Discussion Are sport anime targeting a specific gender?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by leo.d., Aug 25, 2021.

?

Do you enjoy watching sport anime?

1. Yes and I'm male

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes and I'm female

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Nope

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was talking to a friend and mentioned my love for sports anime. She made a curious comment that they are specifically targeted towards female for shipping purposes. I never thought of it that way before and I generally assume a bunch of guys watch them too. I understand that some are targeted like yuri on ice and free! but others/most don't seem that way to me. I also know there are a bunch of doujinshi for a lot of sports anime but there are doujinshi for everything. The people are horny. I know a few guys who like haikyuu but is that a one off? So what is your take? Are sports anime intentionally marketed or targeting a female audience?

HNCKrstl likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the characters are all beautiful males and theres no love interest for the protagonist then yes its targeting the rotten audience

Alixiron, Nana24, HNCKrstl and 6 others like this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really? But yeah, like @canaria23 said, it's kinda depends on how are:
    - the characters pictured
    - the story build up

May/may not be a good example, but:
    - I saw once a furry ice skating comic on webtoon once that literally screaming BL & I didn't even suspicious that the first character is actually a guy
    - there also a ton of androgynous characters (damn, I only know that Andromeda Shun from Saint Seiya is a guy after I was late in college & I watched the series while in mid-school ^^i )

4. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to like some, like "Captain Tsubasa" and "Slam Dunk" but not anymore XD

5. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "tsubasa" should been targeting boys
    while "mila" was more aimed at girl imho
    sailor moon was for me "girls stuff"
    identification with the characters might be the main point
    thought ppl are differnt and so are their tastes

not only the gender but even country might play a role in the sports stuff as they have different preferences
    ppl are horny ? than they wouldnt watch a sports anime but probably an ecchi sports anime for being ecchi not for being sports
    as for the targeting some are, some arent. If you accept some stereotypism: racing, boxing, soccer etc might nor primary aimed at female audience while iceskating horsebackriding etc might be. thats just the kind of sports -animation style, or gender of the main charakters might play an equal big role

6. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    bruh look at the anime Keijo, its basically girls fighting with their butts and bewbs

7. cupboardbee

cupboardbee Not Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the sportsmanship and camaraderie thing going on that leads people on hdhss
    I think it's more that males don't like watching anime sports, could it because it has a narrative?
    Older sport anime does have more male audience than more recent ones
    Initial D, this is sport anime right?, Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo, and the only one I somewhat watched is Slam Dunk and it does have a narrative, so I can't really say, I wonder what anime shifted the 'target audience' I wonder if it's Prince of Tennis lol

After reading other replies: art style must have played a role

8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    10 or so years ago, yeah i'd say a lot were targeted more towards the fujo market. in the past couple of years, there's been a small boom in all-female character sports anime that attract those looking for girls doing sports as well as those looking for yuri subtext.

Honestly, i personally find sports anime more interesting with all female cast. the presented sports tend to be a more diverse crowd of sports and activities compared to all-male sports anime which tend to focus on the real prominent, 'classic' sports.

In general, most sports anime these days are targeting one or the other audience whereas the quite older sports anime were the more 'old school shounen' style

S4TY4 likes this.
  9. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that, Content targeting Females have enough fan service to attract 'other' fanatics too. This may or may not include upskirt shots to attract males, yuri/yaoi love interest to attract homosexuals, etc.

For example, sailor moon is targeting females, but has enough fanservice to keep males interested to watch it with their girlfriend.

10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Koroko is god. :D:D:D

11. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime in general is a business. And like every business, it has a target audience. I don't watch anime anymore but if there is a strong demand among the audience then there will always be anime that is released for them.

12. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much... it's the reason why their target audience, excluding the age bracket, can be divided into boy, girl & lgbt.
    However, I'd say sports anime is more targeted on straight male audience or maybe that's because most of what I watch is either shounen or seinen.

13. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Sports is definitely not targetted at male or female if we look at things as a whole though there are more then likely some that are targeted.
    I remember both Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu were popular among male friends even many of whom didn't usually watch anime when they first came out.
    Some others that I felt were more male targeted that come to my mind are Megalo Box, Major, Eyeshield 21 and Diamond no Ace though some of those are relatively old.
    Reminds me to rewatch Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue and finish Diamond no ace too...

14. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    hee... as fanfiction reader... there's a lot of BL for hot male cast in sport anime/manga with the theme of friendship and comradery? The female cast in those sport anime/manga is nonexistent.

Compare series like Diamond no Ace, Prince of Tennis and Kuroko no Basket to something like Baby Steps. There are just so many BL in the former ones.