed up situation because he was nothing like a father figure, but more as a man that just made his children grow up too fast and made everyone's life hell.

Baldingere and Dizaster like this.
  11. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My situation wasn't as extreme as yours but the time I laughed like that was when my anxiety, depression and adhd all decided to attack my life and I had started isolating myself, stopped studying even though I was an honour student, stopped going to college and just kept myself locked in for hours without food and water. At that time, even though we had consulted a psychiatrist, I was told i am absolutely fine. My parents one day decided to corner me and question me till I told them what was wrong. I was feeling suffocated and frustrated and confused. Everyone was like there's nothing wrong with her, she's just being stubborn.
    That day I was coaxed, screamed at, cursed, beaten, emotionally black mailed. At the end I was just sitting huddled in a corner, smiling creepily, watching their performance as tears kept rolling down my cheeks.
    My family loves me and I love them but that day and a few more such episodes broke my emotional trust in them.
    Depression to me is like quicksand easy to slip in but takes a lot of will power, courage and determination to get out.

Baldingere likes this.
  12. Muskanoo

Muskanoo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I laughed mostly to show that I am happy but I am not
    So for me it's the extremely painful thing to show some one that you are always fine but you are not.
    And the most valgar is that you have to laughing despite of your will.
    This is the most heart breaking thing
    Which I wish no one can ever experience.

Dizaster likes this.
  13. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    laughed when accidentally dropped a wooden board and broke a nail. mom thought i was crazy.

Dizaster likes this.
  14. Silver Compass

Silver Compass Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I once got hit by a car and had an open wound on the back of my right thigh. After it got stitched, I learnt from my mother -who is a former doctor- that I was basically a guinea pig for a trainee doctor/nurse, and I realized it as well because I could feel that a majority of the anesthetic leaked away from my thigh when it was being stitched.

When we got back home and my mother talked about this, I chuckled. I wasn't exactly angry at the trainee doctor/nurse, because I know that the best way to learn is through live practice, but I couldn't help but think: "Frick, I was unlucky!"

I don't recall any moment when I was laughing when something exceptionally bad happened to me. My wallet once got stolen during work, and it was found on the ground outside the building.

I was most definitely angry to the point where I declared that I was willing to murder whoever stole my wallet.

In the end it turns out that an acquaintance of my colleague stole it, and she offered to pay back the money. I never heard any news from the thief ever since. (No, I did not kill him.)

My point is: I am definitely not laughing when I am emotionally hurt.