Female Characters in Cultivation Novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Aug 19, 2021.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I wish authors would simply label them Harem Member #1, Harem Member #2 and so on, according to their hierarchy in the protagonist's harem instead of naming them; Chinese names are hard to remember. And include their description in footnotes instead of in the text proper. It'd also be nice if authors were kind enough to let us know beforehand the no. of slots in the MC's harem so that I can know how many women the MC will honor by letting them into his exclusive club.

I'm sick of walking black-hair-cascading-down-slim-back-like-waterfall-to-willowy-waist-extending-to-mouth-watering-slim-legs-ending-in-dainty-feets. How can authors use so many adjectives for beauty yet manage to sound icky enough to make my skin crawl give me goosebumps? Must be superior writing skills, which not being an author of any note, I fail to appreciate.

And why even give women speaking parts? It's so cringey watching them say nothing of value while the MC interacts with their boobs. Besides, everyone knows women should be seen and not heard. Scratch that. Women shouldn't be seen, either, for their own safety, ofc. Women's dominion is the private sphere, not the public one. The MC should keep them safe from covetous male gazes, sequestered away in his seraglio. That would also solve the problem of frequent kidnapping they seem subject to.

I would like to conclude by saying female characters in xianxia possess a degree of freedom incompatible with the backdrop. Since xianxia borrows heavily from historical settings where orthodoxy was the watchword, xianxia females should be more reserved. Heck, they shouldn't even make an appearance, and go about their lives as the proper, little wives supporting their husband from the shadows as women ought to be. I see no other way I can tolerate female characters in xianxia harems. Ciao! :blobsalute:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, this is the way to go~ :blobtaco:

3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop reading xianxia and you will be fine XD

Dr_H_16 and otaku31 like this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    because only this sentence is about 20 chinese character, write it 100 times, and you have a 2000 character chapter and they are done for the day....

Owl Escapee and otaku31 like this.
  5. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't show up and tempt the "young master", how is the plot ever going to move forward, huh? You're underestimating the importance of the harem members. If they're removed from the novel, there would only be 1 arc left, the final boss.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Wing0, Shio and otaku31 like this.
  6. Bobwillrule

Bobwillrule Supreme Ruler of Bobylon

Reading List:
    Link
    Also the Mc needs a goal too. Like oh I'll save harem member #1 in my second Life...

otaku31 likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it kinda weird cuz on china movie there hmm culture or subculture where female character is beautiful, charming and can kick your butt since long time ago, fighting women~

but on popular xuanhuan after meet MC they become sheep.... seriously the harem need someone on Novem x Miranda catfight to smack the MC~ Mr Lyle need friends ya know~ to share the nightmare of so called "capable women" on harem~

maybe there exist such story but not translate yet~

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Women in most Chinese stories have a very important role. First, they use their beauty to tempt rich young masters to pursue them which forces the MC to come into confrontation with the rich young masters. Second, they get to reluctantly fall in love with the MC which motivates the MC to rapidly level up so he can leave their area to level up in the next woman's area. Finally, they may become important for a later chapter when they are kidnapped by a powerful female cultivator, relative, or sect which promises to give them to the MC if certain conditions are met (ex: get to Earth Pouding King level!)

Wing0, Shio and otaku31 like this.
  9. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and this is exactly why I can't read a lot of novels on this site... I wouldn't be doing anything other than torturing myself.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I let my hair grow long, down to around shoulder length. Rather uncomfortable when sleeping and also when I pull it above so it wouldn't be underneath, still uncomfortable. My respect for anyone with hair length below their shoulders. Especially for those bleached-skins-with-flowing-black-rivers-of-hair-and-soul-piercing-mesmerizing-eyes-you-cant-look-away.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  11. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Silly MCs, by getting together with the female characters they're exposing their harem to us, the readers, and everyone knows NUF users are lecherous perverts.

To protect their harem better the MCs should only romance male characters throughout the plot.

theilikepie and otaku31 like this.
  12. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few cultivation stories where that doesn't happen... though most of them aren't harem stories.

The first that sprung to my mind is Undefeated God of War, the main driving force of which can be simplified down to "MC has a girlfriend. Girlfriend ends up leaving to go home due to family issues. MC chases after her as soon as he can. Somehow he ends up in all sorts of messes and ends up becoming slightly more powerful, possibly, than his girlfriend, who the author wasn't willing to meet the MC mostly because she was more powerful than the MC but cares for him as much as he cares for her". No harem, just a guy getting more powerful and a reputation as being OP as he tries to find his girlfriend who's keeping a lower profile despite being stronger than him and an army as big as his.

There is also an English Original Cultivation novel that's over 2000 chapter's long that does have a harem that's female members actually matter to the plot and aren't interchangeable *beautiful* blank screens meant only for reader's to insert themselves into the MC's position during "nightly activities". It's called Reaper of the Martial World, and fulfils most of the standard cultivation tropes in a way that's just a little off-centre enough for it to be interestingly different from most cultivation stories, while still having the same overarching plot of a standard cultivation novel when looked at from a far enough distance. It is not yet finished.