Japanese I reincarnated but will try to live without using my cheat ability

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by gautam1989, Aug 26, 2021.

1. gautam1989

gautam1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alternate Names:
    Tensei Shita Kedo Cheat Nouryoku wo Tsukawanai De Ikite Miru
    転生したけどチート能力を使わないで生きてみる

Publisher: Kakuyomu

Novelupdates: https://www.novelupdates.com/series...l-try-to-live-without-using-my-cheat-ability/

Raws: https://kakuyomu.jp/works/1177354054895165699

Manga Adaptation: https://mangadex.org/title/03bd8b58...do-cheat-nouryoku-wo-tsukawanai-de-ikite-miru

Cover Illustration:
    [​IMG]

Description:

A middle-aged Japanese man was reincarnated as Alfredo, the third son of a prominent noble family in a fantasy world.

He was meant to be a template hero who was told by God to use his cheat ability and change the world. But God later realised that he made the wrong choice. He chose a guy who is too clever and calculating.

'Why should I use my cheat because you told me to?'

'Nothing is more expensive than a free gift. It would be awkward to live like that.'

No, I don't want to be a hero or a harem master.

Why It Should Get Picked Up:

On the surface this is a territory development Isekai.

But the author is extremely detailed and makes some bold, original storytelling choices.

First, the MC, inside his young body, is a very intelligent and shrewd old man. He believes that his situation as an Isekai hero with cheat powers and harem sounds too good to be true. He realises that there are too many mysteries and contradictions about this world he's in and that the 'Church' that represents God and follows God's 'Apostles' like himself is corrupt. So he refuses to reveal his powers and become the 'Apostle' and instead quietly develops his territory while investigating these secrets.

In fact he completely refuses to use his cheat ability and does not fight at all. Instead his main asset is his intellect and the knowledge and experience he's brought from the modern world. He doesn't do anything cliche like introducing modern inventions, but uses his knowledge to govern well and deal with political and military challenges. The author spends hundreds and hundreds of chapters writing about policies(Taxes, trade, education etc), political struggles, plots, wars etc. in detail.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  2. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Out of curiosity what are his cheats, is he ever forced to use them?

3. gautam1989

Reading List:
    Link
    Raw, destructive magic power. There are stories about past Apostles singlehandedly defeating entire armies, destroying cities etc. The fact that there's such a hidden dark aspect to the history of the Apostles is one of the main reasons Alfredo refuses to be one.

In almost 700 chapters he's only ever been in one fight directly. There are strong story reasons for why he shouldn't use his cheat so he never does even in situations where he or people he cares about are in danger.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  4. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it makes sense that he wouldn't use a cheat if it is literally the equivalent of a tactical nuke. Actually if you think about it most isekai stories have similarly dangerous cheats, and those protagonist use them without ever having to worry about collateral damage.

5. gautam1989

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually now I recall there are other abilities too. Like the Apostle can give a power boost to women who are his wives/partners, the land where he lives becomes more fertile, he can create magical tools etc.

But MC refuses to use his power in any of these ways. I don't want to give spoilers but the reasons for not using it become clear over time as he uncovers the secrets behind this world.

6. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh now that is intriguing, so it is more than just not wanting to cause wanton destruction. I hope this gets picked up now, because I'd like to see what sort of sinister machinations are going on with the cheats.

7. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    i tried to MTL binge the novel, but... it just doesn't work.
    its like the template of the website is different and its making a mess on Google translate algorithm.
    author style on his work is also one of the causes maybe.
    for example a chat text that's supposed to be like this
    「Example 1, Example 2, Example 3」
    Instead he do it like this
    「Example 1,
    Example 2,
    Example 3」
    the whole experience is tiresome. but thats what you get for doing MTL i supposed, but still.... i hope someone can give some suggestion to MTL on kakuyomu. its unfortunate that the author doesn't post it on syosetu.
    and also this is my second experience in MTL-ing on kakuyomu, the first one being Fake Saint of The Year and i tell you the MTL exp on that is not that bad, so i dunno if its just me being inexperienced or its just that there is something wrong with kakuyomu website itself or it just the author.

8. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you tell how much it focus on harem/romance and other stuff.

9. gautam1989

Reading List:
    Link
    It plays a role. There's slow but considerable development over hundreds of chapters.

10. gautam1989

Reading List:
    Link
  11. shiro3001

shiro3001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    gautam1989 likes this.
  12. gautam1989

Reading List: