This was a predictably boring read

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I admit that I did not know much about China thanks to it being a closed country
    But we have known about the Japanese issue for years and to a lesser extent the South Korean one
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/28/economy/china-japan-korea-youth-intl-dst-hnk/index.html

But the issue of South Korea basically turning into Japan is quite shocking and it is for very different reasons: Safety fears
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/11/asia/south-korea-dating-intl/index.html

The dating course in college was a bit amusing

I wonder if other Asian countries have the same "'lying flat' or 'resignation generation' issue.
    I am also curious why more are not studying abroad? If you can finish in the top 0.37% in your school then you can get a college scholarship to a college or even study for free in Europe

I was disappointed that Gu Hara or Sulli wasn't mentioned in the second article only to discover that their suicides happened after:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/30/...sures-goo-hara-sulli-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

@otaku31 @Lissi @sjmcc13 @samia zahin @asriu

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Paps, Gadget and Harry like this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    for one to score top 1%, they are either incredibly gifted or spend a lot of time and effort studying
    and as you stated, 0.37%. that's an even smaller number
    I just read the article, so here is additional input:
    I want to be able to do a job that earns me money in the future, and it has been ingrained in me through education that to do so, I must have a high degree. even if I'd like to "lie flat", it is not really possible considering my future life. I'd like to enjoy my life doing the bare minimum, sure, but what will I do if I lose my job, if I retire? my government does not pay for retirement and unemployment. plus, family and society simply pushes youths to follow suit, and once those youths grow up, its a same cycle of forcing the younger generations to work hard all over again

3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant to say scholarship to college
    I think it is a lack of information.
    I also think we need to foster an entrepreneurial spirit.
    Instead of training people to work jobs, people need to be trained to start businesses.
    It is not sustainable to keep training people to fill job positions when you are not creating jobs

Baldingere likes this.
  4. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Current waves of feminism movements turns younger generation of women into toxic wenches in relationship. I wouldn't blames the younger generation of men's for turning away from having relationship especially when they can occupy themselves in ever more expansive hobbies than spent themselves on relationship that didn't exactly made them happy.

Wing0, Gadget and Harry like this.
  5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    entrepreneurs in East Asian countries are quite little in numbers...
    the education system and society simply does not give chances to innovate. even with attempts to increase openness and to get more entrepreneurs, it isn't working very much. plus the fact that covid has come at this timing has worsened the situation.
    so if you want jobs to be created, it is quite difficult. plus more jobs are being lost right now due to tech advancements

I may have went past the point oops
    about the scholarship thing, yeah, people can study overseas without scholarship but honestly it is money consuming. unless you are from a relatively well-off family, it isn't feasible to study overseas (especially in better universities for better job prospects)
    I guess it'll just land you in debt before you get a job

Wujigege likes this.
  6. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't a new concept or unique to Asia you know. People have been researching income inequality and how it discourages people from forming families for years now. Possibly decades. You see significant portions of the population similarly choosing not to start a family for economic reasons in the US, and likely many other first world countries as well. It's a ubiquitous phenomenon.

Or...you're a sexist who seems to believe nearly all young women are toxic and cannot hold a relationship. Have you considered examining your own prejudices before calling entire generations toxic?

Beren, Vanidor, Hasr11 and 3 others like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, please read the article.
    The dude in Gu Hara's case was found guilty of blackmailing and assaulting his girlfriend.
    This has nothing to do with feminism.
    Many dudes are just criminals.
    Women are not dating because they see too many dudes around that are treat their girlfriends like crap.
    Unless you think secretly filming women using the bathroom is the fault of feminism

Instead of places in Europe with high cost of living one can aim for middle tier countries as long as its an EU member eg Estonia

8. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not having time to read anything, but I wish I could say that anything in those articles surprises me, all 3 nations are just to over competitive and over worked. Which will eventually cause these issues, as you can only build up stresses and pressure so far before people start to snap, or other problems emerge. And social media letting people be toxic to others/enabling trolls is not helping the problems.

On the K-Pop singer suicide, considering how overworked they are and toxic that industry is known to be with American Idol winners clearing more then way to many groups do after all the costs the labels/music companies push on to the talent, and the stories about sexual abuse that happens in the industry. Add in the online trolling they face. IT is pretty much to much work and pressure with out any real personal time.

As to studying abroad, I know it happens with China, as I ran in to way to many Chinese students in undergrad and Hindu and Muslim as well as an Israeli and a few people from Africa, but do not remember a single Korean of Japanese student. But the school I went to does not have a great international reputation, and was just cheaper for international students. Plus it is known that China has been sending people abroad to study then come back to work in China for years.

I remember a bunch of Japanese media talking about the top school in their country, but not so about people going outside. It would not surprise me if they are seen as a failure for going outside their home country for anything other then the few "elite" international schools. But leaving their society for another nation could be extremely scary to them as well. "Why go to the states, you will just get shot in the street by a mad man or mugger" or some other prejudice.

I would say that requires both talent and either effort or extreme enough talent that effort is not needed (for example photographic memory can cover for studying in the many memorization courses). You can get in to the top half with effort alone, and likely higher, but when almost everyone is putting in effort you are not making the top 10% on effort alone.

And thousands of years of misogyny did not create way to many toxic men?
    Is it really toxic women that are a problem, or "treat me like an equal" women and too many toxic men who were never taught they need to do so?
    Treating women as equals is a problem in every society, but the more unwilling to change or admit its own faults a society is the worse that issue becomes.

Wujigege, Amaruna Myu and Baldingere like this.
  9. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is exactly what I was gonna say. Average pay has not kept up with price of inflation in the US. The marriage rate, homeowner rate and childbirth rate are down in the US too. Things like global warming and crushing student loan debt mean young people are very pessimistic about the future. What the article said about competing with so many people for top jobs and having to work inhuman hours is true here too. I've heard it's normal for new hires at top law firms to work 90 hour weeks.

chencking likes this.
  10. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many things that make people want to lead a simpler life + finding marriage. Job pressure, academics, cost of living, etc. The pressure to live and be capable to support yourself is growing. Most likely to get a good paying job that can support you is through a degree (some exceptions, but it'll definitely be a lot, lot harder when hitting job market unless you're really special good). Academics is hard already. Cost of living has risen, how to think about sharing life with others if you can barely support yourself?

Just like not all men are bad, neither are all woman are bad either. I think this generation is more open minded and better in some ways, not as bad as heavy oppression. Such as how in old days, there are some that will beat their wives after marriage and people turn a blind eye, some that think men should be everything so even though their daughters take care of them, they only think about how the sons are doing. Some expected you to leave your job and be a homemaker after marriage even if you don't want to and are perfectly capable of balancing both family life and career. Not that those things don't also happen nowadays too, but previous generations were definitely much more ….

As for relationships, it involve both genders. So it isn't always just one gender that's to be at fault. Sometimes its the girl, sometimes its the guy. Sometimes its both. Sometimes both have expectations of the opposite gender; and there are bad apples on both sides.

Not talking about extreme radical feminism but a lot of times see feminism viewed negatively over the internet. However hearing other stories out there, feminism has also really helped many ones out there...Changed people's perspectives on what genders can and cannot do, instead of doing it like in the past where just bc of what gender/how you're born, you're viewed as nothing but a stepping stone for another gender.

Sabruness, Baldingere and Wujigege like this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    But like was pointed out with Filipinos, crappy wages for US teachers is a fortune for the Filipinos who teach there and send their wages back home

The point of the article isn't feminism but increase in reported violence against women which has lead many to avoid relationships

12. Deleted member 348269

Reading List:
    Link
    Ik, i was responding to someone else who brought it up though. And hearing other people's stories, be it in past or now, who wouldn't feel to be more cautious a bit?

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I rather this thread doesn't discuss feminism, it might lead to it getting locked.

Besides, toxic feminism is the perfect excuse to dismiss crimes

14. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't have retirement? Isn't retirement something to pursue in cultures that value the elderly?
    Hustle culture mixed with "a poor person's view on money" gets you a generation of sweatshop workers. It sucks.
    Of course young people wouldn't accept that. Personally, I think if the traditional way failed me, I would turn to spirituality and pursue my dream life. Like, pack my things and travel around the world!

Wujigege likes this.
  15. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Traditional retirement plan in those cultures is their kids, well their sons. Which is part of why china's 1 child rule so screwed up their gender balance. A culture that favors sons over daughters in general was a bigger part though.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese government made 2 child policy in 2015 and then 3 child policy recently.
    It is just stupid how they don't see that if one family has one child and a second family has 5 children that their problem gets resolved.

Trying to control humans is like trying to hold tight to beach sand.
    You fail

Baldingere likes this.
  17. Deleted member 348269

Reading List:
    Link
    not in way like ss. it was started from one of the pres seeing so many elderly out without a roof during great depression from what i remember from some class. althu there are a lot of flaws, there's something i guess. something in case no one around to take care elderly. one of reasons why my fam is glad to live here is that at least there's something provided for elderly. certain places heard there isn't exactly one, it just up to kids to support prts.

18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boring threads warrant boring responses, right?

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If "lying flat" refers to being content with the status quo, then yes, I too am lying flat.
    Promotions are too much work anyway.

20. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    The planet is overpopulated. All of our difficulties come from that fact - pollution, unemployment, shitty salary for most decent jobs and an expensive housing market, depression and hopelessness, constant inflation, neverending wars, immigration tsunamis, economic crises. Now we're in a different stage of "behavioral sink", sigh. Well, that's if we are to trust experiments done on mice. Can't deny current Western society is very similar though. Then it seems like the planet wants to cull our numbers too. And has been doing that forever lol, just that we're too good at procreating and inventing. I kinda wish some being a bit more patient than Thanos pops in for a visit and kills all sadistic murderers, rapists, child molesters, domestic abusers, and corrupt politicians and bankers, and reduces our numbers to manageable levels. Amen. Bring forth the apocalypse, I can't stand this place.

ANonMouse and Wing0 like this.