"Why you even read novels"

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LolMania, Aug 25, 2021.

1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Different media engage the senses in different ways and that's why they are not direct replacements for one another. Reading is an active experience because you have to constantly pay attention to the words and you get to control how quickly you read and the act of turning the page (or scrolling down) enforces this. Anime and film are passive experiences because you don't have to do anything once you start the video - your purpose here is to to just soak in the experience. And as enjoying each medium feels very different then it should be obvious that people get different things out of them.

There are exceptions to this of course. For instance, I can't see the point of reading "Konosuba" because the anime does a way better job of bringing the story and the characters to life. Reading about Aqua sticking herself in a cage falls way short of seeing and hearing her experience. I don't even watch anime any more but I'll still watch this. Still, given how good this anime production is, it's pretty clear that this is a rare exception to the general rule.

LolMania likes this.
  2. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that you answered your own question but maybe didn't realize(?) it. Its simple. Because there is no limit to your imagination. Words like 'perfection' could be interpreted differently by everyone based on their aesthetics. Phrase like, "Cloudy mists snaking around the mountain tops" would give us all different images in our heads. Its to do with imagination, it has no boundary when you read novels but when you watch an anime then its straight up cut-out for you.

That's one, secondly. Novels are always way more detailed as compared to their manwha, manhua or manga adaptations. The Animes are even further shortened to compact the gist of it.

Third and last reason. The vibes! Novels give a vibe that is a lot different from their webtoon or anime adaptations. I think that this point is sort of pushing it but if you combine the first and second points I made then you'd notice that the novels feel very different. Esp. if you really enjoyed the content, someone who has read the Novel will always prefer the Novel. Whereas someone who has watched the anime version or read the webtoon would be pleasantly surprised to read the Novel.

LolMania likes this.
  3. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My journey: anime & fanfic to mangas & novels (anime release date too slow) to novels in NU (when I've realised that there are BL novels)
    There is no need for a reason, all is for your interest. Moreover, my friends are in the interest of something. That's their interest, & this's our interest. Ex: k-pop. U ask your k-pop friend to drop BTS, why they spend countless of money to buy their merch. It's unreasonable to do that. As they are your friends, they should support your interest. (Just like I went to an anime store to see the goods, we also go to their interest stores to see) There are some novels with drama adaptations, u can hang out at your friends' place & open Netflix to watch, to get a feel of it [U know The Untamed? It's a TV series & can watch on Netflix. - & the novel is The founder of Diabolism.]

In the past, we had lessons together, sometimes, I would read the novels & borrow their notebook for the notes. They ask, so I just describe the plot. Then, talks about a novel that I've recently read/liked. My friends knew I like all of these, & I've friends who are into anime/mangas/dramas, etc. There's no need to argue about it, & I introduce anime characters to them to let them know.

LolMania likes this.
  4. LolMania

LolMania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes there are exceptions like that, its very funny in anime version.

YESSS! The vibes are different, I was reading a novel call My House of Horrors, it's funny as well as scary, I almost dropped my phone one time in night reading it, every novel has unique vibes

Niceeee, hmm i heard of that novel somewhere, I will give it a try, and you got great guys to share your favourite great!

Nana24 likes this.
  5. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    The most simple answer that I can give to this question is, "Imagination can be a lot more amazing than any kind of art or graphics".

LolMania likes this.
  6. LolMania

Reading List:
    Link
    (≧∇≦)/ Many things that we see now were only imagination in some person's mind, I totally agree, it's powerful

7. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just ask them why they do their hobbies. Do they play video games? Why when it’s just a waste of time and nothing in video games is real. Do they watch tv? Why when tv is the biggest waste of time ever just sitting there like a couch potato. Do they browse YouTube? Why because youtube is basically tv on your phone/computer.

everything boils down to a simple “because it’s fun and I enjoy it” you read because it’s fun, people play video games because it’s fun, people collect stamps or rocks or whatever because it’s fun and they enjoy it. It’s that simple.

LolMania likes this.
  8. LolMania

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehhhh they watch Netflix series hehe, Yes your words sound accurate with a reasonable comeback. Thanks! I am ok now it's very pleasant to see all you guys supporting each other.

Owl Escapee likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Coz I like reading them?

Owl Escapee likes this.
  10. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's my only hobby, the only thing I do truly for me.